S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Engine Swaps (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/engine-swaps-13/)
-   -   MPG question (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/engine-swaps-13/mpg-question-32085/)

JDM_Freak 04-22-2006 11:51 PM

MPG question

ok, my dad bought me a 1989 240sx coupe. ive been playing with b16 hondas and i want to build a turbo drift car now with lots of power(i know thats not the key of drifting). now heres the question, gas prices are going way up and im far from rich im thinking of doing an RB20DET swap for my 240 but its a 6cyl turb so could you tell me how many MPG you get? my friends have been telling me to go with the SR20DET because of the aftermarket support. How many MPG does the SR20 get? my HP goal is 450~500WHP.

Thanks in advance :)

JDM_Freak 04-22-2006 11:55 PM

Oh and this will be my daily driver.

Bryan 04-23-2006 07:05 AM

with 500hp your gas mileage isn't going to be that great

Helghast 04-23-2006 07:09 AM

at that HP..your looking @ 10mpg MAX.

Stock is around 14mpg..

and don't do RB20, that's Uber weak sauce.

JDM_Freak 04-23-2006 09:01 AM

I figured it would be around that. 10 is the SR20 right? well considering i drove a B20 turbo that only got 14 MPG it wont be such a big deal.

pck3 04-23-2006 07:30 PM

gas is so high it blows

JDM_Freak 04-23-2006 08:04 PM

$3.19 here

Helghast 04-24-2006 12:18 AM

suckers.

$2.86 for 91 here..

but we only get 91.

LAME.

motegineon 04-24-2006 09:57 PM

with my sr i avg around 20ish in city and 30highway

iroc07 04-25-2006 12:49 AM

20mpg is pretty good for an SR they are ussually a little lower than that, but that might be cause most of the ones we do arent stock. as far as an RB20 being "weak" if anyone wants to bring their relatively stock SR and add it to the list of SR cars my RB cars will destroy you are more than welcome. RB gets better miles per gallon for one simple reason..... usable Tq. YOu can go down the road and up hills without giving it as much go pedal as a 4banger. I have a RB20 powered 240 as my daily driver, and I get way better gas mileage than the 2 SR cars that we have sitting here right now. aftermarket support is there, just have to look someplace other than ebay for some stuff. not to mention that common replacement parts are most times cheaper for an RB cause everyone isnt trying to get them like an SR. I have said it a hundred times on here, I do this stuff everyday and RB is the way to go for most people, yet everyone insists on sounding like a broken record about SRs. Unless you have both or drive both on a daily basis please do not confuse people with your opinions that you cant back up. And like I said if anyone wants to challenge one of my RBs bring it over and get stomped, and then I will drive home and get better MPG.
or even better if you want to get some facts, come to my shop and I will show you the cars, take you for a ride, and you can see what I am talking about.

Waynehead05 04-25-2006 02:42 PM

gotta ask... what cars do you own... and what motors are in them? and what kinda power are they putting down... and what fuel economy do they get?

i was head over heels rb20 for a while just so you know.

JDM_Freak 04-25-2006 05:48 PM

Thanks guys, now my next question is in order to get around 450-500hp wich motor can do it for less money? I heard the RB20 but i dunno. what do u guys think?

motegineon 04-25-2006 11:04 PM

my sr isnt close to stock, but yea i know what your saying

iroc07 04-26-2006 02:44 AM

wayne- I have one of the first ever RB powered 240s that is almost bone stock (HKS air filter) I have a 280Z an S14 that was supposed to be the first RB26DETT AWD car, but some chick with a huge wallet beat me to that. Please people dont start with the "I saw one that was done, uhhhh except it didnt run" I know people tried but I was gonna do it right and reliable. I have been having titling issues with that car cause the guy I bought it off of was a d1ck. I have a 300ZX Z32, I also own a R32 skyline that is still in Japan untill my buddy leaves for San Deigo in a few months. Hes in the navy and is driving it untill he needs to leave, and then it is being sent over here. I have a Nissan hardbody pickup that it getting a Q45 V8 and turned into a frame draggin show truck, but I havent decided if I want to TT the Q motor or not, so its still sitting on the shelf. I have about 10 RB motors waiting to go in cars, including a 600Hp RB25 going into a convertible. Yes we are building a full cage for it so it doesnt twist like a pretzel. The guy that owns the convertable used to be MR. SR, he did lots of swaps and had a few of them himself, and when I took him for one ride in my RB car, and ALL of his SR stuff including the motor that was in the car, was put up and sold on ebay that same night! I have a 92 that I put a SR into for a guy at the shop right now, along with 4 other RB 240s that are being upgraded, or have other things done to them, and we are painting another Z32TT right now. I thinks thats all of the ones I have around right now, but I might have forgotten one or two (its kinda late).
I get over 20MPG and I am in a city, and I tend to drive like an A-hole cause people are stupid and I have an RB so I can pass them, and I do.
as far as what motor would be easiest to get that HP number, RB25 would be your best bet, not just because of the motor, but the tranny as well. RB20 trans will not hold up to 500HP for a long time.
If you need a car built, or a motor biult and sent to you ready to drop in let me know, I have done that before. I am building a car for a guy in TX right now. it will be shipped to him turnkey ready to go.
if there is anyone else that either wants proof of any of this, or thinks they know more about it than I do, please let me know. I love learning new FACTS, not bench racing, but facts are good.

JDM_Freak 05-04-2006 08:23 PM

The RB25 can handle more HP than the RB20 right?