S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Engine Swaps (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/engine-swaps-13/)
-   -   No Boost (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/engine-swaps-13/no-boost-16017/)

rkcarguy 09-23-2004 01:49 AM

No Boost

I took my RB20DET swap out for a drive. I only boost up to about 2 lbs! I tried adjusting the wastegate and also removed the BOV to make sure it wasn't messing things up, and still the same 2lbs of boost. Any ideas what is wrong? I checked the charge pipes and no leaks, turbo spins very nicely and attains it's 2 psi really quick but no more than that. Swap is firing on all cylinders, runs good idles good 180 PSI compression on all 6 holes.

???????????????????

iroc07 09-23-2004 02:27 AM

Does it pull hard? I think you might have a gauge malfunction, cause 2 pounds you will barely notice anything. I boost over 2 pounds backing mine out of the garage.
Also, hit me up when you are back on here, I want to know where that pic of your girlfriends car with the R32 front end is... cant find that pic anywhere.
iroc_07@yahoo.com

-HyJynX- 09-23-2004 09:34 AM

Odd. Are you sure your Gauge is working properly, and connected properly?

TWT00 09-23-2004 11:50 AM

I would say that it sounds like everyone else says, the gauge. Just to be safe check every intercooler/intake pipe for leaks. Does it hold that 2 psi or not? If it holds the 2 psi then I would say its the gauge IMO.

jonpowell 09-23-2004 03:23 PM

If you have a mechanical boost gauge, the rubber line to it might be getting pinched.

rkcarguy 09-24-2004 03:47 PM

No it's actually slow-feels like a 2.0 liter with no boost. I tried switching the guage, I have 3 of them kicking around, and still the same 2lbs. It also cold starts horrible it will turn over and almost run, again and again, then if I remove the charge pipe and spray a little starter fluid in it will take off. I actually suspect that maybe the holes aren't located right in the turbo or exhaust housing and my wastegate because when I rev it there's a weird noise coming from the turbo but it spins freely?

jonpowell 09-24-2004 05:02 PM

Is there a boost leak?

Are you using the stock ECU to control boost?

Check your temp sensor(2 wires) and see if maybe its not working properly(should be able to swap it with the stock 240SX temp sensor)

Check voltage between pin 1 on the temp sensor and ground, should be +5V.

The voltage at 20 deg C(68 deg F) should be +3V and at 80 Deg C(176 deg F) should be +1V.

rkcarguy 09-25-2004 11:39 PM

I'm using the stock ECU. Still have no boost I'm going to remove the downpipe and exh housing tomorrow and make sure the wastegate flapper lines up with the bypass hole in the turbo casting-I think it's off and that's where my boost is going because I can't find anything else wrong. My KA SOHC went to the trash awhile ago but I can source another sensor alot of people have Ka's laying around.