S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Engine Swaps (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/engine-swaps-13/)
-   -   RB20 dyno put up or shutup (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/engine-swaps-13/rb20-dyno-put-up-shutup-14974/)

Id- 08-13-2004 07:12 PM

RB20 dyno put up or shutup

I'm debating with myself on the advantages of using the RB20 vs the SR20 and I dont feel to get this into a pissing match as there's plenty of info on this forum

EXCEPT

everyone rants and raves about the RB20 being so great; and through all my searching for DAYS I have NOT been able to find ANYTHING showing the amount of power that everyone claims they can make

I've seen a couple dynocharts on google searches; but they show LESS hp than equivalent SR20s... so lets get our facts straight here...

who here has a RB20 swap and who here has dynoed it? convince me to get one; i have a good friend who has a SR20 swap and made 250whp on the stock turbo with a front mount... if the RB20 is so good, it should be able to outdo this right? especially with its higher stock redline and slightly larger turbo correct?
and before anyone says anything; i wasnt born yesterday; i know there are quite a few different dynos (mustang, dynojet, DD, etc)... and dont tell me to get a RB25, they are $3500ish; if i was going to sling that amount of money, i'd get a Toyota 1jz clip and use it instead :)

lets see it; i'm calling you all out! :D

rkcarguy 08-14-2004 10:17 AM

My swap is in the works, hopefully fire it up next week. I upgraded to a T3/T4, the stock turbo was way too small even though a ballbearing water cooled unit. I have to plumb in the new turbo and install the FMIC and piping. I think it will eat up the SR20, the ports are the same size as the SR, but there are 6 of them for the same 2.0 liters. The inline 6 will also rev higher thanks to a no rocker design and also will make more torque. I'll post a slip we don't have a dyno around this $hithole where I live.

Id- 08-14-2004 08:39 PM

i hope it makes torque i really do; its just lower cylinder count cars with the same displacement make more low-end torque than their higher cylinder cousins

i was hoping to see what someone could do on the stock turbo first, i dont plan on upgrading the turbo until the install was done and correct

Id- 08-15-2004 03:13 PM

still no one... i guess my friend was right; the reason the RB20 isnt worth using is because you cant make any power with it...

i guess its gonna be a sr20... thx guys!

xjon 08-15-2004 07:11 PM

Good choice! And smart friend.

E-spec240 08-15-2004 08:35 PM

yes, go w/ the SR, I have heard it is really hard to find parts if the RB breaks down on you. or even if your going to replace worn out parts.

-HyJynX- 08-15-2004 09:00 PM

Ha, IMO the RB20 will always be suprior to the SR. The SR is only better in one category, Aftermarket support

jonpowell 08-16-2004 05:00 AM

No the SR is way better...I am so glad that another pompous ass wont be getting an RB motor...

-HyJynX- 08-16-2004 09:26 AM

Originally posted by jonpowell
No the SR is way better...I am so glad that another pompous ass wont be getting an RB motor...
:laugh: :thumb:

WILDACEXXX 08-16-2004 10:32 AM

for sum reason a sr20 seems more modern than a rb20. i maybe wrong though :D

xjon 08-16-2004 10:57 AM

Jon- you got a way with words. Im being sarcastic and you just give it to them BLUNT.

Keep up the good work. I mean your support for RB community.

l2aine 08-16-2004 11:27 AM

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
Ha, IMO the RB20 will always be suprior to the SR. The SR is only better in one category, Aftermarket support
I'm opposite you buddy - the way I see it, if the RB20 was so great, why aren't there a lot of companies in Japan coming out with full parts lines for it, or swapping it into their project cars?

Ah nevermind we'll talk about this in person LOL

ArticDragon 08-16-2004 12:58 PM

Maybe because it is an old engine and a little more complicated to put into the 240 than an SR would be? True, the SR is and old engine too, but the RB is older and hasn't been developed as much as the SR. Is the RB20 still used in car or used in another car recently?

-HyJynX- 08-16-2004 04:01 PM

Raine, we will have that conversation in person sometime soon:thumb::D

rkcarguy 08-16-2004 05:48 PM

well thats ok if the RB gets popular they will be expensive and overated just like the SR20. Just like when honda WAS the $hit there was believers that only the B-series swaps were hot and I enjoyed kicking their as$es with my turbo single cam D16, and spent alot less.