S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Engine Swaps (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/engine-swaps-13/)
-   -   SR20DET swap "legal" in CA? (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/engine-swaps-13/sr20det-swap-legal-ca-2805/)

jmc_type4 02-03-2003 02:19 AM

SR20DET swap "legal" in CA?

"Can I see your licence and registration? '

- And while you're at it, pop the hood, punk."

Ahhhh...

Perhaps a stupid question here, but I haven't seen this addressed directly. With all the interest amongst 240fans in the KA24->SR20DET swap, and assuming that we're not a community of lemmings, I want to ask if this swap renders your car illegal in the eyes of th California DMV. (or in other states)

I haven't heard any tales of cop-inflicted woe from peeps who got it done SR20DET-style, but I'm wondering if this is a case of "don't ask, don't tell". ;)

Any thoughts, or stories on this topic?

Mitch

boro240 02-03-2003 02:31 AM

110% illegal everywhere. only question is can you get away with it.

TheProfessional 02-03-2003 03:46 PM

yes, IN NO WAY is the swap technically legal. but if a cop pops your hood and goes "ahhh an s13 sr20det redtop, how interesting..." then he's the man and you deserve a ticket if he gives you one! my point is, that most likely wont happen, so just get the motor to pass smog tests, and dont post "SR20DET POWER" or something stupid like that on your windshield.

calidrifter 02-03-2003 05:32 PM

illegal

There actually maybe a way to get the car to pass smog legally but it will cost a lot more than anyone would pay. the guys at MotoRex in Gardena, CA can help you get it so that you dont have to pay the smog tester any "money" to pass the test for you. to find out more check out www.motorex.net

EvilCerealBoX 02-05-2003 11:07 AM

heres an easy way to pass the smog test... get to know a local mechanic... i know they always seem to have the hook up on those kinda things...then ask'em to pass the test thing ya know?

TheProfessional 02-05-2003 11:17 AM

evilmunchmybox,
that made absolutely no sense.

EvilCerealBoX 02-05-2003 04:43 PM

sure it does... lemme try rephrasing it then

know a local mechanic with connections to smog tests and stuff like that.... ask him/her to just pass you for the smog test and everything.... then you wouldn't have to worry about it not passing smog test ....

there, was that simpler?

evilmunchmybox,
by the way, changing my name like that was completely unnecessary

TheProfessional 02-05-2003 05:01 PM

agreed... sorry man for changing your name around.

2FortyessX 02-11-2003 07:28 PM

Originally posted by TheProfessional
yes, IN NO WAY is the swap technically legal. but if a cop pops your hood and goes "ahhh an s13 sr20det redtop, how interesting..." then he's the man and you deserve a ticket if he gives you one! my point is, that most likely wont happen, so just get the motor to pass smog tests, and dont post "SR20DET POWER" or something stupid like that on your windshield.
omg i just ordered 5 of those stickers:mad:... lol but really i was going to hint at it somewhere in my car.

I'm with Stupid 02-11-2003 07:33 PM

Originally posted by 2FortyessX
i was going to hint at it somewhere in my car.
No better place than the engine bay.:thumb: