S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   General (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/general-3/)
-   -   1990 240sx keeps dieing...help... (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/general-3/1990-240sx-keeps-dieing-help-16201/)

truckin 09-29-2004 08:56 PM

1990 240sx keeps dieing...help...

My roommate has a 1990 240sx, it ate 2 alternators this past summer. According to the mechanics. The car died again, and the battery would start on a jump and die after the jumpers were taken off. We went to walmart bought a new battery, and replaced it. 3 days later it is dead again. it has the 2.5ltr engine. What should i be looking for, it seems to be stock, the power seat belts havent worked in years, it has a CB which works, and a sony cd player. Thanks for any help you can give.

Waynehead05 09-29-2004 09:43 PM

redo the engine grounds. aka "big 3"

Bryan 09-30-2004 03:35 AM

its 2.4 liters, and try what waynehead said

truckin 09-30-2004 07:41 AM

can you guys go more indepth or try more to be more specific, thanks for the replys but if u have posts with directions. I work on cars all the time, so I am guessing you are saying buy a ground kit off ebay or at a shop get likt 8-4ga wire and do it, but need to know what the big 3 is and where it is all located.

DRiften 09-30-2004 10:27 AM

its your alternator. if you already chaged 2.. what are the odds that this time it went bad on you again??? .

how do i know its the alternator? well, as you said that when you take the jumpers off, the car dies, its because the alternator doesnt give any energy, so the car sucks power from the battery. and i bet the battery already died. and then you went and bought a new battery. ok, first 3 days it was basically runnin the engine with the power from the battery, and none from the alternotor.. so after 3 days, the battery died.

try upgradin the alternator, it might help.

and try take it to a mechanic, he can see the problem. we cant. so our solutions are limited.

devnull 09-30-2004 12:34 PM

What they meant by redo the engine grounds is that you should clean them and the surfaces they contact and apply dielectric compound to them.

DRiften 10-01-2004 12:58 AM

in other words, change the whole damn engine lol

lanb135 10-01-2004 11:11 AM

take it to a better mechanic..

Sirikool 10-02-2004 07:57 PM

Originally posted by lanb135
take it to a better mechanic..
:werd:

slo9012Vde 10-05-2004 09:52 AM

sounds like my problem, i changed out that alternator then took it to a mechanic and he re-did the wiring harness to the alt so that it actually charges now haha.. but i still have a problem when nothing on the car works until i rev the engine a little bit... so but i looked at the battery cables and found out that the person that did them was a total F*** tard.. he messed them all up.. so i am going to re-do mine also, but does anyone have a good suggestion as to where to ground them? mines grounded to the block and thats it.. so i dont know.. good luck mines a 90 240 also..

Amolao 10-07-2004 11:36 AM

I noticed that too, mechanics cant wire s&^t!!! They should go thru electronics or electrical training before graduation:D

This guy work on my cylinder head gasket and replaced the plugs on injectors, Man! they love "butt' connectors and black tape.....everywhere in my engine....Im going to re doit just for looks and durability.....:bigok: