S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   General (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/general-3/)
-   -   help with pulling my motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/general-3/help-pulling-my-motor-34707/)

blackhatch 09-03-2006 06:19 PM

help with pulling my motor

i got a 91 SE that is on the verge of blowing the motor. i got another KA and tranny from the exact same car ('91, 5sp, SE, etc.) with low miles and i'd like to drop that motor and tranny in. i want to try to pull my motor and install the other KA on my own. i have an engine lift and basic car tools. can someone give me a quick break down of what i have to do? btw, i never did anything like this before so you may need to dumb it down. the hardest car related thing i have done so far is either working an engine lift or changing the oil...

i dont imagine it being THAT hard because its basically pulling out a motor and replacing it with the exact same one. any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

ka-tdrift 09-03-2006 06:39 PM

disconnect all wires vacume hoses ect attached to the engine. disconnect the drive shaft from the rear and the tranny. pull exhaust manifold off if you can remove the shifter out of the tranny. may need to remove intake manifold as well. bolt engine hoist to motor. if ou have decent friend have him unbolt trans cross member while you unbolt motor mounts. proceed to jacking then do the exact oppisit you did to install new motor

ka-tdrift 09-03-2006 06:40 PM

sorry buddy thats how me and a friend pulled his motor wasn't to hard but alot easier with 2 people

motegineon 09-03-2006 06:57 PM

me and my little brother did his, if you start early you could have it out and back in in the same day, or atleast a weekend

blackhatch 09-03-2006 09:51 PM

...so can i pull the motor with the tranny attached to it? or do i need to take out the shifter first, then disconnect the tranny to take out the block and then take out the tranny?

Bryan 09-03-2006 10:00 PM

You can pull it with the shifter intact, its just easier to remove it and pull it out to help clearance. Pull the engine and the tranny at the same time, hell of a lot easier than seperating it from the engine. Also be sure to release the fuel pressure by pulling the fuel pump fuse and cranking the car. Then just disconnect anything that attaches the engine to the chasis.

blackhatch 09-03-2006 10:12 PM

"You can pull it with the shifter intact, its just easier to remove it and pull it out to help clearance. Pull the engine and the tranny at the same time, hell of a lot easier than seperating it from the engine. Also be sure to release the fuel pressure by pulling the fuel pump fuse and cranking the car. Then just disconnect anything that attaches the engine to the chasis."

i understood everything except for that line...no idea what it means.:dunno: so far to my knowledge, i have to: disconnect all wires and hoses connected to the motor. jack up the car and unbolt the motor and tranny everywhere its connected to the chassis (i.e. crossarms, mounts, driveshaft, exhaust, etc.) while it is hooked up to the engine lift. pull the the motor/tranny out. take new motor/tranny and lower it into the car and re-wire/plug/bolt it up exactly the way the old one was.

Bryan 09-03-2006 10:17 PM

Replied to your PM