General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

KA24DE w/nitrous,how much can it handle.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 09:30 AM

How about you dont waste your money on nitrous and not blowing your motor and using the money to send the motor to some poor man in need of a motor, like me! What do you say!
(i blew my motor)
Old 03-16-2005, 11:53 AM
Contributing Member

well since i had my 89 240, i blew my sohc ( lasted from july04-jan05 ) and i put a dohc in and blew ( 2 weeks previous owner suckec) they, both were highmilage and i took care of them. I was impressed by the amount of tq the stock motors had. i doctored them up a lil and with my shifting ability i beat lots of cars in drag. ( first victim( eg civic usdm with a B18C1 in it )

but drag is not my main concern , i have been into drifting for about 3 years now. So for money reasons. I will go with a KA. I didnt know guys where getting 400 plus hp out of these motors.

becuase ill be entering drifting comps, im afraid that this will not be my last blown motor. ( just part of the game as u guys already know) I will take the blown one out lol and fix the spun bearing( hopefully). and ill purchase another to hold me over.

then im going to boost it once i have taken car of the basics.

The phat-ka t guys have lots of info and benchmarks
Old 04-04-2005, 08:34 PM

First off, I suggest that you read this thread about progressive control. It might help answer some of your questions about the limits of nitrous. I cannot personally validate what the author is saying, but a lot of smart people on sr20forums appear to agree with the info.

DUH. I forgot the link http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=59689
Old 04-05-2005, 08:46 AM

Progressive units are nice. It states that you can run a 125 shot NO PROBLEMS, but not to start the injections until after 3000RPM when injecting that much, this was stated on smaller displacement 4 bangers.
But what wasn't discussed was the displacement of the "4BANGERS". Cam lobe and duration, and you also have to take into consideration the displacement, bore and stroke of the engine. Also the compression rating of the engine, KA engine's 91-94 (CR8.5:1), the 95-98 (CR9.5:1)
SR's and "boo boo neons" are 2.0 and 2.2 displacement.
With a progressive injection unit on a KA you can run a 150shot with "NO PROBLEMS"........
You can also start the injection's earlier than 3000RPM, take into consideration that the torque curve starts early on a stroker crank KA. SR and NEON's don't start there HIGH REV torque until after 3000RPM........
Old 04-05-2005, 12:03 PM

Good post Vinnie, I was hoping someone could apply the stuff about progressive control to the KA.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:12 PM

Thank you SneakyMilo, I would of never thought of discussing progressive injection.
I think what people also need to take into consideration are fogger systems, and weither or not you wan't wet or dry injection, those also make huge differences in the performance and type of engine.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:23 PM

vinnie ive noticed you're really big on cam specs with more duration. it makes you sound very turbo. of course in the nitrous world its just as important to have more duration on the exhaust side, most tend to think of cams as just having a hotter grind to them. you remind me of an article i read on a 95 camaro with 3000+ hp. the guy kept saying "yeah all im gonna say is i dont think these turbo guys run with enough intake duration.... but thats just me."
Old 04-05-2005, 02:44 PM

Well as far as running nos "I would leave the stock intake cam", and probably use just a performance exhaust cam from PDM racing or "any other exhaust cam for that matter". This will allow more heat from the combustion cycle to leave the engine, and allow the egine to do less work, removing torque as the biproduct and freeing up HP. But if making the lobe to high and the duration to long the engine may not be streetable for legal smog applications. I think using the stock intake cam would be safer running higher injections of NOS. Especially for NOOBS.
Yeah I know I talk alot about cam specs, cams are the lungs of the engine. cams also show the largest performance gains besides ecu reprogramming. Wasn't ever really trying to be any other tuner "being turbo, blower, or NOS", just trying to be original.

You dont allway's have to take my advice either, I see some people just do ecu reprogramming and using timing gears to advance or retard the stock OEM cams to obtain more HP.....

Last edited by BigVinnie; 04-05-2005 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:24 PM

uk calling

alrite guys,i do like this site,its amazing wot u can learn on these pages!!! especially when you don't know alot 2 start with like me! is that rite wot u said vinnie about the 2 biggest hp gains,are through ecu and cam upgrades,if so i can't wait till satday when i go and finally get my car from tuner,it will b interesting 2 c how much difference the jun cams and hks ecu have made on my car?
Old 04-05-2005, 05:58 PM

Thats correct