S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   General (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/general-3/)
-   -   Start up problems (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/general-3/start-up-problems-24765/)

SpeedDemon4x4 07-21-2005 09:54 AM

Start up problems

Ok the car starts and all but its hard to get it to start to crank over. When i turn the key nothing happens at first so i keep turning it and turning it. And then about the 6 or 7 time or even more it will start right up. Whats the cuase of this? Thanks!

Slidin240 07-21-2005 10:17 AM

could be the starter :confused:

SpeedDemon4x4 07-21-2005 10:21 AM

Dont think its the starter. Becuase it doesn't set there and click or try to turn over ... Its after a few turn the car start up.. And the starter cranks it right up..

Slidin240 07-21-2005 10:49 AM

check the distributor. Autozone has em pretty cheap, change the cap & rotor too.

SpeedDemon4x4 07-21-2005 10:51 AM

the guy just replaced it.

Cape 240 07-21-2005 11:10 AM

Starter, altenator, or distributor.

Have someone look at it under the hood while you try to start it.

Slidin240 07-21-2005 11:34 AM

if its not starter or distributor check for spark. (spark plugs/cables)

if its not that i would say alternator but thats used AFTER the car is turned on...

th3br4d 07-21-2005 12:10 PM

Look at the terminals at the battery. Mine are slipping off and I have to pop the hood and put them back on to get my car to start..

Fast1One 07-21-2005 12:12 PM

^^^Make sure they are clean too...

LA_phantom_240 07-21-2005 03:27 PM

omfg... the distributor and spark plugs will not keep the engine from truning over. Its the starter. I will guarantee that. My acura does the same thing. If you and i have the same problem, sometimes you turn the key, and it clicks one time, not like when the battery is low. You turn it, click. Turn it, click. Turn it, truns over. If that is what its doing, then what the problem is is theres 2 copper contacts inside the starter, where the end of the rotor is. These contacts are hammered out, or jsut plain worn. You can take the starter apart, take those contacts out, and beat them into a shape that will work for you. BUT, if when you turn the key, and the starter clicks really fast like theres low juice, than this isnt the problem. In my acura, the starter is worn out to the point where sometimes while its turning over it will just stop before the car runs, and i have to turn the key again to start it.

Also, you could have a bad solenoid inside the starter, which will cause the starter to spin, but not turn the flywheel. The solenoid activates the bendix, which is the gear on the outside of the starter. The bendix is retracted while running and when shut off, but when you activate the starter, it shoots outward and splines with the flywheel.

Sorry, i dont mean to flame, its just that it seems theres no real info posted.

Slidin240 07-21-2005 06:42 PM

well he did say the starter is good so im just giving him some ideas....

SpeedDemon4x4 07-21-2005 07:16 PM

Well the guy i got the car from gave me another starter.. So i will probably put that one on and see what happens. Thanks for all your in puts!!!!!! :bigok:

Cape 240 07-21-2005 08:39 PM

No flame there, Phantom ... very nice write up .. i always wondered what they called it.. the "Bendix" ... i was working on a riding lawnmower the other day lol, and the celenoid turned out bad.. I knew it was b/c that wasn't popping up, now I know what its called!