General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Stripped interior but...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 08:04 PM

Stripped interior but...

Ok everyone, since I was bored last weekend I stripped the interior...back seats, passenger seat, carpet, sound deadening, trunk, spare tire...but I have a problem...I cant seem to get the tar off of the body and their is mold on it which for the life of me will not come up...any suggestions on the mold/tar removal?
Old 03-18-2003, 10:03 PM

dry ice
Old 03-19-2003, 10:14 AM

Run it over it or what...sorry dont mean to sound stupid here...I know I will need a scrapper...but what should I do with the ice?
Old 03-19-2003, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

You freeze the tar so it's easier to scrap off.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:46 PM

That is what I figured, just wasnt sure if their was something specific I needed to do with it. Thanx alot.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

that glue stuff that is on the seams????

if that's what you talkin about, then you might wana replace it after you remove it.
it will help keep the floor pans water tight..

trust me. i made that mistake, and had the nerve to wonder where all the water was comming from after late night practice sessions in the rain
Old 03-19-2003, 08:12 PM

Yeah, well gotta fix the damn sunroof first, and since I really cant seem to find the parts for under 500 bux, that may be a while. But yeah, I planned on replacing it before I put carpet down...and upon the suggestion of a few close friends/tuners, possibly dynamating it as well.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by rudeboy
that glue stuff that is on the seams????

if that's what you talkin about, then you might wana replace it after you remove it.
it will help keep the floor pans water tight..

trust me. i made that mistake, and had the nerve to wonder where all the water was comming from after late night practice sessions in the rain
Ok you just stopped me from getting rid of the tar. I did get rid of the plastic covered wool material.

It looked like candy shelled crap.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:58 AM

And if you think I should keep the old stuff in, what can I do to get that mold out? I tried 50/50 bleach/water and ALOT of scrubbing to no avail.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by StanBo
Ok you just stopped me from getting rid of the tar. I did get rid of the plastic covered wool material.

It looked like candy shelled crap.
i dont mean the tar, but under the tar, behind the front seats where the floor pans meet there is a glue like substance that seals it up. it wont be easy to remove in the fisrt place, but if you do get it out, just get some auto caulking and replace it in a nice neat fashion. then respray the whole interior...that's what i did. the interior looked hot..

so dont be discouraged. the effort will pay off. you will lose about 45-60lbs depending on how far you take it.
you can take out the padding and vynal/tar type stuff under the dash along the firewall too. that stuff is heavy.. and dont forget to take off the panels behind the doors(where the seatbelt things are) and get that tar out... there is tons of it.

damn i miss my car
Old 03-20-2003, 07:42 PM

While I am at it, I need to get the automatic seat belts out...anyone have any instructions how to do this?
Old 03-21-2003, 03:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by wushu4u
While I am at it, I need to get the automatic seat belts out...anyone have any instructions how to do this?
I might be able to help you out with that in a week or so. I have to rip out my belts. They are gummed up.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:48 AM

I found an instruction site a while back...showed how to replace them with normal seat belts from non automatic cars...cant find that site anymore though.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:20 AM

This may be a dumbass question, but by removing all that foam padding and insulation stuff, won't the interior noise level increase dramatically? Engine noise, road noise, etc. Or is that not a consideration for what you're trying to accomplish?

M.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:31 AM

My worries about the noise were minimum, but I have considered it and that is why I mentioned I will likely be dynamatting the floorboards. This should help for heat and sound deadening.

Quick Reply: Stripped interior but...