How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

s13 hatch leak and powersteering leak fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Banned

s13 hatch leak and powersteering leak fix

Ok, Im new to the whole how tos/intallations thread, but im going to give it a try.I did this as an experiment and it really worked fast. Here ill be explaining how to fix your hatch leak for under 8 bucks and how to fix that pesky powersteering leak,squeak and whine.This is not your usual way to fix hatch leaks, but i managed to get it fixed for under 8 bucks.Heres what you need.

1.smallest permatex ultra black gasket sealant
2. 1 inch hanger piece for small holes
3. something flat to smooth out surfaces, i used a knife

First things first. Check the bottom left and right corners of your hatch. Notice that its a hole that looks like its suppose to drain water away from getting in your car. Mine had a quarter sized hole on both sides.Take a quarter sized glob of the gasket sealant and put it in the gap on the outside of the whole.That way water will wash OFF of the car instead of going in.

Second,check for more holes, small or big around the weather stripping and plastic pieces to fill up.Once the gasket is done, run a hose over your hatch to see if you have missed anything. If your hatch no longer leaks at this point, pat yourself on the back, you have fixed that pesky leak cheaply and permanantly. If it leaks a small amount.Seal that spot up.

We all know how good it feels to have powersteering while drifting and daily driving. You drive one day and notice that your steering is making that awful whining noise when your turning at low speed,reversing, etc. You pop the hood and check your powersteering pump and hoses and notice that it is all wet.

First things first, Know where the leak is coming from and how big. Heres all you need to fix it. Luca's Powersteering fix and 1 big dot of high temp gasket sealant.

This is very simple and requires 2 pple to do unless you remove the hood.

1.remove all powersteering fluid with a turkey baster and put it in a container because we might be using it later
2. Put full 12oz bottle in the powersteering reservoir. Its ok if it all doesnt go in, you can add more when done.
3.Crank car up and and slowly turn steering wheel all the way to the right and then all the way to the left.

If you have done step 3 and there is no leak,no noise then pat yourself on the back, your troubles are over. Now go out there and test drive it and see how it good it feels to hear a nice quiet steering system.

Note:You can add additional old fluid ontop of the luca's powersteering fix. You may also notice that the powersteering may start back up making noise, but its faint and will go away within a few hrs of driving. It has to go through the whole system.

Any questions or comments, just ask. Ill be more than happy to explain.

As I said before, this is my first time ever posting a how to so dont expect a first timer to be perfect.