S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   How Tos / Installations (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/how-tos-installations-48/)
-   -   How to solder like a man (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/how-tos-installations-48/how-solder-like-man-39061/)

Durdan 05-01-2007 05:53 PM

How to solder like a man

20 Attachment(s)
Ok... heres how i like to solder. which is man style, which means its the right way. haha

actually, this is the most efficient way to solder i have found. strongest holds, lowest resistance... (i.e. ballertastic)

Weapons of mass destruction:
Attachment 23312

includes:
40watt soldering iron (needed for thicker wires-dont cheap out-go 40w)
.032 Rosin-core solder (.032 melts quick, draws in nicely)
Knipex side cutters (these things can cut through a house)
Mechanical wire stripper (found at home depot)

Wire strippers:
Attachment 23313
Attachment 23314

our victims for tonights procedure:
Attachment 23315

pick your size, insert wire, squeeze handles:
Attachment 23316
Attachment 23317

This is how you join two wire ends together (i.e. lengthen). Push the two wire ends togther so the strands mesh well. you want copper on copper contact!! DO NOT 'TIN' EACH WIRE AND MELT TOGETHER!!
Attachment 23318

then twist the two so they basically make one wire. pay attention to make sure that the twist is tight and no points are poking out:
Attachment 23319

Now, to add a wire to another (i.e. splicing onto like for an SAFC, etc). Strip your signal wire in the middle of the insulation where you would like to make your tap:
Attachment 23320
Attachment 23321
Attachment 23322

line up your wire that is making the tap (stripped like previously explained):
Attachment 23323

twist on:
Attachment 23324

Time to solder! you'll need your iron nice and hot, your solder and a wet papertowel to clean the tip when done:
Attachment 23325

*Notice: There are many different strategies for soldering. This is the way i do things and it has proved most useful for me*

if you are using a new soldering iron, it takes time for a 'hotspot' to emerge. the iron may be hot, but you eventually form a spot where solder melts the quickest. once you have this spot 'made', soldering becomes extremely quick and efficient.

let me preface with my method explained first, then step by step with pictures.

once you have your wires stripped and twisted, apply solder to your iron's hotspot. this is where the solder will melt, but also stay on the iron as a little bubble. apply this bubble to the twisted bare wire and gently feed more solder to the bubble. after seconds, you will see the solder soak into the wire. this is how you know that you have heated the wire to the proper temperature. add solder to the wire and watch it melt into the nooks and crannies until the joint is covered uniformly. let cool before disturbing the joint (they can pull apart while hot). i even like to soak some solder into the ends of the wire going into the insulation for extra joint strength.

NEVER APPLY A "COLD JOINT"!! this is when you melt solder ONTO the wire without the wires being heated up. always heat from under, with the wire in constant contact with the solder bubble on the iron. the bubble is essential for heat transfer as it allows more surface area for heat to flow. if you were to just lay the wire onto the bare iron with no presolder it would take forever to heat; if at all!

now the pics!

adding the solder 'bubble' to the iron:
Attachment 23326

the bubble:
Attachment 23327

applying the bubble to the underside of the wire and holding it there during soldering:
Attachment 23328

apply solder to the bubble and to the wire until the entire joint is saturated. you want the solder IN the connection... not ON it..:
Attachment 23329

1st joint "end to end":
Attachment 23330

2nd joint "the tap splice"
Attachment 23331

hope this helps

RuizXIII 05-01-2007 06:26 PM

Very good info that everyone should know.
Thanks Taylor.

positron 05-01-2007 06:34 PM

I bought this nice little soldering kit a couple three months ago and it's been sitting there collecting dust. Great write-up, now I can get this done!

jramosthe1st! 05-01-2007 10:46 PM

nice but i still prefer to use a pencil torch.
the procedure is a bit different but if done correctly both will yield good results

Durdan 05-02-2007 05:00 AM

yes, but with pencil torch, you run the risk of burning the wire and causing the copper to become brittle, not too mention melting the insulation back further

cronux 05-02-2007 09:01 PM

nice freakin solders durdan. mine look like bird poop.

ryguy 05-02-2007 09:08 PM

Brian! Vinnie! Airman Jackson! Charles! Somebody with mod status sticky this! I demand it!

jramosthe1st! 05-02-2007 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Durdan (Post 315064)
yes, but with pencil torch, you run the risk of burning the wire and causing the copper to become brittle, not too mention melting the insulation back further

true, it's not something that should be done by rookies. all i'm saying is i use a pencil torch because i know what i'm doing.

but lets not get off on the wrong foot here great job on the write up.

Bumnah 05-03-2007 07:17 AM

where's the heat shrink?! amateur night over here!

my friend taught me to solder when I did my car alarm. i was forced to pinch the soldered joint with my thumb and index finger "it dissipated heated better." BS. he made me do it to torture me. I did so many solders like that, I always pinch the solder when I'm done now. I can't help myself.

Now I know what a lab monkey feels like. :(

Durdan 05-04-2007 03:42 PM

i shall call you pavlov

and i can only assume that someone would know how to use heat shrink

Biggamehit 05-07-2007 08:19 AM

coolness bro.... soldering is a great skill.... i learned about 13 years ago.. its awesome....

now when you mod your first x box on playstation.. its nerve racking lol

Initial Daniel 05-07-2007 01:19 PM

I myself use a soldering gun, a bit easier for me, and I don't have to keep it on all the time.

Just to add to what Airman Jackson's write-up; you want to be sure that the solder isn't shiny when it's on the wire. That's called "cold solder"--that means it didn't go all the way through the wire and is merely on the outside. You want to be sure that it is inside and outside the wire, binding it to prevent carbon build-up between the wiring.

dkdeleon 05-07-2007 04:31 PM

good write up.

Durdan 05-08-2007 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Initial Daniel (Post 315633)
Just to add to what Airman Jackson's write-up; you want to be sure that the solder isn't shiny when it's on the wire. That's called "cold solder"--that means it didn't go all the way through the wire and is merely on the outside. You want to be sure that it is inside and outside the wire, binding it to prevent carbon build-up between the wiring.

Originally Posted by Durdan
you will see the solder soak into the wire. this is how you know that you have heated the wire to the proper temperature. add solder to the wire and watch it melt into the nooks and crannies until the joint is covered uniformly. let cool before disturbing the joint (they can pull apart while hot). i even like to soak some solder into the ends of the wire going into the insulation for extra joint strength.

NEVER APPLY A "COLD JOINT"!! this is when you melt solder ONTO the wire without the wires being heated up. always heat from under, with the wire in constant contact with the solder bubble on the iron. the bubble is essential for heat transfer as it allows more surface area for heat to flow.

it was mentioned.

Initial Daniel 05-08-2007 09:07 AM

Oh, awesome. I guess I can't read. Sorrrry!

Good stuff either way.