How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

OG Raine's Garage Guides: Changing Tension Rods (S13/S14)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

OG Raine's Garage Guides: Changing Tension Rods (S13/S14)

Wrote these awhile back, but a few buddies started getting into 240sx' and brought me here again... so I thought I'd re-post my guides for the newer people who wasn't around yet when I was a regular LOL

Changing Tension Rods (S13/S14)

Intro: If you were to ask a long-time owner of 240sx's which part is the weakest and most notorious part of the front suspension to fail, they would all say the same thing - the tension rod. It's not that the tension rod itself is a bad design - but the problem actually lies in the tension rod bushing, which is press fitted into the rod itself.

The OEM tension rod bushing is a hollow rubber housing filled with a gel-like substance. Over time and exposure to the elements, the bushing dries or cracks, allowing the "goo" to leak out. In turn, the tension rod exhibits a lot of free play and movement - not something you want in a critical piece that properly positions the front wheel and caster settings.

For this guide, we will be replacing OEM tension rods with another OEM tension rod - the difference being that the new rod has a set of Whiteline hard solid polyurethane bushings pressed in place of the factory gel unit.

This procedure takes about 15 minutes each side after the car is raised on jack stands. Take your time, you don't want to rush anything.

Click here to see web version, download in .pdf (with images) or in .doc (text only).

-------

BTW Kept my html site up for all you peeps, http://garage.projectraine.com CLICK BELOW to see all of my write-ups =)