S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   How Tos / Installations (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/how-tos-installations-48/)
-   -   Rear Sway Bar Install Pics...for the Noobs!!! (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/how-tos-installations-48/rear-sway-bar-install-pics-noobs-38514/)

positron 03-31-2007 01:20 PM

Rear Sway Bar Install Pics...for the Noobs!!!

22 Attachment(s)
I took my stock swaybar off a couple of weeks ago when I installed some subframe spacers. The bushings were shot and one of the endlinks was bent so I got a new set of Energy Suspension D-bracket bushings and they came with some new swaybar endlink bushings. I was initially just going to upgrade to a bigger set of swaybars but since my front swaybar was incomplete(missing an endlink) and the rear had bad bushings and endlinks, I decided to just buy some new bushings and try the stock bars out at a couple of autocrosses and see how I like them at their full potential before deciding if I needed something better at my current skill level.

Tools needed-
Jackstands
Jack
Socket wrench
15mm socket
14mm wrench
Socket extension
Torque wrench
Attachment 23879
Here's the Energy Suspension bushing set, the new endlink with bushings and the old endlink.
Attachment 23880
Note the bent endlink
Attachment 23881
First thing you need to do is lube the swaybar and the D-bracket bushings up with the provided grease and slide them onto the swaybar.
Attachment 23882
Here's the new swaybar D-bracket bushing with the old bracket bushing. It was pretty soft compared to the new one.
Attachment 23883
Here's my stock swaybar(15mm yeah it's tiny). When I took it off it was all gunked up with grime so I cleaned it and gave it a fresh coat of black along with my D-brackets. They weren't bent so I re-used them.

First thing you do is of course jack up the car and place your jackstands under it.
Attachment 23884
Take the swaybar and slide it under the back of the car over the exhaust and just under the rear of the differential.
Attachment 23885
From there you take the swaybar and slide it forward to where the mounting points are.
Attachment 23886
Next, take the D-bracket and place it on the bushing...don't bolt them in yet but go ahead and slide them left or right to line them up with the mounting points.
Attachment 23887
Now you put the endlinks together in this order...washer-bushing-swaybar-bushing-washer-separator-washer-bushing-lower control arm-bushing-washer-top nut. It's like making a samich!
Attachment 23888
Attachment 23889
Attachment 23890
Attachment 23891
Attachment 23892
Attachment 23893
Attachment 23894
Attachment 23895
Next you tighten the link up with the 15mm socket for the top nut and use the 14mm wrench to keep it from spinning on the bottom.
Attachment 23895
Torque the links to 78-104ft. lbs.
Attachment 23897
Finished. Repeat on the other side.
Attachment 23898
Now you can tighten the D-bracket bolts down and torque them to 32-41ft. lbs.
Attachment 23899
Torque wrench
Attachment 23900
Done!

Biggamehit 04-16-2007 09:42 PM

once again great pics and write up , thanks you

ZeroOath 04-19-2007 11:34 AM

nice job man