S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   How Tos / Installations (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/how-tos-installations-48/)
-   -   S13 Power Antenna Install (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/how-tos-installations-48/s13-power-antenna-install-39674/)

positron 06-09-2007 05:15 PM

S13 Power Antenna Install

30 Attachment(s)
I replaced my broken power antenna with another one today, here's the install.

Tools needed:
Socket wrench
10mm socket
Needle nose pliers

If your antenna is just broken then you could just swap out the mast itself which can be found cheaply at a many a place. This install is for replacing the entire power antenna motor. This motor still works but the antenna is broken. I've had another motor that I accquired some time ago just laying around so I decided to swap the whole unit instead of just the mast.
Attachment 22474
Power antenna motor with wires.
Attachment 22475
As you can see, the antenna is broken.
Attachment 22476
Attachment 22477
First you need to remove the stuff out of your trunk to give yourself some room to work with.
Attachment 22478
Remove the rear trunk cover...
Attachment 22479
which will allow you to remove the side trunk cover.
Attachment 22480
This allows you access to the antenna motor.
Attachment 22481
Before you can get to the motor you need to remove the bracket for the OEM car jack. Use a 10mm socket.
Attachment 22482
Pull the bracket out.
Attachment 22483
Now you need to remove the top of the antenna off the outside of the car or you won't be able to get the motor out. Star by removing the rubber gasket. See those two little dimples on the silver ring of the mast, if your mast will not unscrew with your fingers then....
Attachment 22484
you can insert a set of needle nose pliers into those dimples and turn counter clockwise to bust it loose. Now that it's loose you can unscrew it with your fingers....
Attachment 22485
and remove the top from the car.
Attachment 22486
Next, you use the 10mm socket to remove the bolts holding the antenna motor to the chassis.
Attachment 22487
Pull the antenna out.
Attachment 22488
Unplug the antenna wire at the top. It's attached to a wire harness just on the inside of the chassis.
Attachment 22489
Unplug the two harnesses at the bottom.
Attachment 22490
Unplug the drain plug at the bottom also.
Attachment 22491
Now take the new antenna and plug the top wire into the harness.
Attachment 22492
Plug the two bottom harnesses in.
Attachment 22493
And attach the drain plug to the bottom.
Attachment 22494
Now you need to remove the top of the antenna so you can insert it to the outside of the chassis.
Attachment 22495
It unscrews...
Attachment 22496
then you can remove the rubber grommet and the tip.
Attachment 22497
Manuever the antenna into the back of the car and insert the tip throught the chassis.
Attachment 22498
Move the antenna into position on the mounting points...
Attachment 22499
and insert the bolts to hold it in place.
Attachment 22500
Put the top of the antenna back together. Put the rubber grommet back on and screw the silver ring on to hold things tight. Make sure when you insert it into the top of the antenna on the outside that you insert that long plastic tab in the right spot on the antenna...
Attachment 22501
when you look inside the tip you will see where it goes.
Attachment 22502
Now you can bolt it in. When you start bolting it in pull down on the antenna to make sure that the rubber gasket is tight against the outside chassis to prevent moisture from getting in.
Attachment 22503
Done! Wish I had a radio and speakers so I could enjoy this thing....someday perhaps!:guitarist:

sr91240 06-09-2007 05:21 PM

lol ftmfw a power antenna and no head unit or speakers baller status lol looks good though another good writeup good job

positron 06-09-2007 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Round here we calls that peanut butter jelly no bread! Attachment 22473

BigVinnie 06-10-2007 10:08 AM

Nice write up!!!!!

positron 06-13-2007 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 22381
Well, my antenna works. After I installed a new fuel pump yesterday and turned on the car, the antenna went up by itself. I have no idea what happened, I don't have a head unit or speakers....anyone?

BigVinnie 06-13-2007 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by positron (Post 320914)
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...2/IMG_0937.jpg
Well, my antenna works. After I installed a new fuel pump yesterday and turned on the car, the antenna went up by itself. I have no idea what happened, I don't have a head unit or speakers....anyone?

I believe if you run it through the stereo harness it will do that when there isn't grounding from a stereo unit. I would just disconnect the antenna until you put in a stereo unit and speakers.