S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   How Tos / Installations (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/how-tos-installations-48/)
-   -   S13 Power Folding Mirror Install (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/how-tos-installations-48/s13-power-folding-mirror-install-39469/)

positron 05-28-2007 01:43 PM

S13 Power Folding Mirror Install

45 Attachment(s)
After three attempts, I finally installed my power folding mirrors today. Here's the process for those who don't know.

Tools needed:
Phillips head screwdriver
Soldering kit
Electrical tape
Metal coat hanger
Wire cutters
Extra wire
Socket wrench

Attachment 22808
Power folding mirrors with switch. The reason that I failed on the first two attempts to install these mirrors was because my harness was incomplete, so make sure that you have a complete harness or your attempt to install these mirrors will be futileAttachment 22809
Attachment 22810
The full JDM harness will have 10 wires total. My incomplete harness only had 7...whoops! Attachment 22811
Attachment 22812
The full 10 wires compose of the following colors-yellow/blue, yellow/black, purple/white, black(for the ground), blue/black, blue/red, blue/white, blue(power folding), green/white, green(power folding). The plain blue and the plain green wires are the two extra wires that control the fold out fold in actions on the JDM mirrors. These are the two wires that you will need to splice and run to the center console. The other wires are exactly like your stock power mirrors if you have them and you will only need to connect the corresponding colors together and solder.
Attachment 22813
The first thing you need to do is disconnect your battery and then gain access to the power mirror harness by removing the trim plate and center console.
Grab the sides of the trim plate and carefully pull to remove it from the dash.
Attachment 22814

Attachment 22815

Attachment 22816
Use a phillips head screwdriver to remove the shifter trim plate from your shift boot.
Attachment 22817
Now you'll need to remove the screws on the center console. There's two at the top of the console...
Attachment 22818
and four on the sides of the front and back of the console.
Attachment 22819
Now you can pull the console away from the dash.
Attachment 22820
Before you do, remember to remove the cigarette lighter harness and the ashtray light harness from the underside of the console.
Attachment 22821
Sit the console on the passenger floorboard and out of the way.
Attachment 22822
The mirror harness.
Now you'll need to remove the door panel. If you don't know how, use this thread-S13 Door Panel Removal http://www.club240.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38899

After removing the door panels you'll need to swap out your USDM mirrors with the JDM mirrors.
Attachment 22823
Start by removing the black bases. They pull off with ease.
Attachment 22824
Using a phillips head screwdriver or a socket wrench, remove the three bolts holding the mirrors in and put the JDM mirrors in their place.
Attachment 22825
Now you need to take your stock mirror harness and your JDM harness and match up the corresponding wires.
Attachment 22826
Sloppily connect the wires on your USDM harness to the wires on your JDM harness. At this point it just needs a connection, we want to make sure everything works before we start running any wires or soldering.
Attachment 22827
The JDM mirrors will have a white harness for the power function on the mirrors and a blue harness for the power folding function.
Attachment 22828
The blue harness will have a blue and a green wire, this is where you need to run two extra wires in order for the folding function to work.
Attachment 22829
Go ahead and run the wires to the mirror harness...
Attachment 22830
and the switch harness.
Now that you have everything wired, you need to connect your battery and test the mirror to see if it works properly.
Attachment 22831
If everything goes well...voila! You now have power folding mirrors! Fold in!
Attachment 22832
Fold out!
If your mirrors didn't function at all you might want to check the fuse.
Attachment 22833
Mine didn't do anything the first time and it turns out that I didn't have a fuse for them.
Attachment 22834
Now that everything is functioning you can go ahead and run your extra wires thru the door and the dash.
Attachment 22835
Remove the kick panel.
Attachment 22836
And the lower column cover.
Attachment 22837
The coat hanger, man's best friend for running wires.
Attachment 22838
First, you need to run the coat hanger thru the rubber grommet on the door.
Attachment 22839
Out.
Attachment 22840
Tie the wires.
Attachment 22841
Pull them thru.
Attachment 22842
Now run the hanger thru the rubber grommet for the inside.
Attachment 22843
Tie the wires.
Attachment 22844
Pull the wires thru.
Attachment 22845
Before you go any further tie the wires at the door to something so that they don't get pulled through the door while you're tugging away on the other side.
Attachment 22846
Almost done. Run the hanger through the center console and out the bottom of the dash near the gas pedal.
Attachment 22847
Finally, tie the wires and pull them through the center console. Now that you have the extra wires ran, you need to tie everything together again and test one last time to make sure that the mirrors still function.
Attachment 22848
If they do you can start cutting, soldering and shrink wrapping where it is required. If you don't know how to solder, read this very informative thread(props to Durdan) How To Solder Like A Man! http://www.club240.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39061
Attachment 22849
Repeat the procedure for the passenger side, secure the wires that you ran under the dash and the console.
Attachment 22850
Put everything back together and you're done.
Attachment 22851
You now have power folding mirrors.Attachment 22852

ryguy 05-28-2007 01:53 PM

Nice write up man. I see you are a complete JDM whore lol. Do you have all the correct sensors for that climate control too? And I take it thats the JDM cupholder? Does it actually hold drinks with that angle? I like how it all looks. Again, nice write up man. Makes me want folding mirrors.

Biggamehit 05-28-2007 01:54 PM

Good work bro.. good wiring job.. i see you are anal about wiring just like me..

good work

positron 05-28-2007 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by ryguy (Post 318592)
Nice write up man. I see you are a complete JDM whore lol. Do you have all the correct sensors for that climate control too? And I take it thats the JDM cupholder? Does it actually hold drinks with that angle? I like how it all looks. Again, nice write up man. Makes me want folding mirrors.

Ry guy, I hate I got that friggin' cupholder. On a good day it might hold a RedBull. It cringes in fear at the 44 oz. Big Gulps us "fat Americans" like to consume.:drink3: I have all the sensors for the digi-unit but I don't have A/C so the auto function is useless at this time. Airman Jackson, I know nothing of wiring, I'm praying my car doesn't burst into flames while I'm sleeping tonight.:FIREdevil: Thanks for the input guys!:bigok:

Biggamehit 05-28-2007 03:47 PM

you could have fooled me.. u did a good job of routing the wire properly

positron 05-28-2007 04:15 PM

Thanks. I tried to do it as properly as I could.

MS!3 05-28-2007 04:46 PM

nice write up. you need to make a ride thread mang.

positron 06-03-2007 12:09 PM

Update!!!

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 22652
When running the wires on the passenger side...
Attachment 22653
make sure you close up the rubber grommets and replace the foam sealing the opening to prevent any chances of water getting in and onto your ECU which is directly below this opening.
Attachment 22654
Attachment 22655
Attachment 22656

Nicks240sxt 06-11-2007 03:45 PM

did you have any issues with the positioning of the mirrors? just wondering about switching from a rhd to a lhd while using the jdm folding mirrors. i have them for my S14 but havent hooked them up yet.

positron 06-12-2007 06:58 AM

No, I haven't had any problems. The only thing is that the viewpoints are slightly different. Everything on the JDM mirrors looks smaller and closer than on the USDM mirrors but you can swap out the glass itself from the housing and solve this problem. I would have done it but I've gotten use to it as it is.

PXRacing 06-12-2007 09:02 PM

great writeup. i just picked up a set for my s14. this will be very helpful for the install.

PXRacing 06-27-2007 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Nicks240sxt (Post 320681)
did you have any issues with the positioning of the mirrors? just wondering about switching from a rhd to a lhd while using the jdm folding mirrors. i have them for my S14 but havent hooked them up yet.

I just finished installing these on my S14 and there are some differences in the positioning of the mirrors. The adjustments of the mirror are meant for someone sitting on the right side. Some things that I've notice is the drivers mirror can't go to the left as far as you would like. The passenger mirror can't look at the ground.