S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   How Tos / Installations (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/how-tos-installations-48/)
-   -   S13 Rear Brake Rotor Install (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/how-tos-installations-48/s13-rear-brake-rotor-install-40907/)

positron 08-24-2007 12:21 PM

S13 Rear Brake Rotor Install

20 Attachment(s)
I installed some rear rotors yesterday, here's the pics.

Tools needed:
Jack
Jackstands
Socket wrench
17mm socket
14mm socket
Wire brush
Anti-sieze
Brake cleaner
Torque wrench

Attachment 20917
I got these rear and a front set of Brembro's some time ago and just never got around to putting the rears on. Drilled and slotted is overkill for what I do with the car but I didn't know it at the time. Could have saved some money with a plain set of regular rotors with no drilling or slotting.
Attachment 20918
They should feel and look alot better than my stock 13+ year old factory rear rotors.
Attachment 20919
First, you put the car on jackstands and remove the wheels.
Attachment 20920
In order to get the rotors on and off you'll need to remove the brake caliper. You start by removing the torque member bolt with a 17mm socket. There are two bolts on the torque member, top and bottom. This is the top bolt.
Attachment 20921
This is the bottom torque member bolt.
Attachment 20922
Torque member bolt-top.
Attachment 20923
If you can't wriggle the caliper off then you may need to slightly loosen the pin bolts. There are two pin bolts. This is the top pin bolt.
Attachment 20924
This is the bottom pin bolt.
Attachment 20925
Here's the caliper.
Attachment 20926
Here's the torque member that it bolts to.
Attachment 20927
You don't want the caliper hanging by the brake line, which could damage the line, so you use something to hold the caliper with while keeping stress off the brake line. I didn't have any metal coat hangers so I used a small bungee cord. Put one end on the top of your springs and hang the other on the caliper.
Attachment 20928
Rotor
Attachment 20929
The rear rotor is slip-fit so it just comes off when you pull it.
Attachment 20930
Exposed hub. I'm broke a stud off a couple of months ago. I would have replaced it but I'm shooting for a five-lug conversion real soon.
Attachment 20931
If you look at the back of the old rotor you'll see some rust.
Attachment 20932
Old and busted. New flyness!
Attachment 20933
Take a wire brush and scrape the rust off around the hub and the dust shield.
Attachment 20934
Then, hit it with some brake cleaner!
Attachment 20935
After it dries, brake cleaner dries in seconds, apply a coating of anti-seize to the hub to prevent the new rotor from rusting to the hub in the future.
Attachment 20936
Slide the new rotor on and your're there! Hit the rotor with some brake cleaner. If you're doing this then you're probably putting new pads on too so you just re-install the caliper to the torque member and torque the bolts to 28-38ft. lbs. From there you can change your pads out if necessary.

battosaii930 08-24-2007 12:50 PM

thats the wrong side rotor :SHOCKED: anyway good write up even though i never clean off the rust or put anti cease on anything lmao. well like i always say if its rusted hit it with a hammer

txsileighty 08-24-2007 01:03 PM

Nice write up!
Might want to replace that lug bolt??? LoL

positron 08-24-2007 01:48 PM

This threads old and I posted it in the wrong section so I just moved it today. That stud was eventually replaced though.

txsileighty 08-24-2007 02:06 PM

How did the brakes turn out anyways? Stop a whole lot better?