S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   How Tos / Installations (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/how-tos-installations-48/)
-   -   S13 Tension Control Rod Install (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/how-tos-installations-48/s13-tension-control-rod-install-39561/)

positron 06-02-2007 11:02 AM

S13 Tension Control Rod Install

28 Attachment(s)
I had these pics laying around since I first began my suspension upgrades a couple of months ago so I compiled some of them into this tension control rod install. This was my very first suspension upgrade and at the time I didn't really have a lot of know-how or confidence in my abilities to install these parts but I did my research, made sure I had the right parts/tools and just dove into the project head first. At this point the only suspension upgrades to my car was a strut/spring combo which was put on by a friend of mine who worked at a car dealership. Thinking back, I really wish I had done that myself but enough about that and on to the install.

Tools needed:
Jack
Jackstands
Socket wrench
17mm socket
17mm wrench
Small hammer
Torque wrench

The following are just some random pics showing the terrible condition that my front suspension and undercarraige was in before I started.
Attachment 22678
Painting brake calipers while they are still on the car...big mistake. Check out the grime build-up and the swaybar endlink that was not connected.
Attachment 22679
More grime.
Attachment 22680
Yet more grime! Notice the bent tension rod bracket and the cracked tension control rod bushing leaking the dreaded goo from around the bolt. Time to put an end to that!
Attachment 22681
Nismo tension control rods, I wanted to go spherical bearing but I couldn't pass up this deal from RHDJapan for $85(They retail for $250). They were used but I didn't care I just wanted a Nismo suspension part and they were in excellent condition. First, you jack the car up, remove the tires and place your jackstands in the appropriate places.
Attachment 22682
Stock tension control rod, 13+ year old part and bushing.
Attachment 22683
You need a 17mm socket and a 17mm wrench to remove the tension control rod bolt from the brackets. Turn the socket with one hand while you hold the wrench with the other to keep the bolt from spinning.
Attachment 22684
Use a small hammer to tap the bolt out from the tension rod bracket.
Attachment 22685

Attachment 22686
Now you need to remove the two bolts holding the T/C rod to the lower control arm.
Attachment 22687
Use a 17mm socket to remove both bolts from below the lower control arm.
Attachment 22688
Use a prybar to pop the T/C rod loose if you can't pull it away.
Attachment 22689
Done, halfway there!
Attachment 22690
This is what it looked like when I first removed it. Phantom menace...dreaded goo!
Attachment 22691
The OEM T/C rod and the Nismo T/C rod, they look quite similiar.
Attachment 22692
I cleaned up the frontend and put a Nismo power brace on also.
Attachment 22693
Take the new T/C rod and position it on the lower control arm...
Attachment 22694
and the T/C bracket.
Attachment 22695

Attachment 22696
The head of my T/C rod didn't want to line up...
Attachment 22697
so I used a screwdriver as an alignment tool.
Attachment 22698
Now you can run the bolt through.
Attachment 22699
Use the 17mm socket and the 17mm wrench to put the bolt back on.
Attachment 22700
PAY ATTENTION TO THIS! DO NOT TIGHTEN OR TORQUE THE BOLTS UNTIL YOU PUT THE TIRES BACK ON AND LOWER THE CAR TO THE GROUND OR YOU WILL BUST THE HELL OUT OF ANY RUBBER OR POLY BUSHINGS THAT YOU HAVE!!!! At the time I hadn't done all my research and I made that mistake. I can get a new set from Nismo for fairly cheap but it's still a waste that I did that. You live you learn!
Attachment 22701
Next, put the bolts back on the ends of the T/C rods that connect to the lower control arm and torque to 69-83ft. lbs.
Attachment 22702
Finished.
Attachment 22703
Put the wheels back on, lower the car and NOW you can tighten the head of the T/C rod and torque to 80-94ft. lbs.
Attachment 22704
Torque wrench.
Attachment 22705
You probably could have tightened the rods before if you had T/C rods with spherical bearings.

Biggamehit 06-02-2007 08:30 PM

once again good right up brother keep em coming.. i should have about two more coming soon since i got my new motor.

award78 12-15-2007 09:58 AM

Awesome write-up. This helped me alot this weekend. Thanks.

ProjectPanda13 01-01-2008 04:29 PM

So only tighten the bolts when the car is on the ground? My car is pretty low and with the tire on that would be prett hard? Any other way? Thanks.

positron 01-02-2008 05:00 AM

Other than getting some small ramps there's no other way that I can think of short of just taking a chance and trying not to bust the bushings while the car is still up. Anyone chime in on this.

Bumnah 01-02-2008 05:55 AM

put rims/tires on the car. put stock scissor jack under the tire/wheel you're working on. jack up the jack. that will load up the suspension so you can torque down the bolt as needed.

shrimpscampi 04-20-2008 02:20 PM

Thanks for the write up

Nitronic 07-31-2008 07:47 PM

I don't mean to bump an old thread but thank you for the tip on letting the car down before tightening to help the rubber. I did not know that before thank you.