S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   How Tos / Installations (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/how-tos-installations-48/)
-   -   S13 Walbro Fuel Pump Install (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/how-tos-installations-48/s13-walbro-fuel-pump-install-39720/)

positron 06-12-2007 01:20 PM

S13 Walbro Fuel Pump Install

42 Attachment(s)
I got my new fuel pump yesterday and installed it this morning, here's the step by step.

Tools needed:
Socket wrench
10mm socket
8mm socket
Phillipshead screwdriver
Flathead screwdriver
Wire cutters
Rags(lots of rags)
Needle nose pliers

Attachment 22420
Walbro Hi-Flo fuel pump. My stock fuel pump was on it's way out. I could no longer hear it prime up whenever I turned the ignition. I'm gonna be doing a SR swap very soon so rather than buying a new stock fuel pump and then spending more money to upgrade to a Hi-flow just months later, I figured that was just a waste. I got on the forums and read that you could use a Walbro on a stock car so I decided to get one now.
Attachment 22421
Start by going to your engine bay and removing the fuel pump 15A fuse in the fuse block near the battery. This will relieve the fuel pressure. Now crank the car and run it until it dies out. Remove the negative battery cable and reinstall the fuel pump fuse.
Attachment 22422
Next clear everything from you trunk to free up some work space.
Attachment 22423
Pull back the trunk carpeting to reveal the fuel pump cover.
Attachment 22424
Use the 10mm socket to remove the screws from the fuel pump cover.
Attachment 22425
Next, take a Sharpie and matchmark the fuel pump to the locking ring.You better commit the position of the pump to memory because the leaking gas will clear out all your markings.
Attachment 22426
Remove the inlet and outlet hoses from the pump with a pair of needle nose pliers and a phillipshead screwdriver. This part scared the crap out of me. You better grab some rags because when you take off the hoses some fuel will pour and pour and start running down the sides of the fuel tank and below your car.
Attachment 22427
With your locking ring and pump matchmarked, use a 8mm socket to remove the screws holding the fuel pump.
Attachment 22428
Now you can pull the fuel pump assembly out of the tank, have some rags handy to soak up the excess fuel.
Attachment 22429
Have something ready to lay the fuel pump assembly on. This is where those old work shirts come in handy.
Attachment 22430
Use something clean to cover up the exposed fuel tank while you work on the pump.
Attachment 22431
There is a bit of wiring involved in the installation of this pump. These are the two wires that you will be working with.
Attachment 22432
Use a phillipshead screwdriver to remove the screws holding the wire to the unit.
Attachment 22433
Now remove the clamps holding the rubber hose to the old fuel pump, top...
Attachment 22434
and bottom.
Attachment 22435
This is the stock fuel pump isolator. With this kit you won't need this.
Attachment 22436
The new pump vs. the old pump. The Walbro is much smaller.
Attachment 22437
Take the new fuel pump and place the new filter on the bottom.
Attachment 22438
Place the fuel filter retainer on the tab after the fuel filter. I used a flathead screwdriver to push it down all the way.
Attachment 22439
Here's the Walbro isolator.
Attachment 22440
Mount the new isolator on the bottom of the pump.
Attachment 22441
This is how it will be positioned. It falls in flush.
Attachment 22442
Next you need to measure how much of the hose needs to be cut to fit the Walbro.
Attachment 22443
Cut the hose, mount it to the pump and position the pump on the assembly.
Attachment 22444
Done with that part.
Attachment 22445
Now comes the rewiring of the fuel pump. Here is the new harness and the butt connectors...."hehe..hehehe....you said butt!"
Attachment 22446
You'll have to mate the black/red wires on the new harness with the black/red wires on the pump assembly.
Attachment 22447
You'll need wire cutters...old school type!
Attachment 22448
New type!!!
Attachment 22449
Strip 1/4" from the tips of the wires.
Attachment 22450
Insert both ends of the wires into the butt connectors. MAKE SURE that you match the wires or you will reverse the polarity of the pump and it won't work!
Attachment 22451
Crimp the butt connectors...
Attachment 22452
16/14....
Attachment 22453
Insert the harness and you're done with the wiring.
Attachment 22454
Now you are ready to put the pump back into the tank. You can light up a cig now if you want...tehe!!!
Attachment 22455
Attachment 22456
Put it back in the position that it was in when you took it out.
Attachment 22457
Put your mounting screws back in a star formation, put the inlet and outlet fuel hoses back then secure them.
Attachment 22458
There was some white buildup on the fuel pump harness so I used some electric cleaner to clean it up.
Attachment 22459
After it dries, connect the fuel pump harness.
Attachment 22460
Then put the fuel pump cover back and secure it. Put the negative battery cable back on and fire up the car because you are done! When I turned the key to ign, I could hear the new pump priming.
Attachment 22461
Now I can drive across town to the Baskin Robbins and not worry about my car dying in the middle of traffic...sweet!

battosaii930 06-12-2007 03:09 PM

nice write up let me add its similar for the s14 but the fuel pump is cliped onto a bracket in the gas tank so for s14 make sure you have a quarter tank or less of gas or you will burn up your hands and gloves dont last long lol

Biggamehit 06-12-2007 03:21 PM

damn lol when i did mine i didn't realize all the steps lol.. i just wizzed through it in a shopping mall parking lot lol..

good stuff bro as always.

jramosthe1st! 06-12-2007 06:09 PM

i did mine last week and i first loosened the screws to relive any in tank pressure then removed the hoses.

positron 06-13-2007 06:17 AM

Update!!!

A couple things I found out after the fact. After pulling the fuel pump fuse and cranking the car to stall. You should also take off the gas cap to relieve the extra pressure and keep all that fuel that I had from spilling out. Also, the white buildup on the fuel pump harness was dielectric grease to protect it from corrosion. You shouldn't remove it.

positron 06-13-2007 10:42 AM

Little problem has me concerned. The bottom hose on my fuel filter is now fat and swollen. It looks like it might bust because it's so big and tight. Anyone else having this problem? I'm thinking I need some better hose because that's freaking me out.

positron 06-13-2007 11:58 AM

I'm gonna replace the flimsy hose with some high pressure fuel hose but I have a Z32 filter that I bought in anticipation of the SR swap so should I go ahead and put that on as well?:dunno:

jramosthe1st! 06-13-2007 05:50 PM

z32 filter, lets not go there again it's a never ending story of it's own.
but to answer your question, yes.

positron 06-16-2007 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Put the Z32 fuel filter on today and replaced that flimsy lower filter hose with high pressure hose. Also put on some new clamps, now I feel much better about driving without that bulging hose.
Attachment 22237