S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   How Tos / Installations (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/how-tos-installations-48/)
-   -   Speed Sensor / Governor (sp?) BYPASS (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/how-tos-installations-48/speed-sensor-governor-sp-bypass-14717/)

DRiften 08-04-2004 12:08 AM

Speed Sensor / Governor (sp?) BYPASS

***INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO GO OVER 115 mph on 240's - SCROLL DOWN ***

is it illegal to bypass the governor (sp?) on any cars?

what i mean is that, i made some custome wireing and managed to bypass the governor that limits the speed to 115 mph on my 240sx. in other words, with a push of a button, i can go over 115 easily.:D

so here's my question.. is it illegal to bypass the governor? would the people that pass the inspection say something? because there are hella lot of wires under the car going to the speed sensor in the tranny..

red switch - governor bypass
http://www.club240.com/registry/user...1045_330_1.jpg

Chas@YDdrift 08-04-2004 01:52 AM

it should be fine. How did you do it, and does your speedo still work?

-HyJynX- 08-04-2004 09:53 AM

You should be ok, nothing illegal(I think)

DRiften 08-04-2004 10:23 AM

nope..the speed arrow just drops to the bottom on the speedometer.. but i can calculate my speed by rpms.

4600rpms = 115mph (on s13)
5800rpms ~ 145mph (thats my top speed that i achieved)

THIS SHOUD BE DONE ON YOUR OWN RISK.
TESTED AND APPROVED FOR 1991 - 1994 240sx. but it should be the same for all models of 240sx and 180sx.

ok, here is the trick. (i think i should make a profit out of this, lol)

1. locate the speed sensor on your tranny. its not like all other 4 sensors that go in your tranny. its much bigger then others, and its round.
2. follow the wires from the sensor... they go in the engine bay
3. as soon as the wire reached the engine compartment, the wires endup in plug that plugs in other plug.

now you can choose wat you want to do next:

***EASY WAY*** (not recommended though) - speed will never show, miles never go up, no speed governors.

4. Dont cut anything. just follow the wires from the speed sensor that go in a connector and unplug it. (look at diagram) and if you do, make sure the wires that are unpluged dont touch the ground.
= the speed will not show unless you connect the plug back.

***HARD WAY*** - as soon as you go over 110 mph or at any speed, you can turn off the switch, and then you speed dies, and governor. very usefull. thats the mod i got. lots of wireing. speed will show and governor will be active unless you turn the switch off.

4. there are 2 wires coming from the speed sensor. i think its green and black. but it doesnt matter.

5. Cut one of the wires (any). so now you have one wire that is uncut, and the other one is cut and has 2 connectors. you should clean the 2 connectors of the plastic surrounding and make it neater.

6.go and buy about 4 - 6 feet of double wire. (2wires that i glued together)

7. take the double wire. ( you sould have 2 wires hanging at one end of the double wire) and connect those 2 wires from the one end to the 2 connectors from the cut wire from the speed sensor. (look at diagram)

8. take the other end of the double wire and somehow manage to take it inside of the car. there should be a whole in the fire wall on the driver side.

9. put an on/off switch at the end of the doublewire that is in the inside of the car.

10. you are done. whenever you turn the switch off, there is a break in the wire, and therefore, there is no electronic circulation, and thats why your speed sensor goes offline, and you can go as fast as you want. turning the switch on, will make the sensor alive, because now there is a electronic circulation.

***VERY IMPORTANT***
on s13 (and i think on any model of 240's).. there is a 5th gear, rev limiter, that does not allow you to push the engine rpms more than 5000 in 5th gear! if you turn the switch off, and reach the 5OOO rpms line in 5th gear, (approx. ~ 128mph) you will not go anyfaster.

BUT, that will not stop us from reaching top speeds. there is a way to bypass that too. here is how:

all you have to do, is go under the car again, there should be 4 sensors other then the speed sensor. Unplug the 2, and 3 sensor that stick out from the transmission.(look at diagram) one of them is the 5th gear sensor. that sensor tells the computer that you are in the 5th gear, and therefore, the computer limits the rpms to 5000. try to unplug both, because i am not sure which one exactly is the 5th gear sensor out of those 2.

TEST IT FIRST:
after you unpluged both, try it out. start the car, pull the EBrake! put in the 5th gear (DONT release the clutch!!!) and rev it up all the way...

if the rpms go higher then 5000, then you did everything correctly.
NOW is the time to take your little 240 for a test drive on the highway. I find it better to speed in the mornings (like 10 am) thats when theres not too many cars.

TROUBLESHOOT
if the rpms stop at 5000 (you will hear it), disconnect all 4 sensors from the tranny. because the 5th gear sensor might be alocated (moved to a different spot).. but if you disconnect all 4.. that should do the work. MAKE SURE YOU DONT disconnent the speed sensor from the tranny. (you check engine light will not go on. at least not on S13's)

http://www.lashastudio.com/speedsensor.gif
Good luck speeding.
for any questions, post a reply.. or email me at kingserii@yahoo.com

PS. I FORGOT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING THAT YOU WILL NEED:
A PAIR OF ELEPHANT SIZE ****ING BALLS ESEPCIALLY ON BARE BONE STOCK
S14!!

thank you
DRiften.

-HyJynX- 08-04-2004 11:00 AM

Awesome, stickied!

DRiften 08-04-2004 11:42 AM

this mod is very usefull if you have a more powerfull engine. like sr20 or rb20 or something not stock.

my friend has a built KA and its strong as hell but it only went to 115. so thats why i put my mind to it, and made the mod. now his car flys. omg..lol

i tried the mod on my car.. and it worked fine. as i said before.. this should be the same to all 240's. EXCEPT automatic trasmission.

blacks13 08-04-2004 04:30 PM

Very nice mod and write-up! I will soon do this to my 240!

xv13txboyx 08-05-2004 11:40 AM

omg that is so tyte! i'll be sure to try this :)

DRiften 08-05-2004 01:33 PM

ok.. dont forget about the 5th gear rev limiter

crimsontide240 08-09-2004 04:14 PM

145 @ 5800rpms. Holy ****! How did you calculate your speed by basing it off of rpms? I've been in M3's that top out at 144, and the KA is capable of 145+? Wow, if this is correct, I'll be sure and do this to my 240.

DRiften 08-09-2004 04:58 PM

well i made some calculations and came up with a formula.. here it is.

***SPEED CALCULATION***

in 5th gear... every 100 rpms is 2.5 miles per hour.

Åxample:
4000 rpms should be something like 100 miles per hour.
(4000rpms/100 * 2.5mph = 100mph)

Example 2:
5800 rpms is about 145 miles per hour
(5800rpms/100 *2.5mph = 145mph )

If you have enough power to take it to 7500 rpms in 5th gear (thats where the rev limiter is for SR20DET).. guess how fast are you gonna be going... 187 MILES PER HOUR !!

someday it will be attempted by me. lol hehe.

PS. do not attempt this with stock suspesion for your own good.

crimsontide240 08-10-2004 04:18 PM

I just got back from the test-run. And I must say....WOW!!!! That was an absolute blast!:shock: I got the KA all the way up to 5800 rpms before I shut it down. So I'm guessing by driften's calculations, I hit 145 mph. Great write up man!! Instructions were very easy to follow!:thumb:

If anyone has about a half an hour to spare I would strongly suggest trying this...that is if you enjoy going that fast!:naughty:

Oh BTW, the rev sensor is the closest one to the speed sensor.

DRiften 08-10-2004 07:42 PM

=)
so rev sensor is the one next to the speed sensor. ok. i knew that but forgot, and didnt want to get under the car again and look which sensor is unhooked. but, hey, thanx for trying my mod.

Dounveeme 08-19-2004 04:27 PM

i have an 89 coupe with an auto and a slightly modified rebuilt engine and ive had mine up to 124mph with ease. im sure it would keep pullin but i dont like going that fast on the skinny stock sized tires and stock suspension.
never have hit a speed goveror anybody know why?

ryan15 08-20-2004 02:34 AM

hey guys I unplugged the 4th and 5th gear sensors, and well the 4th gear isnt really weorth it but the 5th is my friend with a ka24de raced me today he has i/e I have i/h/e and he barely pulled on me barely from 85 to 115 he only got his door to my front bumper (for all you SOHC HATERS!) But yea I shifted into 5th and then kept going to 120 and then threw ont he flashers and it let off.
I also heard ypou casn buy a AUTO ecu.
Ryan