How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Speed Sensor / Governor (sp?) BYPASS

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by Joel SX
Yes I know, but now there's a new problem, I used to cut the total knolege of the speed to the car and some how this worked. Nut now that I can see the speed, it will only go up to 125, thats when it meets the 5K rpm and it won't go any further. I know this because I was racing my friends acura rsx and I beat it, but not for much cus he only got to 118 and I got to 125 on the highway. Now here's the dilema. If i cut the rpm's from the engine to the computer, it might go crazy and shut off or worst. and if i cut the sensor from the transmission, it might go into safe mode, putting it in 2nd gear and probably making it explode in a million pieces. So I'm stuck, I don't Know what to do, and another thing. I'm not buying one of those litle computer that fools the ECU so that it goes faster becus I think the price is too ridiculous for something that cost like 6 or 10 dollars to make. So any sugestions?

is it auto or manual?

if manual... and you unplug the 5th gear sensor form the tranny... theres no safe mode lol it cant go in 2nd and explode lol

if its auto, you should have a speed limiter at all. but i am not really familiar with automatic trasmissions... so cant really give you any tips. but i think people wrote something about autos in this thread... couple of pages back.

aiit.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:28 PM

i found a way to get rid of all your problems in one step. i did it to my 89' ka24de and i went to 6000 rpms. any takers?
Old 02-20-2005, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

you could just post it and save me the time....

but to late
Old 02-20-2005, 01:38 PM

alright then, but if you want to thank me for being so nice, you could send me a couple bucks, just email me or something,

so here are the instructions,
- locate your ECU(its on the sidewall between the passenger door and the firewall, behind some plastic)
-look at all the wires
-its the 8th one down all the way to the left(it should be green and yellow) there should be another green and yellow wire there, so make sure you get only the 8th one
-once it is located cut it.
thats it!
Old 02-20-2005, 01:52 PM

hmmmm.. so if you cut it... no more governor? hmm awesome, i guess thats better than my way, but does it work?

Last edited by DRiften; 02-20-2005 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:17 PM

yes it works. i was about to race a few civics from school one time, then i remembered that i was supposed to cut that damn wire, so i told them that i had to fill up on gas, so i want and cut that wire, it took less than 2 minutes, then we went and raced on the highway. i took on all three civics. i was in fifth gear at 6000 rpms, and i still dont know how fast that is,lol. but i took them by surprise, one of the dudes said he tped out at 135mph and he could not even keep up withe me. yeah man it works.
by the way, do you know how fast i was going?
ps wheres my 5$!
Old 02-20-2005, 02:26 PM

oh yeah, i forgot to mention that cutting this wire will not mess up any of your gauges or any thing, its simple just cut wire and be happy. no worries!
Old 02-20-2005, 05:04 PM

Well this works, but my automatic from 93, is a coupe and it went up to 125 still, and then it got to 5K RPMs and it wouldn't go any more, like somebody was holding the tachometer there. I did beat a Acura RSX, but it got me pissed oof, How can I fix this?
Old 02-21-2005, 12:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Z-bra
oh yeah, i forgot to mention that cutting this wire will not mess up any of your gauges or any thing, its simple just cut wire and be happy. no worries!
you could simply add an on/off switch to the 8th wire for 3.99 and u can have ur gauges and all other functions
. although that mod is good, i have talked to very experienced old guys who did what Z did and they said that it only messes up ur motor becuase that wire is one of the most important sensors. Something to do with cam timing and all that good stuff, ill get the write up from them i actualy ran mine from the bottom of the car through my shifter, cop thoght it was a nos toggle switch lol. I told him na no nos for me, but a turbo setup is coming, he laughed

Last edited by Biggamehit; 02-21-2005 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:09 AM
Contributing Member

Well this works, but my automatic from 93, is a coupe and it went up to 125 still, and then it got to 5K RPMs and it wouldn't go any more, like somebody was holding the tachometer there. I did beat a Acura RSX, but it got me pissed oof, How can I fix this?

make sure u have the right sensor on the tranny unpluged, for my car it was the one befor the last sensor closest to the back of the tranny
Old 02-21-2005, 01:36 AM

i cut one of the wires. yellow green stripe or green yellow stripe. all the way on the left side of the plug. all it did was cut me out at 85mph... well prolly 80mph cuz i just found out my speedo reads 4-5mph higher than acual.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:16 AM

well, automatics are more complicated.

see if i would have that problem... i would just remove the 5th gear sensor out of the tranny and that would some the problem. because the 5th sensor is like another attempt of stoping you from going crazy fast...
but i dont know anything about automatics. they have the same thing, a 4th gear sensor that wont let the engine rev higher than 5000 rpms in last gear.

i mean try to unplug some sensors from the tranny, one of them gotta be the 4th gear sensor.

try one sensor at a time... i know it will take you a while, but thats the only way i can think of...
Old 02-21-2005, 10:43 AM

**** UPDATE ***

ok so what is that 8th wire that everyone talks about? is it good? bad? worth it?

ok i heared alot of discussions about that... and made some research too...

the 8th wire mod is good in only one case, if you have the digital speedometer.
that 8th wire is the governor wire that transmits output to cut the fuel when you reach a certain speed. like 117 for example.

if you cut it, the is no more governor, simple. but heres the catch.
if you have a analog speedometer (niddle), you will be able to go fast but once that niddle touches the bottom of the speedometer, you know that you actually drive faster... and the niddle is trying to go more down but it cant, and over time it will start showing you a wrong speed. (when the niddle stops, you are doing about 125mph)
Old 02-21-2005, 10:43 AM

if you have a digital speedometer, like me, you in a good shape.
if you cut that wire (dont forget to remove the 5th gear sensor) and take it to the highway, you will notice that you speedometer will stop reading your speed at 125mph. but you can tell by the rising RPMS that you still gain speed.
so basically, after 125, you are just gonna have to calculate your actuall speed.

and by the way, that 8th wire is not really that important (UNLESS YOU CUT THE OTHER ONE - PLEASE DONT DO THAT)
its impossoble for it to do any harm. i mean timing, and cams.. all those are not computer controlled, they are movong physical parts. the only thing that computer controlls in our cars (240s) is the injectors, fuel pressure, air/fuel ratio and throttle (for cruise).

and for gods sake and you own sake dont do anything stupid like try to take you car to 6K rpms on highway with stock suspension. you wont get lucky everytime. atleast have some decent springs.

correct me if i was wrong anywhere in this post.
thank you,
driften

***SPEED CALCULATION***

in 5th gear... every 100 rpms is 2.45 miles per hour.

Åxample:
4000 rpms should be about 100 miles per hour.
(4000rpms/100 * 2.45mph = 98mph)

Example 2:
5800 rpms is about 145 miles per hour
(5800rpms/100 *2.5mph = 142mph )
Old 02-21-2005, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by cougar10ag
i cut one of the wires. yellow green stripe or green yellow stripe. all the way on the left side of the plug. all it did was cut me out at 85mph... well prolly 80mph cuz i just found out my speedo reads 4-5mph highr than acual.
well, it looks like you cut the wrong wire buddy.
connect it back ASAP, and cut the other one, if still same outcome, put that one back in one piece and just do the long way... by running a wire from the speedometer.

Originally posted by Z-bra

yes it works. i was about to race a few civics from school one time, then i remembered that i was supposed to cut that damn wire, so i told them that i had to fill up on gas, so i want and cut that wire, it took less than 2 minutes, then we went and raced on the highway. i took on all three civics. i was in fifth gear at 6000 rpms, and i still dont know how fast that is,lol. but i took them by surprise, one of the dudes said he tped out at 135mph and he could not even keep up withe me. yeah man it works.
by the way, do you know how fast i was going?
ps wheres my 5$!

(RPMS / 100) * 2.45 = YOUR SPEED

and are you having any expensive mods done to your engine? cause takin it to 6000 rpms will really take you a while - stock.

Last edited by DRiften; 02-21-2005 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Speed Sensor / Governor (sp?) BYPASS