S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   NA Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/)
-   -   3in Exhaust W/ Stock Header (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/3in-exhaust-w-stock-header-43143/)

Cr8zyDrifter 02-29-2008 07:17 PM

3in Exhaust W/ Stock Header

Hey everyone, how can run a 3in Exhaust, Apexi Gt Spec to be presise. While still using a stock Header. I don't have the money to get a new dc header yet. But i still want to run the exhuast. How would i do that. Are there special cats or testpipes i can use that match both inlet of stock and 3 in outlet? i searched and could only find either 2.5 inlet/outlet or 3in inlet/outlet. the same in as out. Or Did i just not search hard enough. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreieciated.
and iv already decieded on what i want to do. So please no opinions about what i should do different. As it seems so often that when people ask opinions of stuff all they get is craped on for it. and when the don't, then that is all people want to give. Sorry to end in a negative note. not to say that s-chassis is that way, but rather forums in general. ya know how it goes. Thank you to anyone that wishes to help. And i know its gonna be loud as hell! yeah glad i don't live in cali.

garrisonrex 02-29-2008 07:43 PM

Take it to a muffler shop and just have them weld a 3" to 2.5 reducer to the existing headers. thats what i did with my wrx, i got the down pipe and had a muffler shop weld 3" pipe all the what back to a 2.5' magnaflow muffler. Its usually not that expensive.

240-kid 02-29-2008 07:50 PM

You can bolt the 3" to the stock exhaust no problem

Cr8zyDrifter 02-29-2008 08:17 PM

so a 3in testpipe or cat will hook up to stock header? what is the diameter of the stockheader? how does that work if they are different sizes?

240-kid 02-29-2008 11:52 PM

Stock exhaust size all the way through last time I measured was 1.75" and pipping size doesn't matter, all the flanges are the same size. How it works? it free's up restriction after the header? allowing more exhaust flow? thus resulting in more HP? lol

Cr8zyDrifter 03-01-2008 03:13 PM

okay so flanges on apexi gt spec 3in cat back will match up perfectly with flanges on the 93 nissan 240sx's stock catalytic converter? is that what you are telling me? all i need to do is bolt gt spec in place of stock? and replace the gasket between cat and exhaust?

RuizXIII 03-01-2008 07:52 PM

Yeah it does all bolt up, just run new exhaust gaskets to prevent leaks

Cr8zyDrifter 03-01-2008 08:55 PM

Thank you for your help guys, now i don't have to dish out the money for headers and a new cat or test pipe all at once. Well i guess i didn't ever have to. but now i know. Thanks again guys.

TypeX180 03-01-2008 09:31 PM

Apexi GT Spec....god..that exhaust ****ing sucks..and it sounds like ****..

....why would anybody use it

http://i29.tinypic.com/2mg1t3b.jpg

i sure wouldn't...hahaha

i love mine..good buy dude

Cr8zyDrifter 03-02-2008 05:56 PM

its gonna be loud as F*** though, oh well. i just hope it will still sound good with out a turbo. until i can afford to swap. but now iv been thinkin maybe a new ka and boost that. probably don't wanna boost a 120,000 mile motor i have now. but lets not start the whole sr vs. ka thing. im just thinkin out loud. I can't wait to get the gt spec though. its gonna be Baller Baller. hey does that have a resonator in it? i was underneath my car yesterday to get some damn bubble wrap that got snaged on one of the exhaust flanges, then melted to it. and noticed that there is a hella dent in the stock resonator. i don't remember bottoming out on anything like that. so maybe it was there when i bought the car. i better check the oil pan too for dents. Is there anyone else with pictures of there 240 with a GT Spec on it. TypeX do you have a better picture of yours?

MS!3 03-02-2008 06:07 PM

wont be that loud. or maybe im just used to a loud car. lol

your in Texas anyways, so you should be fine with the cops.

TypeX180 03-02-2008 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cr8zyDrifter (Post 357382)
its gonna be loud as F*** though, oh well. i just hope it will still sound good with out a turbo. until i can afford to swap. but now iv been thinkin maybe a new ka and boost that. probably don't wanna boost a 120,000 mile motor i have now. but lets not start the whole sr vs. ka thing. im just thinkin out loud. I can't wait to get the gt spec though. its gonna be Baller Baller. hey does that have a resonator in it? i was underneath my car yesterday to get some damn bubble wrap that got snaged on one of the exhaust flanges, then melted to it. and noticed that there is a hella dent in the stock resonator. i don't remember bottoming out on anything like that. so maybe it was there when i bought the car. i better check the oil pan too for dents. Is there anyone else with pictures of there 240 with a GT Spec on it. TypeX do you have a better picture of yours?

mine is the 3.5 and its not that loud..i mean..it damn sure isn't quite and buts not like super loud..i think it sounds the best when its in boost..and yeah..i'll go brave the snow tomorrow for some pics

Cr8zyDrifter 03-02-2008 10:21 PM

yeah its snowin like a ***** right now here...snow=driftfun, for us non drift equiped 240 owners. i always herd people say that a N/A car, or just a non turbo car would be real loud with a 3in exhaust and that boosted cars exhaust was a little quieter or something like that. i say 3in but in fact your right, that gt spec is like 3.5in or 3.74in(95mm). i think thats the only size. thats the only one i see on the apexi website unless im reading it wrong.

TypeX180 03-02-2008 10:45 PM

yeah..thats the only size..i just meant the piping size..haha

and you will be happy with the sound of it

FuriousZ 03-03-2008 10:51 AM

where in TX are you located?