S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   NA Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/)
-   -   Car dies in idle (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/car-dies-idle-23989/)

rpgfan 06-26-2005 12:26 PM

Car dies in idle

My 1990 s13 cuts off on me whenever its in idle. I have to put the car in neutral and rev the engine while at a stop sign. The rpms drop extremely quick when I let off the gas. When stopped and I don't rev the engine, it bounces on 0 for a second and then dies. This gets really frustrating when I first start that car because if I back out slowly like I should, the car wants to shut off. This doesnt happen every time but it does it way too much. Does anyone know what I can do to diagnose this issue?

I replaced the spark plugs a little while ago so I dont think thats it.
I got it checked at Nissan and they said I needed to get a new wiring system, which would cost me $1700! I'm hoping they just said that to get money from me......and that there is a cheaper solution.

any ideas?

dkdeleon 06-28-2005 02:10 AM

check for vacuum leaks
also maf.
check injectors for leaks

Sick SX 06-29-2005 12:28 PM

IT can also be your TPS senser! Throttle Postioning Senser

nissannick240sx 07-07-2005 09:25 PM

Also o2 sensors and Idle control valve perhaps?

morgan240 07-17-2005 09:00 PM

yeah the vacuum is what got me check both pipes on either end the smallest crack will effect it.

Import240s 07-18-2005 11:11 AM

Hey man I just had the same problem. It was my egr. Its behind the head and looks naturally rusted. There are 3 bolts adn make sure they are extremely tight. A tiny space and it will jack up the car. I fixed mine and it idles. It's rarely the MAF.

87na 07-20-2005 12:16 AM

I had a problem like this not too long ago, and it was very annoying. It turned out mine was from a newly developed exhaust leak!!! Check for any possible vacuum leaks and check your maf. Good luck man :)

rpgfan 07-23-2005 08:07 AM

Thanks A LOT for the replies. I checked for leaks and didnt find anything. I would check the maf but I have no idea what that is. Sorry to sound like an idiot but what is the maf? I'm going to try and check out the egr today when I get a chance. I was able to find some pics of the egr so hopefully I'l be able to find it.

mys13rocks 07-30-2005 02:07 AM

could probably be your distrubutor throwing wrong codes? same problem with my car. its fixed:)

Cape 240 07-30-2005 07:22 AM

MAF is your Mass Air Flow sensor ... if i'm not mistaken it is the thing that looks like a "clip" going from the intake to the airbox.
Un clip it, make sure theres no crap in it, and make sure it is securely clipped back in.

Juiced240 07-31-2005 08:01 AM

Electronics can be really tricky. Like people said. Check the easy stuff first. Throttle Posistion sensor, MAF, EGR. Also you might want to take it to a reputable shop (I never use dealers). When ever I had electrical problems I could find I would take it to the shop and let them diagnos it then fix it myself. Can range anywhere from 30 75 bux. They'll put it on a machine and check it out. Could save you money/headaches in the long run.

You said you changed your spark plugs. Did you check the gap? Did it start doing it after you changed the plugs?

mys13rocks 07-31-2005 09:56 AM

jeeeeez people just do a self diagnostic.. its easy get the manual look for the codes. do the self test...and IT WILL TELL U WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOUR CAR lol ..thats how i found my problem...but i dont remember what site lets u get the manual...some 1 help this guy.

Juiced240 07-31-2005 02:03 PM

Usually Autozone can give you a printout of the codes. They did for my 87 camaro I had. Looked like a really long receipt.

Only reason I said have it tested was because he said nothing about a check engine light. Usually if a code is throwin it gives the light.