S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   NA Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/)
-   -   Car won't start after oil change... (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/car-wont-start-after-oil-change-42660/)

Alteus 01-12-2008 02:52 PM

Car won't start after oil change...

I just changed my oil, and now I can't get the car to start. First time trying to start it cranked, started, then died. Tried it again...crank, start, die. Now it will crank endlessly and won't start. I know I didn't do anything wrong...it's just an oil change, and I've done many in the past with no problems. Dipstick reads full but not too full, so I didn't overfill it. I'm thinking it maybe has something to do with this problem I've been having...but I don't know. Any ideas?? I need to get this fixed!

jramosthe1st! 01-12-2008 03:35 PM

what oil did you use and did you use any additives?

Alteus 01-12-2008 04:12 PM

Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-30, no additives. It's what I always use and I've had no problems. I think this problem is just coincidental...

jramosthe1st! 01-12-2008 04:19 PM

oil viscosity will affect the engine in a way that will keep it from starting. i was hoping you say you did use an additive but since you didn't i'd agree that it is coincidental.

make sure all the wires to the plug,maf, injectors dist. and so forth are on and work from there.

IPWNU 01-12-2008 04:30 PM

Are you sure you didn't fill it with water?

Alteus 01-12-2008 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st! (Post 351262)
oil viscosity will affect the engine in a way that will keep it from starting. i was hoping you say you did use an additive but since you didn't i'd agree that it is coincidental.

make sure all the wires to the plug,maf, injectors dist. and so forth are on and work from there.

Well, I have used 10W30 in the winter in the past and had no problems. I usually go for the higher weight because my car burns a bit. It's not all that cold here either...30s to 40s in the day, and 10s to 20s at night. So I wouldn't think that weight would make much of a difference...but I guess it could. Bah...I really don't feel like changing oil again and wasting money. I'll check all the electrical connections when it's light again.

Alteus 01-13-2008 01:20 PM

Bump for update...

I just checked the plugs. I think something in the head is toast. Laughing The general condition of the plugs was ok...a little black, but otherwise normal. Except for one thing...the spark plug in cylinder two (from the front) was covered in oil. I don't mean a little oil, either...I'm talking soaked in oil; dripping with oil. Before you ask, no oil was spilled in that area at all. What the f**k? So I cleaned it off and soaked it in gas for a while to dissolve whatever else was left. Put it back in, still not starting. I checked all four plugs at this point, especially curious to see if the 2nd plug had oil on it again. It did not, however, it was soaked in gas this time. All the other plugs were the same except plug number 3, which looked normal. What does this mean? Timing issue? Faulty injector? I think I am just going to take it to a shop at this point because I don't have an OBD-II scanner to diagnose it any further.

Also: Forgot to mention that the distributor is fine. I checked for spark on all four plug wires.

jramosthe1st! 01-13-2008 02:59 PM

check your compression and tell us what you find.

Alteus 01-13-2008 06:31 PM

Compression test came out bad...around 60PSI in all cylinders :( Now what?

BigVinnie 01-14-2008 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Alteus (Post 351332)
Compression test came out bad...around 60PSI in all cylinders :( Now what?

Check your timing chain. You might be experiencing overlap that you shouldn't have. Mnanipulating the valve in such a manner that one or the other or both can be open can cause for those low PSI numbers.
Does your timing chain rattle?
Have you checked your coolant in the radiator to make sure coolant passage isn't leaking into the oil pan?

Alteus 01-14-2008 01:37 PM

Well, the timing chain has always rattled just a little, just like every other KA. But I thought that if the timing chain had a problem, it'd be making some serious noise when trying to start. Basically, the motor just turns over endlessly, as if the battery is dead, but I know that's not the issue. I think it is spark related as it is definitely getting gas. I also forgot to open the throttle when I did the compression test so that might be part of the reason for such a low number :D I have not checked the coolant but I'll do that tonight. I'm also going to retest compression.