S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   NA Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/)
-   -   discussion: is swapping in the N60 maf worth it in autox (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/discussion-swapping-n60-maf-worth-autox-45143/)

hatrick6 12-15-2008 03:15 PM

discussion: is swapping in the N60 maf worth it in autox

ok so here's the deal. obviously the n60 maf is a great mod and much better than the stock g70. and i know it increases the rev range from 5800rpm to 6500rpm (anyone have a dyno to show this that also shows hp gains???). so i race competitively in autox (with the SCCA) currently in street touring class and swapping out the maf is not allowed in that class. so the question is should i move up a class (to street prepared) where swapping the maf is allowed (and you can do a few other things like lightened flywheel, better shocks, intake mani, bored TB, and r-compound tires, etc.)

the two things that are stopping me from wanting to switch to street prepared:

1. EVERYONE says it takes a lot of money to be competitive in that class, and i'm not rich.

2. the r-compound tires, i would hate to have to buy a second set of wheels and tires and have to haul them to the track every month.

incase some of you are not familiar with SCCA autox here is a link to a quick summary of what mods are allowed in each class: http://www.azsolo.com/classes/car_cl...sheet_2008.pdf (the class i am in now is STS, and i want to switch to Street Prepared)

Biggamehit 12-15-2008 05:05 PM

you have layed everything out bro.... this is your decision.

in the street prep class it takes a bit of money and detication that is all. the N60 alone will not makes your car that great. Its the mods around the engine that benifit from the N60.

hatrick6 12-15-2008 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit (Post 377814)
you have layed everything out bro.... this is your decision.

in the street prep class it takes a bit of money and detication that is all. the N60 alone will not makes your car that great. Its the mods around the engine that benifit from the N60.

ah yes, i agree, to clarify the car has only a custom intake (the one where u relocate the battery), but is about to get 4-2-1 headers, hi flow cat, 2.5" exhaust, and a 240/248 cam setup and a piggy back upgrade (probably a safc 2)

and yaya, my decision :( just the hauling a separate set of wheels/tires really gets me :bluecrying:

Biggamehit 12-15-2008 07:53 PM

In my 240 i carried a total of 2 full sets of tires,tools and a ham sandwhich lol

as far as your mods.... honestly you will not be challanged until right after you beat the top guy lol as an unknown driver. Then and only then will people began to ask you what you are running. If your car clearly sounds like it has a T10944839 Turbo on it lol, people will probably say something.

if anyone suspects that you are not playing fair... your car will be inspected and then impounded.

hatrick6 12-16-2008 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit (Post 377822)
In my 240 i carried a total of 2 full sets of tires,tools and a ham sandwhich lol

If your car clearly sounds like it has a T10944839 Turbo on it lol, people will probably say something.

hahaha, ya i know the hatch can carry 4 tires (all the integra guys do it at autox) but i'm not sure my '95 zenki can hold all four :(

Biggamehit 12-16-2008 05:40 AM

sorry what i left out was.. that was for drifting.

for auto x bro......... you race on the tires you drove there with. in my region all you were getting was 4 runs. ............ you are not going to kill your tires in four runs. I drove to all my events on Falken RT-615's raced and went home.

I even did an auto-x school had over 25 passes. drove home on them and still did about 2 more auto-x sessions before i had to get new RT-615s

just get a water sprayer to cool the tires between runs.

there is no need to take many tires if you are in a class such as that. if you want to carry additional front tires... that would only be two extra.

USMCDrifter 12-16-2008 05:49 AM

I have a question, how long have you been autocrossing?

hatrick6 12-16-2008 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit (Post 377829)
sorry what i left out was.. that was for drifting.

for auto x bro......... you race on the tires you drove there with.

if you race in a street tire class (like street touring) then yes, if u race in a class where race tires are allowed (like street prepared) then u have to haul a set of wheels/tires to the track or trailer your car to the track

hatrick6 12-16-2008 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by USMCDrifter (Post 377830)
I have a question, how long have you been autocrossing?

about a year and a half now

Biggamehit 12-16-2008 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by ilikegofast (Post 377844)
if you race in a street tire class (like street touring) then yes, if u race in a class where race tires are allowed (like street prepared) then u have to haul a set of wheels/tires to the track or trailer your car to the track

bro i dont know how many countless cars i have counted in street prep class with falken RT-615s etc.... you can run almost anything they just have to be the same size as stock tires that becomes an issue when your choice of tire is not the same as your stock tires.

hatrick6 12-17-2008 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit (Post 377846)
bro i dont know how many countless cars i have counted in street prep class with falken RT-615s etc.... you can run almost anything they just have to be the same size as stock tires that becomes an issue when your choice of tire is not the same as your stock tires.

really? a lot of the street touring guys run that tire here, but most street prepared guys run r-compounds here (some run street tires just because they are too lazy to bring a set and change them or can afford it ;) )

Biggamehit 12-17-2008 04:13 PM

rt-615's are not even the heat anymore in the auto-x world.. its the derreza

hatrick6 12-17-2008 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit (Post 377902)
rt-615's are not even the heat anymore in the auto-x world.. its the derreza

word, which is why i am wayyyyyy excited because i just happen to pick up a brand new, never used set of these from a friend for only $375 :)

Biggamehit 12-17-2008 05:01 PM

Hell yea thats an awesome price man!!

hatrick6 12-18-2008 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit (Post 377905)
Hell yea thats an awesome price man!!

hellz ya it is i can't wait to try them out at our next event on jan 4th. haha, i like how this whole thread has become a discussion between me and you biggamehit ;) hey man since you post in like all my threads whats your name anyway?