S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   NA Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/)
-   -   drifting with no power steering?? (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/drifting-no-power-steering-22464/)

ProjectMy240 05-04-2005 02:23 PM

drifting with no power steering??

How would the 240sx drift with no power steering? i drove a rear wheel drive mr2 the other day with no power steering and was drifting it.. it feels kinda better to me from when I drift in my 240 before the engine blew. So i was thinking once my engine is done to remove my power steering.... what do you guys think???

tryiian 05-04-2005 08:46 PM

the greatest drawback is quick flicking. you`ll never be able to throw the wheel from one lock to the other as quickly with manual steering, which is a lot more prevalent in drifting than just driving around town.

drew935 05-05-2005 09:09 AM

Originally posted by tryiian
the greatest drawback is quick flicking. you`ll never be able to throw the wheel from one lock to the other as quickly with manual steering, which is a lot more prevalent in drifting than just driving around town.
This is correct. When Ueno-san had no power steering in his car for one round in D1, he said that it was harder to drift. You'll find that almost all the cars have power steering. Maybe in smaller cars it isn't as prevalent, but they have done some mod to their steering rack and tie rods.

ProjectMy240 05-05-2005 01:07 PM

mmm. the mr2 i drove that was like an 89 rear-wheel. it felt nice when i was drifting it with no power steering

when i drift in my 240 i always make a mistake and spin out in 180 at the end of drift..

in the mr2 that doesn't happen.. so me confussed. haha didn't know if it had something to do with power steering and non p/s

drew935 05-05-2005 01:58 PM

well first gen mr2s don't come w/ ps. Plus they are mid engine. If you remember that even Keiichi said in his "Drift Bible" that on the mr2s you have to react faster and with the load being on the rear as compared to our cars on the front with the engine, they don't need ps like our cars.:music:

ProjectMy240 05-05-2005 04:42 PM

its just :werd: to me cuz i drifted better then what i used to do with my 240 before the motor went

smurphs_s13 05-05-2005 09:08 PM

the reason you drift better with no power steering is cause it takes more force or the same amount of force you are using with ps to make you spin out.. but without power steering there is less response and less chance for oversteer.. this is what i have found.. cause i do the same damn thing.. i hope i explained that in an understandable way

ProjectMy240 05-05-2005 10:07 PM

yes you have and thanks.. thats why i'm thinking of removing the power steering on the 240

87na 05-09-2005 10:52 PM

most people find it more difficult to drift in any generation MR2 than any 240. Removing the PS saves weight which is good, and not having it there for a while you would eventually get used to it. Ive seen several guys remove the PS and end up drifting their cars quite well.

Z-bra 05-12-2005 07:42 AM

I drifted mine w/o p/s and all it did was get my sholders buffer!lol