S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   NA Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/)
-   -   EGR removal write up anyone? (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/egr-removal-write-up-anyone-44449/)

BlackZenki82 07-22-2008 03:49 PM

EGR removal write up anyone?

first thing, i have searched, it's exhausting... only thing i want to know is if anyone has a link to a write up on the removal of the system... i'm getting the final peices to my exhaust in a little while and while i have the hood popped i might as well gut the system thats throwing my CEL.

a few questions though before i do...

will my CEL be on all the time due to the removal?
will i get the 8bhp I've heard about?
what would the negative effects be on my engine in the long run?
is it really worth it, and/or that easy? (i kinda figure it'll in a PITA).
I've heard it kinda kills the gas mileage....true?
finally, any other tips for such a procedure or anything i should know about?

k_wakasugi 07-22-2008 03:57 PM

There's a super simple mod that'll take care of that EGR related CEL. Give me a while to find it and i'll post it. It's just wiring in the right resistor.

edit: eh... nvm. my memories not as great as it used to be. I don't think it'll help, as it's california cars only... but here's the link anyway. Just in cases.

https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/sho...t=egr+resistor

BlackZenki82 07-22-2008 06:54 PM

no good boss.... very informative tho.... that even if after removal, if my ECU throws a CEL, i could just wire in a resistor... anyone know by chance what resistor to use??

k_wakasugi 07-22-2008 07:42 PM

it should say in that thread....

1 100k ohm/.25 watt resistor

BlackZenki82 07-23-2008 11:31 AM

i was mainly looking for a write up on the removal of the whole system... tubes and all... and the block off, I'm sure it's easy but i just want some step by step instructions. also i would like an answer to the questions i posted, but thanks!!! i love this site!!!!

BlackZenki82 07-30-2008 02:10 PM

Bump!

BlackZenki82 08-09-2008 11:39 AM

Bump!! no one knows anywhere there may be a write up on this removal??? anyone?

jramosthe1st! 08-09-2008 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by BlackZenki82 (Post 369961)

will my CEL be on all the time due to the removal? not if you use a resister

will i get the 8bhp I've heard about? i've heard you can gain around 8whp but i can't say for sure.

what would the negative effects be on my engine in the long run? gas mileage would suffer and might stall a bit from a stop because it would always run rich.

is it really worth it, and/or that easy? (i kinda figure it'll in a PITA). i personally wouldn't recommend it but that's just me and yes it is easy.

I've heard it kinda kills the gas mileage....true? yes

finally, any other tips for such a procedure or anything i should know about?
if you do block off the egr the easiest thing to do is plug the tube from the header to the egr with a nickle then disconnect the appropriate solenoids. place the resister in the proper plug (if you have a ca sires ecu). that way you don't remove anything so if you change your mind it will only take a few minutes to undo.

hope that answers your question.

BlackZenki82 08-09-2008 04:22 PM

that answers alot of em man, thanks.... any way to keep it from running rich? if i out the resistor in, wouldn't trick the ECU to thinking everything is fine and not run rich?? thanks!

ecstacytotale 07-06-2009 11:28 AM

Just completed the EGR block off. Gas mileage is marginally affected - if at all.

I don't know if I've thrown any new codes from it - I'll have to do a check. But, I'd have to lean towards no 'code 32' - because my car seems to be running more efficiently, certainly not pig rich.

On the ass dyno, I would say a little more than a 5hp gain. 8hp isn't out of the question.

Sevarg710X 07-08-2009 06:04 PM

if i had seen this thread last week i'd have made a write up