S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   NA Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/)
-   -   engine howling (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/engine-howling-20578/)

supergimp 03-03-2005 10:36 PM

engine howling

hi i did a search but couldn't find anythign on it...but yeah sometimes my engine makes a howling noise when im gasing it...and sometimes it doesn't....is this a problem or normal for the sohc engine?

ProjectMy240 03-05-2005 01:31 PM

Re: engine howling

Originally posted by supergimp
hi i did a search but couldn't find anythign on it...but yeah sometimes my engine makes a howling noise when im gasing it...and sometimes it doesn't....is this a problem or normal for the sohc engine?
need more details

supergimp 03-05-2005 11:28 PM

i had a 88 hardbody and it made the same noise...i guess yeah the sound a truck makes...it almost sounds like a blower or something....so much that i can't hear my exhaust

ProjectMy240 03-06-2005 05:25 PM

okay? where is the sound coming from? i know sometimes when a water pump is gonna go bad it'll sometiems howl

supergimp 03-07-2005 04:33 AM

sounds like it's coming from the engine...i say drivers side....but yeah it only makes it sometimes....but lately it's been happening more than less....

ProjectMy240 03-07-2005 09:14 AM

why dont you.. start ur car up.. open the hood, give it some throttle and listen for the noise and come post back

Biggamehit 03-07-2005 10:31 AM

my car did the same thing when i had my sohc it actually sounded like a baby turbo and every one thought i had an sr. My sound actually came from a chip in the fan. When the fan spent around it would catch wind turbulence and produce the sound.

kinda cool but i hated to tell people it was not and sr or turbo charged.

as far as the water pump i dont belive it can be that cause my car ran cool all the time. only cooling problems i had were related to my heater hose and bypass .

ProjectMy240 03-07-2005 01:21 PM

i'm just saying water pump cuz i had an 93 altima i had a howing sound and 2 days later water pump blew up and i over-heated. got a new water pump put on and the sound was gone

supergimp 03-07-2005 03:18 PM

ill check the fan...yeah the car runs cool all the time...thanks

Biggamehit 03-09-2005 12:23 AM

Originally posted by ProjectMy240
i'm just saying water pump cuz i had an 93 altima i had a howing sound and 2 days later water pump blew up and i over-heated. got a new water pump put on and the sound was gone
damn maybe my water pump was bad lol i did have serious problem for the first 2 weeks i had my car then it was smooth after that

jbayles 03-14-2005 09:36 PM

If you can reliably hear the noise at idle, take off the water-pump belt, start and run the car for just a minute or so. If theres no noise, its the water pump.

As an educated guesser, howl is usully text-book water pump. The pump will keep working for a while even while it howls, to a point.

JMB

supergimp 03-15-2005 01:52 AM

theres no noise at idle...just when i gas it...my friend was telling me that it could possibly be my clutch fan or something like that...like my clutch might be going?

jbayles 03-15-2005 05:31 PM

Ah yes, the viscous clutch. Sits on top of the water pump. There is a fluid inside that stiffens as it heats up and allows the fan to grab. Could definately make a howl. Good catch.

JMB

DriftOrDieTryin 02-14-2006 02:38 PM

did you end up figureing out what the problem was?

supergimp 02-15-2006 08:52 AM

honestly no i didn't find out what it was...but i sold the car about 6 months ago to this guy who wanted to do an rb20 swap into it...so hopefully he's not having any problems...