NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Engine Might be dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 02:10 PM

Engine Might be dead

I was at a stop light and the car just died. When I turn the key the engine just sits there and cranks and wont turn over. The fuses are just fine it gets fuel and spark but just wont turn over. The alternator turns so there is no starter problems. Just doesnt want to go. Fuel pump seems to be fine and it just doesn't make sence. So any suggestions would be taken very seriously.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:00 PM

sounded like a problem i had a while ago in my 240. if you have a 5spd i can give u a suggestion to try
Old 04-01-2005, 02:11 AM
Contributing Member

now this is a little confusing... you say it wont turn over... that usually means it wont crank (motor wont spin) but you said the alt turns so the motor is in fact cranking...
any way... you are sure that you are getting fuel and spark??? easiest way to check for spark is... pull the number 1 spark plug... put a screw driver into the spark plug wire and lay it next to one of the bolts on the top of the valve cover... crank the motor and look for a spark to jump from the screw driver to the bolt...dont touch the wire or the screw driver while cranking or you will get shocked...
as far as getting fuel... only way i can tell you how to check that is to remove the fuel line... purge the fuel system by removing the fuel pump fuse crank the motor a few times... since it wont start you will have no way to know if the pressure is off the system or not...but... remove the fuel line comming from the fuel filter... if it shoots gas all over the place then you know it was not purged...so dont be smoking when you do this... then reinstall the fuse and the fuel line...have someone turn the key to the run position... the fuel line should actually move while it is pressuring up...hold onto it while the key is turned on and you can feel it get pressure... if there is no pressure then you might have a clogged fuel line or fuel filter or your pump is dead... check these things and let me know...
Old 04-01-2005, 02:18 AM
Contributing Member

check your wireing harness around you fan for broke or rubbed
markings, i had the same problem last year and it was
a wire broke from the fan rubbing against it. hope this helps
p.s also check your power transister.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:42 AM

Where would be the power transister. We checked all the fuses and the fuel line is getting fuel and there is spark cuz my friend shocked the hell out of himself with the screw driver part. LOL Other then that it is a 5 speed so anyother sugestions would help greatly.. Also where is the grounding parts of the motor so I can check the grounds. THANKS AGAIN
Old 04-01-2005, 06:53 PM

I had the same problem when my 240 used to run.. the same thing and i would check everything i could of think of.. reason why mine didn't start was beacuse of the clutch switch behind the clutch pedal. ... i ****ed around with that and that worked out for me... try that if your car is a 5spd.. check that and see whats up with ur clutch switch..
Old 04-01-2005, 06:56 PM

ohhh wikd240, I got my block done and back in the engine bay!!! this weekend's work if it dont rain.. get the top end done!!!!
Old 04-01-2005, 09:19 PM

Well.... ill really have to try that out.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:31 PM

try that asap. I didn't even have to replace mine.. mine was just off and it was bent... i re-centerded mine and my car fired right up. let me us know if that works for you.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:35 PM

Well heres the thing the car used to be AUTO and now 5spd and the clutch didn't need to be used to start the car.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:37 PM

correct the clutch disc doesn't need to be used but the clutch switch pedal does need to be used to start up the car!
Old 04-01-2005, 09:41 PM

trust me.. my car was doing the same thing for like a week. I check my battery, my grounds, my starter, my timing, my spark plug and wires, i check my aternator, i check my fuses, my fuel pump, i checked my distrubor.. all of them were fine for me and weren't the problem in my case. Then I did a little seaching and I came up with trying the clutch pedeal switch. next day i looked at my clutch pedal switch and it was bent and off centered...i fixed it and magic my car started right up
Old 04-01-2005, 09:46 PM

Here ya go!! here is a link to prove... http://www.ehow.com/how_112584_troub...-car-wont.html

scroll down the page and read number 3! it says.... this... 3. If car is stick shift, check that clutch pedal is fully depressed. Check neutral safety switch behind clutch pedal (small button that prevents engine from starting when transmission is in gear). If clutch pedal doesn't fully engage neutral safety switch, engine will not crank.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by sr20driftDet
Where would be the power transister. We checked all the fuses and the fuel line is getting fuel and there is spark cuz my friend shocked the hell out of himself with the screw driver part. LOL Other then that it is a 5 speed so anyother sugestions would help greatly.. Also where is the grounding parts of the motor so I can check the grounds. THANKS AGAIN
Attached Thumbnails Engine Might be dead-power-tansister.gif  
Old 04-02-2005, 03:39 AM
Contributing Member

myproject240... the car used to be an auto... it does not have a clutch switch... that is what he is saying to you... there was never a clutch switch in an auto so he cant check it... it aint there...when you do an auto swap you wont have one...good job on the motor... catch up with you soon...

Quick Reply: Engine Might be dead