NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Gas Saving mod...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 06:02 PM

Gas Saving mod...?

I'm a very strict person when it comes to saving money. So I decided to make my 240 save as much gas *** possible (notice "***"). So I saw this thing in Discovery channel were this new pick-up truck came with a system that cuts off 4 of the 8 pistons to save gas. So I can do this very easily. I decided to start by cutting each of the power wires that go to the injectors, 1 for each injector. Then I wired them to a little box with some relays. Then have theNo1 and No4 pistons in one relay, and 2 and 3 in another. This Combination proved to be the best at creating vibrations. !! Attention!! If you’re doing this, get the signal cables for each injector in a separate circuit. Don’t mix the signal cables, or un-expect results may happened. Now I have all the injectors connected trough relays, and all in one small box inside the engine bay. From that box, 2 small power cables go to the dash. One for each set of relays (1&4, 2&3). Then you need 2 switches. For on off, another to choose for set of pistons. The first switch should send the power directly to the relays and the next should have 3 positions: 1&3, 2&4, and both. Now this is how it works. This system only works on highways or at RPMs higher than 2.8K. Lower than this and the Hp production is too low and inefficient, or engine might stall and turn off. When you’re going on the highways, switch the power on, then flip it to one set of pistons, and then change every 2 to 3 min. You need to switch in order for the engine to properly wear and heat itself. Otherwise, something can happen to your engine. If you know some electronics you can figure out a way to put a timer so it switches itself. I don't have graphs or specific data on how much hi save, but before I used 20 Bucks a week for gas, now those 20 bucks last 9 days, including a nigh of street Racing, which consumes unusual amounts of fuel, or about 10 days if there's no SR. Please be advised that messing with injectors is kind of difficult and wiring the wrong things might send power to you ECU burning it (200$?).

Edit note: I recently filled the tank and I got 435 miles. Acording to Edmunds car information the range is 350 miles.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:20 PM

wait so let me get this straight. Basically what you did is cut off fuel to 2 of your 4 injectors and relayed them to the pistons? so at any one time you're running on 2 injectors and 2 pistons unless you switch all of them on? Is that correct?
Old 06-19-2005, 01:45 AM
Contributing Member

the crazy **** your ecu is going through... the ot sensor will notice the lean condition and try to dump more fuel to get things back into spec... but it cant get there... so it will start retarding the timing until it cant reduce it any more... then you flip the switch and go back to 4 injectors and spazz goes the ecu because now it is running super rich and it has to advance the timing and cut the fuel again... then back to lean... freak spazz freak spazz twitch... i dont know what the long term effects of this mod will do to your ecu bet damn that is a lot of work to be putting on that little box all the time...

cadillac did this for a few years as well... and they had some success with it... it has been a gm thing from the beginning... the thing about it is that there are 4 fuel maps inside of the ecu that is running this type of system that keeps the ecu from freaking out and smoking itself...

good luck with it and i hope you have no problems...
Old 06-19-2005, 01:48 AM

i always thought pistons work through the crank and therefore you can't really "turn them off".
Old 06-19-2005, 04:22 AM
Contributing Member

the pistons do not get shut off they just dont fire like normal... only the fuel is cut to the cylinder... meaning it wont fire when sparked... basically what it is doing is making the motor miss on 2 holes... or run on only 2 cylinders...
Old 06-20-2005, 11:41 AM

I figured this out when one day I wanted to check my inyectors to see if they were good and I decided to run the engine and disconect the inyectors by hand. It does jump a litle everytime I change, but there'snot that much to it. I've been doing this for like a month and a half and its still running good. The ECU might try to enrich the mixture, but not by that much since its also knowing that 2 pistons are not firing. And I don't even think that the O2 sensors are working either, after 150K miles....The engine light goes on every time I try this, but thats about it. I don't know how it'll retard the timing since these engines run on distributors.

Besides, I don't really care what happends to it, I'm 400$ short of my RB25
Old 06-20-2005, 12:14 PM

the ecu retards the timing by telling the plugs when to spark, the distributor doesn't do it on its own
Old 06-24-2005, 02:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by wikd240
the crazy **** your ecu is going through... ... then you flip the switch and go back to 4 injectors and spazz goes the ecu because ... freak spazz freak spazz twitch...

haha, ECU epilepsy
Old 06-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member

i thought that this happened only when the truck gets too hot? I know in my dad's 2001 f150, thats what it does when it begins to overheat, the other 4 cyliders pump air and help cool the motor...
Old 06-25-2005, 09:44 PM
Contributing Member

That is some very crazy shizzat you got going on there, but at least you can blow the motor without worry. Anyway, take it easy, and hope that keeps working out for ya...interesting.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

cool! let us know how everything turns out with the ECU etc.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:00 PM

So far everything is good. my main concern is the fact that due to my super busy schedule I forgot to change the oil at 3K and I changed it at 7K. I cheked the oil and it was on low, and the engine was hot on the head part, that when i put some more oil it burned my wrist, I changed it, added a oil treatment from STP and a can of Engine Restore. I hope all that helps to make it good again. I feel so guilty for leaving the engine run low on oil and not changin it, I feel like a.... Woman. Now there's ladies who know cars, But I'm not getting into that discusion. Do you guys think any damage was done? do the "Engine Restore Can" helps? it ran low on oil for about a week, on old oil.... I feel so guilty

And here's a new question: Do you guys know if there's some kind of inyestors for gas? like propane or such?

Sorry for Typos*

Edit note: I recently took it for a check up and noticed that none of my two O2 sensors are working, At all, no signal what so ever. So my mechanic said that since the computer doesn't know how much fuel is being burned or how eficiently, it calculates how much fuel it needs by the amount of air coming in. thats why the mod has no efect on the ECU, I think. I'm not changing the O2 sensors anytime soon becuz they are a total or like 120 bucks.

Last edited by Joel SX; 06-29-2005 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

no damage should have been done. most of those "engine restore" things suck. Ive run my acura on a bottle of prolong, and 2 quarts low on synthetic before. theres been times when i had gone 8k miles without changing it. jap engines run like champs ill tell you what
Old 06-29-2005, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member

I was actually thinking of doing this, but instead of just running on 2 cyclinders, I was gonna run on 3 cyclinders on the highways. Jus run 4 swihces to all the injectors and turn one off every so often when cruising on the highway.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

Any updates on the engine?