S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   NA Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/)
-   -   Guess who has rod knock . . . . . (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/guess-who-has-rod-knock-46626/)

USMCDrifter 12-23-2009 07:31 PM

Guess who has rod knock . . . . .

I do......

shaban 12-23-2009 08:55 PM

LOL, OWNED!

jk that sucks.

USMCDrifter 12-23-2009 09:09 PM

It is what it is . . .KA's are garbage engines, drifters go through them like black men through watermelon, LOL!

I should really go with an SR or RB . . .if I go with D1SL, I'm going to have to go SR or CA . . .whichever engine I get, it won't be as bad as a KA . . .maybe I'll just get another car altogether . . .won't be the first time I sold a car because something broke on it.

240smoke 12-23-2009 10:36 PM

damn, that sucks man. check to see if the crank is messed up, if not then just replace the bearings.

USMCDrifter 12-23-2009 10:56 PM

Yeah, maybe I should mention that this is my only car . . .

240smoke 12-23-2009 11:10 PM

what happened to your mustang?

Biggamehit 12-23-2009 11:33 PM

they are surely not garbage. My KA with 8psi is way better than a stock SR20 trust me.

shaban 12-24-2009 12:08 AM

x2 on mustang

And get an LSx, don't be a vag.

USMCDrifter 12-24-2009 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by 240smoke (Post 393541)
what happened to your mustang?

Sold the Mustang in favor for this hunk of garbage . . .good car, horrible motor.

Originally Posted by Biggamehit (Post 393542)
they are surely not garbage. My KA with 8psi is way better than a stock SR20 trust me.

They most certainly are. They weren't built to rev as high as we take them, but Nissan allows them to rev as high as they do. The engine would probably prefer a 5000-5500 RPM limit, but we just pound on up past 6000. It hates it.

It's also the most destroyed motor in all of drifting. And it's not for a lack of trying with other engines. These engines are just deplorable at best. Yeah, if you rip the block apart and undo everything Nissan has put into it, thus rendering it not the engine that came from the factory, yeah, it's pretty decent. But the same can be said for any motor, you put enough coin into it, it won't blow up on you. I mean, hell, with enough money, you can make a reliable 13B-t . . .

Your KA is rebuilt with aftermarket parts, you told me this yourself. If you left it as it sat from the factory or just replaced it with all Nissan OEM or OEM replacement parts (not forged or built to handle 500hp parts) then it wouldn't be a matter of it not blowing up, it'd just be it not blowing up yet.

While all motors have their drawbacks, weaknesses, shelf-life and lifespan, I've never seen a motor, since the rotary, that's more notorious for failing. The mere mentioning of the KA in the tuner world brings to fruition conversations of rod knock and weak bottom ends. Then there's the head, which is sturdy enough, flows like crap, but is sturdy enough.

Why we didn't get the SR is beyond me, I'm sure there's some logistics behind it that I'll never understand nor care to understand, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea. Lets make a sports car, put a motor that's not rev happy, make it rev up, and while we're at it, we'll add some stuff in the engine that doesn't really do anything but make noise. The way we'll have people fix the noise is to just open the engine and remove the useless part. But if they don't remove the useless part, it'll break off causing catastrophic engine failure. Awesome Nissan . . .awesome.

It's like they did this:

Good price? Check
Good handling? Double Check
Cool backing in motorsports? Check and Check
Good looks? I'd say so . . .check
Well built and nice fit and finish? Checkerino
Sports car feel and drive? Check
Sports car engine? We'll just take this engine and put it right here . . .reset the rev limit and let people bounce off the limiter all day and be surprised when it destroys bearings.

*sigh*

Okay, done ranting . . .

Originally Posted by shaban (Post 393543)
x2 on mustang

And get an LSx, don't be a vag.

Yeah, thought about doing that. If my sponsors are cool about it, I'll just pay for another KA, get it put in, and trade my car in on their LS1 S14. I'll pay whatever difference to not have to worry about my motor blowing up because I'm revving it where it doesn't want to be revved. The LS motor is the way to go in most facets. It's big, strong, built like an anvil and will take a beating all day whether you're bumbling around at 2000RPM or blasting around corners at 7000 RPM.

Biggamehit 12-24-2009 12:54 AM

weak bottom end?????? the only weakness is the piston ringlands brother.

USMCDrifter 12-24-2009 12:57 AM

Is that why every non-rebuilt KA develops rod-knock at one time or another. Like seriously a ticking timebomb that isn't a matter of IF it'll go, but when? I was told that the rod knock is due the bearing where the rod connects to the crankshaft works loose and rattles about as the engine goes through it's 4 strokes.

Biggamehit 12-24-2009 01:07 AM

no its not, totally separate.

what it comes down to is staying away from the rev limit meaning choose the right gear or install a Bee-R rev-limiter like I did.

I blew two of them driving the KA like it was a B18. After research I learned what I did wrong and never broke another one........ Stay away from over revving and the motor will last. It is a stroker engine.

none of my motors were ever rebuilt.

jramosthe1st! 12-24-2009 11:29 AM

it sucks when you only have one car and it dies on you. i went though the same thing about 4 years ago with my 240. the knock was a result of my negligence and not because the engine was weak, so it only made me feel worse.

silviaks2nr 12-24-2009 12:45 PM

pistons + rods + boost.
do it.

USMCDrifter 12-24-2009 01:44 PM

LMAO! Hell yeah . . . we'll see guys, we'll see . . .I'm not sure what's going on yet . . .