S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   NA Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/)
-   -   Help me car won't start (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/help-me-car-wont-start-44186/)

Ig_3k 06-17-2008 12:14 PM

Help me car won't start

just got a 240sx was running. beat on some and now it won't start.Before the it would not start it was stalling at 3500 and 4500 rpm under load

. it will roll start and stay on. the starting system is fine. I am at lost as to what the problem please help

jramosthe1st! 06-17-2008 04:01 PM

are there any nosies coming from the engine such as clicks and what not? when you start it have the alternator checked most parts stores will do this for free. if the alt checks out fine have the started checked. the problem could even be corrosion on the battery posts and terminals. the stalling leads me to believe it's alt. related though. you should first make sure the connections to the already mentioned parts are free of corrosion and secure then have the mentioned parts tested.

Ig_3k 06-30-2008 09:36 AM

it some kind of computer thing just not sure what as i have no experience with fuel injection

BigVinnie 06-30-2008 06:28 PM

Run an ecu diagnostic and get back to us. If the codes are clear then start checking electrical issues such as grounding, alternator, and battery.

Ig_3k 07-02-2008 02:14 PM

just because i'm a new member does not make me stupid. the first post in this thread says starting system is fine and car stays on when roll start which means the alt. is fine as for running a diagnostic on ecu if i had some way to do it, i would. short of taking it to shop i don't know if some one tell another way to do that it would be greatly appreciated

jramosthe1st! 07-02-2008 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ig_3k (Post 368992)
just because i'm a new member does not make me stupid. the first post in this thread says starting system is fine and car stays on when roll start which means the alt. is fine as for running a diagnostic on ecu if i had some way to do it, i would. short of taking it to shop i don't know if some one tell another way to do that it would be greatly appreciated

idk where the implication was made that you are stupid. i do know however that you have yet to answer my original question. just fyi if the car can be push started and stays on the alt can still be the problem just as a number of other things. the obd I 240s don't need a special tool to check for codes so that would be a good place to start.

BigVinnie 07-02-2008 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ig_3k (Post 368992)

We are all equal here bro, Ramos is just being direct and to the point. He isn't trying to call you an idiot. He's just trying to help.

jramosthe1st! 07-02-2008 09:39 PM

yeah believe me if i wanted to make you feel bad you'd know it. anyways i still think the ecu should be your first priority.

Ig_3k 07-05-2008 01:57 PM

how do I run an ecu diagnostic I have never own a car with an ecu all other cars were pre 1979

Ig_3k 07-07-2008 04:23 PM

no grinding clicks or noises of any sort. how do i check the ecu. sorry about that last post just frustrated about the car i checked everthing i could think of can't figure it out on my own and i'm not good at asking for help. some of my friends have been saying something about a crank position sensor could that be it.

jramosthe1st! 07-07-2008 04:43 PM

first download the fsm in it you'll find the answers to your question about the ecu.
https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/how-tos-installations-48/free-downloadable-factory-service-manuals-fsm-34805/

the absence of any noses tells me that it's probably the battery or starter. you say it did start at one point but it would stall so i'm thinking your battery is dead because the alternator is no longer functional. once again i'm just coming up with the best possible conclusion based on the information you provided.

you should probably take off the alt and stater and have them tested along with the battery. most parts stores will do this for free.

Ig_3k 07-07-2008 05:29 PM

the starter was my first thought and alt. my next checked them both already they are good the problem is computer related. when roll started it stays as long as you want

jramosthe1st! 07-07-2008 10:49 PM

i don't think it's ecu related directly but like i said, we can be guessing here for a while unless you check for codes. i could tell you to test the inhibitor switch, coil, injecters,maf....... and so on but like i said it's a guess.

Ig_3k 07-09-2008 01:18 PM

neutral safety switch was bad ran ecu
sorted. Also i was trying it was a bad sensor not bad ecu