NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

I F***d up my A/C system

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 09:28 PM

I F***d up my A/C system

s ohere's how the story goes. I had to change my engine. when I did I disconected the lines and lots of Psssshhhhhtttttt!!! soudn came off, gas everywhere. Then the lines where open for like 2.5, maybe 3 weeks. then I put everything back together. Recently I bought 2 cans of R134 refrigerant, sicne my brother used that on his 88 MX6, I thoguth it woudl be the same for my car since they R both old. And so I pluged the quick disconect int othe low preasure fitting, and opened the refrigerant flow. While doing this I opened the High preasure so that air would flow trough. when I felt the gas coming out, I closed it, so the whole air was out of the system, and now full of gas. Of course there still some air o nit, but its minimal.

When I started the A/c sytem, somehow the squeling sound of the belt came on and the engine shut off. The compresor made such a large force on the engine, it actually shut it off. If I turned the a/c on while drivign (say 2.8, 3K rpms?) it wouldn't turn it off. A very solid bibration was all over the area, and I could feel it on the pedals. The A/C was cooling like never before. as soon as I woudl stop accelerating, it would tur nthe engine off.

I emptied out the R134, and started the car, when I turn on the A/C wihtou preasure, it makes this "ratling" sound, like the fan was hittign something, but it wasn't the fan.

1)I don't understand, why would it even turn on without preasure?

2) what happened?

3) do I need to add oil? maybe the compresor is seezing b/c it needs oil

4)how much oil should I put? What type? I got a can of PAG

5) what woudl hapend if my car had R12 and I filled it with R134?

6) if I just added R134, and the can I bought said It had oil in it, woudl that be ok?

7)the guy that sold me the car said he changed the refrigerant to the new a/c gas ( which I could care less back in the day) and now that I saw it, it had the new R134 fittings. My bro's MX6 didn't. so if it has the fittigns, shouldn't it have r134 in it?

8)is my compresor gone? how much 4 one at the junkyard? new?

9)if I put R134, and it had R12, now that (I asume) it has both oils, should I put R12 and R12oil in it and be ok? Can I add that R12 substitute from ebay?

10)Do you guys think that the thign that traps watter may have cloged b/c it was opened for long, and now the compressor can't pass air trough b/c its cloged, therefore, the inmense amount of preasure generated makes the engien stall?

what should I do? no, mechanic is not an option.

you can see me here puttign the torque converter back on, the litle can that I'm talkign about its next to my elbow, and next to it, the low preasure, blue cap., or is it something else I need to replace?