NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

KA to SR

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

Unhappy KA to SR

I have a SR20DE non-turbo engine and I can't find a SR non-turbo harness or ECU for it. Can I use a double overheaded cam KA24DE wiring harness and ECU instead?
Attached Thumbnails KA to SR-i-1_6.jpg  
Old 01-12-2003, 06:34 PM
Contributing Member

No.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:29 PM

Why can't you find a ECU and harness? Check junkyards. Also check out some Sentra and 200sx forums, I guarantee that you'll be able to rummage up a harness and ECU.

There was someone on the other board I went to that used the SR20 harness and ECU on the KA and said it worked fine...but this is just what I was told.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

I have a question:

Why the hell are you swapping out your KA for a LESS powerful motor?

Doesn't make any sense to me, especailly when you can find low mileage KA's for less than $1000 all over the place and not have to scrounge for parts and adapt FWD harnesses to a RWD application.

-Justin
Old 01-19-2003, 12:24 PM

hes not swapping out his KA for a non turbo SR. Hes looking for a ECU to go with his SR, he most likely has a 200SX or sentra, without the SR, and now got a SR and has no ECU, and the SR non turbo is a FF application BTW. The turbo FF is from a bluebird if memory serves me right, doesnt usually haha, not the more common SR20DET found in the 180/RPS13/S13/S14/S15 chassis but in anycase i could be wrong, its what i think the post suggests. Lata

Last edited by twisted_240; 01-19-2003 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by twisted_240
hes not swapping out his KA for a non turbo SR. Hes looking for a ECU to go with his SR, he most likely has a 200SX or sentra, without the SR, and now got a SR and has no ECU
And why is he asking a 240sx board instead of the many sentra/200sx boards?

the SR non turbo is a FF application BTW.
Ever hear of the Silvia J, Q, Spec S, or Autech? How about the 180sx type S?

The turbo FF is from a bluebird if memory serves me right
No SR20DET EVER came in a FF car. They were all AWD in the Bluebird SSS, Pulsar, and X-Trail.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

Forgot to say if you look at his pic the engine is obviously RWD.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:20 PM

ah ha a clue! indeed it does look liek a RWD app, considering its vertical to the tranny, also didn't know of the J, Q and the like non turbos, i thought that the J and Q lines of 180/S13 etc. were equiped with the CA, i know thwe CA T was in the 88-90 RP/S13. I hadn't come across any info one the 91+ NON turbo SR's my mistake. Also i only got pieces of the bluebird specs, shouldn't have said otherwise, although i know of some SR20DE-Ts, aftermarkwet turbos or factory, but i could have sworn there was one model of car that had the SR20DET stock, don't know much about th bluebird at all Any other info on the 91+ non turbo 180/S13? i wanna learn more about the neglected models of the 180/S13. Thanks for the conertions, and i also dont know why you'd buy a non turbo SR, but to each their own, not a bad choice mind you, all engine is always good . lata days
Old 01-19-2003, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

I certainly don't get it....

That is a less powerful (if more refined) motor than the KA. By the time you get any significant performance out of the SR20DE, it will have cost you more than just getting the SR20DET in the first place, or putting a turbo kit on a KA.

I tend to modify my cars in the hopes of increasing power. I would never perform a motor swap with the best possible outcome being a smaller less powerful motor... if you can find the parts/wiring to get it running.

-Justin
Old 01-30-2003, 09:22 AM

However the sr can take up to 500hp on stock internals while you'll be building up once the ka hits the 350hp mark. I would just buy a sr20det or build up the ka for nitrous.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

Smile KA to SR

Guys, why are you knocking me? You don't know the whole story. I'm taking a US 240SX and I am doing a complete JDM conversion on it or as complete as I can afford to. I didn't have the funds at the time to get a SR20DET so I bought that RWD SR20DE engine instead. Hey, it may not be popular but it is JDM and in my book that makes it better than the KA that was in the car. I wouldn't want to show my face at a car show with a psuedo-Silvia powered by a KA anyway. Gimme a break!
Attached Thumbnails KA to SR-img_0437.jpg  

Last edited by positron; 01-30-2003 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

Re: KA to SR

Originally posted by positron
Hey, it may not be popular but it is JDM and in my book that makes it better than the KA that was in the car. I wouldn't want to show my face at a car show with a psuedo-Silvia powered by a KA anyway. Gimme a break! [/B]
That is one of the DUMBEST things I've ever read!

You're not a car enthusiast - you're a tool. No matter what you do to your 240SX, guess what - it's going to be a 240SX. It will NEVER be a Silvia.

It can be fast, but it will never be anything but a 240SX, USDM 240SX. Just that yours will be much slower than the rest.

So I wish you good luck. I hope someone else has the answers to the questions for your half-assed project because you've wasted far more than your share of my time.

-Justin
Old 01-30-2003, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jaltima
However the sr can take up to 500hp on stock internals while you'll be building up once the ka hits the 350hp mark. I would just buy a sr20det or build up the ka for nitrous.
Umm... he's talking about the SR20DE. You know, the n/a motor just like the one from the Sentra.

And BTW, to get an SR up to 500hp will take a healthy bit of strengthening in the valvetrain.... but there's really no need to make this an SR vs KA pissing contest. I think we've all seen enough of those.

KA24DE+t vs SR20DET is one thing.

Any other Nissan RWD motor vs an n/a SR20DE is quite another.

-Justin
Old 01-30-2003, 06:03 PM

well it is his choice to do so, but it can be a very JDM machine if you put in the major time to convert to RHD (but y would you is beyond me) get the 180SX rear windows and add the Turbo to the mix. I think the SR NA is another swap that hasnt been tried (far as my knowledge goes). I hope ya got a good deal on the NA version though , but i think if it was to be just a daily driver and not be a powerful machine as is, which is the message i am receiving, its fine. We aren't all draggers or drifters or wanganers or w/e we all have diff takes and dont bash him, take into consideration others ideas and opinions with respect. besides a 250hp NA SR could be pretty cool. Indivigual throttle bodies mmmm. Anyway, more power to ya man, and the SR20DET swap is so whored nowadays i dont blame ppl looking for a new source of originality, Thank you mainstream magazines and TV shows .
Old 01-30-2003, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: KA to SR

Originally posted by Justin.b
That is one of the DUMBEST things I've ever read!

You're not a car enthusiast - you're a tool. No matter what you do to your 240SX, guess what - it's going to be a 240SX. It will NEVER be a Silvia.

It can be fast, but it will never be anything but a 240SX, USDM 240SX. Just that yours will be much slower than the rest.

So I wish you good luck. I hope someone else has the answers to the questions for your half-assed project because you've wasted far more than your share of my time.

-Justin
Who made this guy the end all and the be all in this forum. What mods and parts have you bought for your fastback to justify you being able to bash me? From what I have seen on your website your car is as stock as a can of soup. Salt God is right, quit pouring salt on other peoples game.

www.cardomain.com/profile/positron