S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   NA Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/)
-   -   KADE rebuild questions (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/kade-rebuild-questions-44856/)

BlackZenki82 10-09-2008 09:32 AM

KADE rebuild questions

so i have question for ya.... being a guy that knows minor mechanical things, brakes, alt starters, nothing too in depth, only thing i've done inside a motor was removing the timing chain guides, and even then i was nervous. the main question at hand is, how hard is it exactly to rebuild the KA, and what are the realistic costs therein. i was thinking of pulling my motor, and DDing my Tahoe while i rebuild the engine myself, but I'm not too sure how to go about doing that...

i know some of you may say, "oh the KA is super easy to rebuild" and that's after your 5th engine, this will be my first ever tear down and rebuild of any engine except a moped when i was 15, and it never ran right after that, still ran though... and i want to try to avoid any war stories. Also my funds are VERY limited at this point due to the fact that i got laid off a little over 5 weeks ago and the job market here sucks balls....

anyways, i want to clean the whole bay up, maybe respray it and have my motor look clean (paint, powder coated) and to remove the emissions stuff correctly....

I'm just cautious because i don't want to end up with a shiny car, with no motor cause i tore it out and f'd it up.... thanks for the time to read all this... i may copy and past it out in other forums cause it about covers most of my questions

so, realistically speaking, for a guy like myself, with minimal internal engine work exp, how hard and long would this "procedure be? remember, i have no job and all the time in the world. i know i want to rebuild it, even though it's currently running, and running fine, and to get it somewhat set up for boost, but at this point i cant afford the forged pieces unless i get em from a part out or "second hand".... do i need all that? do i need it bored? or just honed? decked? milled? and how bout the head? is that easy? I'd like some port/polish work, and some valves, springs, retainers (that stuff I'm pretty sure i can do myself) .... I'm just cautious because i don't want to end up with a shiny car, with no motor cause i tore it out and f'd it up.... thanks for the time to read all this... i may copy and past it out in other forums cause it about covers most of my questions

and i have searched, but get all kinds of conflicting info...

NiSmO Knight 10-09-2008 12:22 PM

Send Vinnie (BigVinnie) or Donnie (BIGGAMEHIT) a PM, they have a solid and honest background with KA's.

Just let them know the mileage of the motor and what you plan to do with the car.

BlackZenki82 10-09-2008 02:51 PM

coo, deal man... will do...

Biggamehit 10-09-2008 08:54 PM

ok well first you must ask yourself what you want to do. what level am i trying to build to?

-if you want to build a motor correctly, you should be able to spec it your self and or take it apart and get it to a machine shop. if you meet them half way, your price will be very very cheap becuase all they are doing is measureing things for you.

-as far as the head, well if you are not going for a super high NA setup, you can leave the valves alone if they are seated properly. if you want to change them, you will have to have the head hot tanked and you should have the head speced also.
-
-about the block, if you are cracking it open.. please take it to a shop and have it honed so that everything is even, you could do a hand hone, but well good luck and you will need time to go back and measure everything over and over.

-as far as taking the motor apart, just have a FSM beside you. I will PM you an link that will show pretty much and actual assembly of a motor.

-as far as your knowleadge. everyone of us that are here right now and have a better understanding and over 6-8 years of mechanical exp all started from your point brother, you have what it takes to become a good mechanic, the will to do it. Lots of people think its easy to break things. To be honest, besides the fragile things ( which many dont exist in a motor lol) you really have to be doing it wrong to F something up.

ps

im at work and i dont have spell check.... Sooouuuee me

BlackZenki82 10-10-2008 02:18 PM

lol@no spell check...

my goals are around 250-300WHP.... probably around 275WHP would be fine... i really don't want to go forged internals, i know they're perfecto for the job but i can't afford the cost they're going for....

hot tanked? spec'd?

i just met a guy yesterday at the meet, used to be a buddy of mine, well a chronic dealer of mine waaaaay back in the day, now out of the game, but anyways, i saw him last night, and he has a S14 parts car at his house and i think we might work out a deal where i get his motor, not trans (auto), and rebuild that, that way, i'll still have my S14 running and what not. then once that motor is rebuilt, i can just swap em out... he's also got a motor stand and hoist... so cross your fingers...

i think i may go that route... that way my 240 has no down time except while doing the swap... and i'll have time to spend on the motor, and not be in any rush to get it done (i have a tendency to rush things and screw stuff up), also, i've i fug anything up, ITS NOT MY MOTOR lol

Biggamehit 10-11-2008 08:13 AM

sounds great bro.. good plan indeed.. at one point i had 3 Ka's lol in my possession.. only 2 worked though lol.