S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   NA Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/)
-   -   lots of smoke, think timing is off-help (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/lots-smoke-think-timing-off-help-1258/)

rudeboy 09-14-2002 06:20 PM

lots of smoke, think timing is off-help

hey, i got the timing gear kit and new timing cover on tonite and the car is back from the dead. barely.......when it starts it idls really low and smells like alot off unburnt fuel in the exhaust. i turned the distributer(? sp) all the way to the front of the car and it helped. it still idle's like it's gona pass out. think mabey the cam timing is off cuz i hear it under the valve cover. then affter a couple minutes there is smoke by the manifold(exhaust). when i touch the accelerator it almost stalls till i give it a little more.

ask me some questions and make suggestions. help me get my s13 runnin:tear:

by the way, tonite is the ffirst time in about 6 or 7 months it has ran

I'm with Stupid 09-14-2002 06:37 PM

Definately sounds like the cam timing. Dunno what to tell you though:dunno:

rudeboy 09-14-2002 07:16 PM

ok:confused:

anybody else?????????

95exlude 09-15-2002 11:16 AM

i think a good dyno and tuning are in order...

I'm with Stupid 09-15-2002 04:19 PM

I just think you should recheck your timing marks.

rudeboy 09-15-2002 07:01 PM

thats next on the list. that smoke by the ex manafold was caked on oil and grime. degreased it and no more smoke. took a little spin up the street, no power what so ever. it heats up real quick. checked out disturb. timing. seems ok. so now i guess its time to go back under the timing cover to inspect. all timing marks. not fun since i busted my ass getting it all in.

used Gunk Motor Flush. that stuff works good. quieted the lifter noise, especially with mobil 1. oh. any clues as to why when there is the tiniest amount of gas put down it almost stalls??

its probaly the smallest thing in the world that i missed or need to check. don't be actin like you car has always ran perfectly!!!:nono:

I'm with Stupid 09-15-2002 09:38 PM

Is the idle rough or smooth? If it's smooth, but low, I could be wrong about the cam timing. You should check your vacuum hoses and your fluids (oil in coolant/coolant in oil).

rudeboy 09-15-2002 10:51 PM

well there is still a little oil in coolant due to the timing cover. but i flushed most out. oil is good cuz i flushed it with gunk motor flush and hit it with mobil. i'll check hoses in yhe mornin to see what that does. probaly check sensors too.

thanks for the info so far:D

agressiveracing 09-23-2002 11:15 AM

damn man..
u turned ur dist all the way?
u either advanced like a mofo or retarted it to hell..
i say recheck the timing..
and see if that works..
if not come back..

rudeboy 09-23-2002 12:48 PM

yeah i think when i put the chain in then released the tensioner i accidently knocked off the timing. which really F*CKIN SUX cuz that'll mean taking the timiing cover back off to re-align all this back up. not hard after you've done it just a pain in the ass:mad:

anybody wana help? I'll buy the beer:D

agressiveracing 09-23-2002 07:06 PM

i would come to help for the free beer..
but damn.. upstate ny toooo far

rudeboy 09-26-2002 07:31 PM

too late. took off the cover and all the pulleys today, tore all that down and re-did it. pain in the ass:mad: :mad: :mad:
it got dark so there is just a few minor reassembly items to take care of: valve cover, intake trak, vacume hoses,oil/coolant.

i know most of you could care-less.
hey i think i'll start a poll