S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   NA Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/)
-   -   Lower timing chain broke..... (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/lower-timing-chain-broke-24783/)

nschultz0124 07-21-2005 08:27 PM

Lower timing chain broke.....

hey guys I found out that the lower timing chain in the 240sx that i just bought is the culprit of the car not starting. does anyone know If i can just change the chain or do you think i will need a new motor?

Nick

Cape 240 07-21-2005 08:43 PM

Ok, you don't need to make another post for this, as you brought this up in the other one.

... you should be fine, Nissan's are pretty durable, make sure nothings bent are screwed up. When you replace it, don't buy a cheap chain, and replace the water pump! :-)

nschultz0124 07-21-2005 08:46 PM

sorry I just wanted to get more people to see the problem so that I could get more feedback. Ill make sure I replace the water pump also but first I am going to check to make sure nothing is bent. The engine only has 82xxx original on it so i am hoping everything will still be good. Do you know of anyway to make sure nothing is messed up to bad with out tearing the whole this apart though? also is this something I can do with the motor in the car or does it need to be taken out?

Nick

Sieji 07-21-2005 08:57 PM

Do you know the nature as to how the chain broke... like did something lock up?

Well... ur block is cast iron... so that should be fine. Just pull the head, inspect the valves/seating/etc... cams, sprockets, lifters, springs... take to a machine shop as necessary

nschultz0124 07-21-2005 09:06 PM

all the lady that i bought it from told me was that she was driving it home and her CEL came on then the car died and never fired back up. so she had it taken to a shop and they did a compression test on it and told her she needed a new engine for it. I bought the car from her when she decided she didnt want to spend the money to fix it (quoted $1800) and the rest is history.
OK I will take the head off tomorrow night and inspect everything and possible do the timing chain reinstall on saturday/sunday. let me know if you have any other suggestions, I really do appreciate the help.

Nick

Sieji 07-22-2005 06:17 AM

If the damage on the engine is bad, like if things did lock up, which messed up ur chain, I'd suggest a new engine too. Local junks on the east coast sell em for 200-250 bucks for a KA24DE that is... or wait for a noob drifter who thinks he's the **** to *** up his 240, then grab his engine ><. (Seen it happen a couple of times; sad, but funny as hell).

Enjoy ur lego kit...

~Eji

nschultz0124 07-22-2005 06:20 AM

the engine still cranks so i dont think it is locked up but I think I know why the lower chain broke. I am pretty sure that the top chain guide snapped and that is what caused it. Ill let you know more as soon as I can get into my garage and take stuff apart.

Nick

SHIFT_Sideways 07-22-2005 01:06 PM

i don't believe your lower chain would of broke... with that many miles on the engine.. there's no way.. and timing chains don't break or snapped like timing belts.. it takes a lot more of beating the piss out of the engine to snap a timing chain... so the motor does crank but wont start.. maybe its the distubor timing, or maybe your engine is just flooded with gas, did you check the plugs and plug wires are they wet with fuel or smell like gas???

and i really think you should take it apart first before you come and say ohh the timing chain must be broken or something, and take pictures when your ready to take it apart because I just don't believe a chain would brake or snap.. my ka24de has 205k mileage on it and i beat the living the f*ck out of it everday and took it to red-line everytime and my chains didn't go.. but i did do damage to my rods. LOL:naughty:

my upper timing chain guide tho did break and fall into the oil pan but it still didn't cause my chain to break and snapp.

I also drove around for 4 months with a stuck bad timing chain tensioner and even that didn't even snap or break my chain. it's almost impossible to snap or break a chain.

nschultz0124 07-22-2005 01:17 PM

ok, this is how I came to my conclusion of the lower chain going.

took of the valve cover and saw that the top cam chain is good, however cranked motor and the cams did not turn. the only way the cams wouldn't turn, unless I am mistaken is if the lower chain is not connected to the gear. Also I have checked both the plugs and wires and they are all very old. the wires are cracking and the plugs are pretty black on the end, so I know it definately needs a tune up. but none of it smelled like gas. You should also see the oil build on the cams and valve cover itself it is absolutely disgusting. From what i am told the car has only been sitting since middle to end of may this year so it shouldn't be all gunked up. i will take some pics so that you can see what I am talking about. let me know if there might be something i am missing. Also, the shop that the car was at did a compression test on the motor before I bought the car and the motor had no compression at the time of the test.

Nick

SHIFT_Sideways 07-22-2005 01:29 PM

well i just find that hard to believe it failed a compression test if it only has like 82k mileage and if an lady was driving it and its a 1995 240SX!! nothing major is gonna be wrong with it. i hardly doubt it. it probably just needs a good tune up and the possibly the disturbor timed

nschultz0124 07-22-2005 01:33 PM

I am gonna try and get it apart this weekend and take pics so you guys can see it. Ill let you know what I find. until then let me know if you think of anything else.

Nick

SHIFT_Sideways 07-22-2005 01:42 PM

go take it apart now well no first i would just change the plugs and plug wires if the wires are cracked and if the plugs are black.. i would go and change them right now.. walk your butt to auto-zone or something and buy plug and wires. LOL

nschultz0124 07-22-2005 01:47 PM

Originally posted by SHIFT_Sideways
go take it apart now well no first i would just change the plugs and plug wires if the wires are cracked and if the plugs are black.. i would go and change them right now.. walk your butt to auto-zone or something and buy plug and wires. LOL
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am going to take it apart atleast to where I can see the lower chain. I already have the cover off and I am also going to need to clean it up because it is really nasty looking. I think I am also going to get a new crank position sensor just because I have heard that can be the culprit of bad things. my other thing is that the cams didnt turn upon cranking it with the cover off so I am pretty sure the chain is toast.

SHIFT_Sideways 07-22-2005 02:08 PM

i don't know i still find that hard to believe with 82k mileage and its a 95 and your chain is toast.

you will be the first i ever meet with a broke or snapped timing chain because like i said its almost impossible to snap or break a chain.

SHIFT_Sideways 07-22-2005 02:09 PM

or mabye when the lady had the 240 before you got it.. maybe her harmnic balancer went and its shot.. that would also cause the engine to just crank but not start.