NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

My NA project.. swap..

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 09:11 PM

My NA project.. swap..

A little old man backed into my 96 s14 and ended up totalling it. After paying it off and buying it back I ended up with about $1500.
I also have an 89 s13 with a blown e engine. I decided to swap out the de and the e. And while I have the de out.. rebuild it and add a little power.
I ordered the obx header, a 5zigen 2 3/4" exhaust, and am still shopping for a straight pipe that matches up.
I already had a Injen Intake on the de.. I am going to use it in the project.. I also have a set of 91 cams I am throwing in.
For my rebuild I am planning on a timing kit, rod and main berrings, Full gaskets, and want to go to E pistons. I have a set in the E.. I am weighing the cost of new ones vs the ones I have already and just reringing them.
I was going to do some fuel upgrades.. but I think I will wait for now as I want to save some cash for machining.. maybe a little port and polish action..

Today I drained oil, power steering, air conditioner, and coolant and I started removing the harness. Also pulled the fan shroud, fan, and radiator hoses. Disonnected the PS hoses and the Air Conditioning Hoses. Im getting close to pulling the E, just need a Cherry Picker... and to break loose the motor mount bolts and exhaust... those things are Good and Stuck!

Last edited by thekage; 04-12-2005 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:41 PM

Those motor mount bolts can be a real *****! i recently pulled a KA and we couldn't get the bolt loose on the driver side motor mount, even with a 3 foot pipe on breaker bar. It was absolutely rediculous. I ended up just drilling the bolt out, hopefully yours will come out easier. Anyways, sounds like a nice little buildup, have fun!
Old 04-15-2005, 08:39 AM

I got all the motor mount bolts except one on the passenger side.. the one furthest back and on top. Sets deep with something comming off of the tranny keeping me from getting to it even.
The exhaust bolts are what are giving me a time. I am thinking of jsut slicing it off with a torch... No reason to keep it really.. I just got my 5Zigen 2 3/4 exhaust yesterday from Jarco
Old 04-17-2005, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

if you heat the bolts they might come off or they might bust... either way they are off... and out of the way... why cut what you might be able to sell later???

and as far as the fuel system... remember you are upping the compression ratio in the motor and will need more air fuel and spark to get it all to run decent... with the higher compression ratio premium fuel is almost always needed... as in my case... a bigger fuel pump and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator would be a good idea in this situation... there is a thread going on why ka that has a lot of information... but im guessin you have looked it over already...
Old 04-23-2005, 08:59 PM

Also since you are upping the compression you might wan't to look into investing into some adjustable timing chain gears. You will want to get every lick of power out of the KA and advancing the timing gears is a good way to utilize power.
This way you can shift the power within the HP/Torque curve also.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:29 AM

Are JWT the only adjustable cam gears for the KA? and how much are they?...
Old 04-25-2005, 09:36 AM

Well I got the engine out on Saturday and posted pics...
I am going to rering my pistons from the E and use those rods.
Here is a good question*not stupid* I hope...
I have an OBX Header, I belive it is 2.5 inches at the outlet.. I have a Cat that meets up to it but my exhaust is 2.75 inches..
The gasket makes it meet up ok.. there is extra metal on the cat.. but the opening is different sized.. will it leak?
Old 04-25-2005, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by thekage
Are JWT the only adjustable cam gears for the KA? and how much are they?...
NISMO, AEM are also adjustable timing gears that you can use.
SR20de,VG30e, and KAe/de adjustable timing gears are all almost compatible depending on make and model...
AEM I believe has the cheapest ones........
SRs with cvet are not compatible with KA or VG though........ Those are usually s15 srs..........

Last edited by BigVinnie; 04-25-2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by thekage
Well I got the engine out on Saturday and posted pics...
I am going to rering my pistons from the E and use those rods.
Here is a good question*not stupid* I hope...
I have an OBX Header, I belive it is 2.5 inches at the outlet.. I have a Cat that meets up to it but my exhaust is 2.75 inches..
The gasket makes it meet up ok.. there is extra metal on the cat.. but the opening is different sized.. will it leak?
Cut the gasket ends off and weld them together.
It may leak with gaskets due to the different sizes, it would be nice if you had a pic so I can show you what to do and if it is possible to use gaskets....
In a situation like that I usually weld them together, nothin beats a weld on an exhaust system......

Last edited by BigVinnie; 04-25-2005 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:46 PM

Vinnie.. do I want 3 bolt or 5 bolt cam gears from AEM?
Old 04-25-2005, 01:07 PM

and do you have a link or a part number for the aem gears for a sr or vg? they dont list that they make anything for a nissan
Old 04-25-2005, 05:06 PM

Depends on the brand and manufacturer here is the link to project nissan with a couple of brand names.......
http://www.projectnissan.com/Product...3&Submit.x=42&
Failed to mention that some come with single timing chains and will only work for the KAe or KA24de altima and frontier models.......
I think the ones in that pic will only work for the KAe.......Let me look for another part number........ Give me a sec or 2.....

Last edited by BigVinnie; 04-25-2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:21 PM

OOPs my bad the timing chain only cam on the vge not the de, I will make the correction and find the part number for you........
Old 04-25-2005, 05:33 PM

I saw another site somewhere but I have to take off for a few hours.......
Stillen and JimWolfe sell the dual timing chain adjustable gears for the KA24de 240sx for shure......
SR intake timing gear adjustable sprockets are compatible with single row chain KAe, and DE's 240sx, altima, and the frontier.....
Old 04-27-2005, 07:46 PM

any ideas vinnie??

Quick Reply: My NA project.. swap..