NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

N/a Ca

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

N/a Ca

okay, so assume you take a rwd spec CA18det, and go N/A build with it, do you think it could get respectable numbers? because the internals are pretty nicely set up as is... just brainstorming. maybe if you ran ITB's for greater throttle response, and having the ability to rev to 8-9k rpms... it might be promising. any opinions?
Old 04-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

im sure it would, shorter sroke, better flowing head. seems like it has lots of n/a potential. but there isnt any n/a parts made for it from what ive seen. lots of custom fabbing and what not would be involved. already out of the n/a ka game? haha
Old 04-29-2007, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

well, that is still very much a possibility. but i just have thought about N/A anything, and how to get power and high rpms out of a n/a. and if you ghetto fab'ed a ITB setup, like scooters KA setup, and used the same springs/retainers as a ka (i believe they are interchangeable,) and you can get replacement parts off of the N/A ca that was sold in us of a. and i would use megasquirt, so wiring would be cake. basically apply scooters setup to a CA and see what happens.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:24 PM
Contributing Member

I don't see the point really. I don't think you would make it any more performance oriented than you would with a turbo, higher revving might be fun, but you will loose that bottom end torque. You will need alot of tuning, and alot of forged internals... which add up very quickly. I think it would be cheaper and more fun to just rebuild a ca with lower comp pistons, bearings, studs, new headgasket, and throw on a larger turbo. Would you rather spend $4000 for a motor that makes 200hp and 160ftlbs, or a $4000 motor that makes 350hp and 300ftlbs?
Old 04-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

Stop making things harder than they have to be! If you want n/a that bad just go LSx.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

meh... to expensinve. haha. but it would be awesome. (cept that its kinda... betrayal...) i dont knwo what i am going to do... KAt would be hella cheap, and get some decent nubmers. but i just think an ITB setup with high comp and a high revving engine would be so amazing... but it doenst really get impressive numbers for the amount of money you feed it.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by cronux
meh... to expensinve. haha. but it would be awesome. (cept that its kinda... betrayal...) i dont knwo what i am going to do... KAt would be hella cheap, and get some decent nubmers. but i just think an ITB setup with high comp and a high revving engine would be so amazing... but it doenst really get impressive numbers for the amount of money you feed it.
it's going to be very expensive to make an n/a motor fun. even like 150hp will be very costly on an n/a ca18(d)e
Old 04-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

thats like the only reason i woudlnt, i bet it could be a fun little engine, but it would be up towards a grand just to get the engine. now if we were to take big vinnies advice, making 200 crank hp on 1000 dollars, that would be sex, but what i dont get that if its that easy to make 200 crank hp, then how come if you are running a complete standalone like megasquirt, with itbs, high comp pistons, some new cams with ground valves and springs and retainers, and new exhaust, how come you dont make a ton of more power.?
Old 04-29-2007, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

It just gets to a point where the engine plateaus. Thats where the four extra cylinders come in handy.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Contributing Member

but i wonder if i do the same kind of things that big vin did to make 200 crank, and then throw on some itbs and run megasquirt, that would be fairly cheap, and would be 200 chp with better throttle response right?
Old 04-30-2007, 04:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by silviaks2nr
Would you rather spend $4000 for a motor that makes 200hp and 160ftlbs, or a $4000 motor that makes 350hp and 300ftlbs?
call me crazy but id take the first one. i dunno n/a is pure sex. a constant power band, amazing sound, and a simple looking engine bay with those hot *** itbs peeking out. i dont care how much money it is for n/a. i love the fact that you can make power without forced induction. no offense but most n/a guys know way more about motors and physics than a normal turbo guy, once again no offense. i dunno i think thats kinda cool, haha. n/a pride! its just what ever you want tho. if an n/a guy wants to spend 7 gs on just head work alone and a turbo guy spends 7gs on a whole front clip + goodies all that it matters is the smile you get on your face when putting it together, and getting a chance to drive it. not to mention most n/a guys dont even care about power that much, i know i dont. i want suspension and footworks more than power. balance ftw. i plan on spending like 10+g's on n/a sr and hopefully make 200+whp. totally worth it to me. haha who cares about torque when you can stay at 8-10 grand 24/7. **** i love n/a.

Last edited by MS!3; 04-30-2007 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:22 PM
Contributing Member

the point of this is....because they have an NA fetish, and have a strong desire for one. not to throw a turbo on.

Last edited by zenkislider; 05-01-2007 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

I know just as much about engines as the next n/a guy, but dude money talks. I want a built n/a motor, but its just cheaper to go turbo. BTW if you're looking for throttle response theres a little mod called the LS1 swap thats really good for throttle response.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:19 AM
Contributing Member

lame. go VQ
Old 05-01-2007, 08:58 AM

On natural Aspiration smaller displacement is an uphill losing battle when it comes to making HP numbers. It has been proven that the larger the displacement the better it is at making power against the chassis weight of the vehicle. An NA CA just sounds retarded for a 2700~2800LB chassis. Let alone the LOAD on displacement to the chassis weight would give it worse gas mileage than a N/A SR, or KA could. It would take more fuel to burn at lower RPM's just to get the damn thing going.
Thread is closed...

Last edited by BigVinnie; 05-01-2007 at 09:02 AM.