S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   NA Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/)
-   -   Opinions on KA24DE in '33 Ford (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/opinions-ka24de-33-ford-46832/)

MattODoom 03-15-2010 10:27 AM

Opinions on KA24DE in '33 Ford

Hello,

I figured this was the most appropriate sub forum as I'm wondering more about the KA24DE itself than the engine swap, but it may need to be moved.

I'd like to hear some opinions on the KA24DE in general, as I'm considering putting one in my '33 Ford hotrod. ( http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewvehicle.php?id=12888 )

This would obviously be less than desirable to most people who build rods, but that's not the point. The point is I grew up building old Fords and always wanted a 240sx. When I sold the v8 I had for the 33 I got the idea to run an Ecotec from a solstice. A 4cyl would provide plenty of power in a car that is as light as this will be, and one of my main goals for the car is to be able to cruise economically. Getting upper 20's mpg on the highway would be great while having at least 175hp. The motor has to be fuel injected because even though i love old school rods, I'm a computer engineer and this is my 'rod. I feel that this mash-up of old school hot rodding and the new generation twist would best represent myself.

So anyways, my questions I guess as they pertain to you s-chassis guys are basically:
What do you think of the KA24DE overall?
What kind of mileage are you getting with yours?
How easy is the motor to work with in terms of swapping (I.E. the Ecotec requires heavy PCM changes to even start outside of a solstice)
and overall do you think it would be a cool 'rod, or can you think of an engine that better fits the bill.

Thanks,
Matt

silviaks2nr 03-15-2010 11:31 AM

I think this is a really cool idea! Especially if you did a single cam and turbocharged or supercharged it. 175hp would require a lot of bolt ons and an upgraded ignition system for NA, but with an inexpensive forced induction setup at about 4-5psi it would be a piece of cake to reach that goal. You can definitely expect great mileage by putting a ka in such a light car. I average 25+mpg with my ka s14 and I'm putting down over 300hp to the wheels.

justgotta240 03-15-2010 12:15 PM

i think its an awesome idea plus ka24's arent that rare and if ur doing a ka24de i know a website with a full turbo kit for like 1000 bucks

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant...Category_Code=

and the same site does a ka24e turbo kit and at like 10 psi it was dynoed at like 220 i think (not sure bout that it was over 200)

silviaks2nr 03-15-2010 01:09 PM

^ don't trust that ebay garbage turbo!

USMCDrifter 03-15-2010 01:23 PM

Why a KA? Is it just one that you have lying around? If not, I wouldn't waste my money on one . . .they're not the greatest motors, but everyone on here is going to disagree with me and say I'm just starting stuff up.

If you want to put a Nissan engine in, go with something else . . .something with slightly stronger internals. If you just want an engine swap, 302s can be had for cheeeeeeeaaaappp.

MattODoom 03-15-2010 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by USMCDrifter (Post 395250)
Why a KA? Is it just one that you have lying around? If not, I wouldn't waste my money on one . . .they're not the greatest motors, but everyone on here is going to disagree with me and say I'm just starting stuff up.

If you want to put a Nissan engine in, go with something else . . .something with slightly stronger internals. If you just want an engine swap, 302s can be had for cheeeeeeeaaaappp.

No reason for the KA other than I already had knowledge of them and theyre one of a few RWD 4cyls that I could think of. 302's are cheap, I had one in the truck up to this point but I sold it because im not a SBF fan, if im going with old american iron itll be a SBC (unless you meant the chevy 302, but I doubt it).

USMCDrifter 03-15-2010 07:45 PM

I don't want you to think I was knocking your idea. I just wanted to put up an opinion that shows both sides of the fence, so to speak. Reality seems to be, at least from my experiences, that unless you go back in an rebuild (or build up) the internals of a KA that it's not going to do much for you outside of rodknock than grenade.

You mentioned that you know KAs, well then my friend, I say go for it. If you know that engine, make it happen just make sure you keep us updated as to your progress :)

PS: I agree completely . . . SPC>SPF, it's why TVR uses them ;)

MattODoom 03-15-2010 08:01 PM

I should clarify, when I said I had knowledge of the KA i just meant the stuff Ive learned from hanging around this site and looking for 240's years ago. I was hoping to get some real feedback on the motors from this thread and therefore appreciate your input about needing to be built.

It was my understanding to this point that the KA24DE was a hardy motor. I was considering it based on the fact that it was cheap, readily available, natively RWD, modest in power and had a strong aftermarket. The Ecotec series would be ideal, but the prices are an order of magnitude greater than anything to do with KA's.

djsilver 03-16-2010 01:52 AM

For a KA24E or KA24DE all you'd need is the injector harness, ecu, an electric fuel pump of some sort and a few relays to replace the ones for the system power and fuel pump power in the engine bay harness (that you definately don't want to transfer in to the hot rod). You can jumper out the minor stuff like the clutch safety switch/relay. My personal opinion is that the valve cover on the SOHC motor looks more old-skool than the DE motor. You could event do a wire tuck on the injector harness, or make a retro looking cover. You can even find a carb conversion for it if you look hard enough....,

jramosthe1st! 03-16-2010 03:11 PM

i'm gonna have to agree with dave about the ka not being a good idea but not for the same reason. i personally think the ka is a great engine, but to put it in a '33 ford is borderline blasphemous. it's one thing to put a v8 chey engine into a 240 but quite another to put a nissan engine into something like a '33 ford.

i can't see you getting much support from the ford crowd either. if there is one thing that i've learned about the domestic crowd, it's that they are stubborn beyond belief. i know a few who would laugh in your face for even suggesting the idea of defiling a project such as yours by using that, "jap crap" as they call it.

it's your money and all so ultimately what you decide to go with is your call, but since you asked for an opinion i stated mine.

MattODoom 03-16-2010 03:26 PM

I understand. Believe me I'm not trying to rice up my rod, I just want something that'll be fun and fuel efficient. I could care less about what other rodders would think of the car, they can do whatever they want to their car, thats the point of rodding.

Funny thing is, half those grumpy old car guys wouldn't be half as phased if it was a GM 4cyl, as if it made a difference.