NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

power loss

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 02:42 AM

Angry power loss

hey you guys. My s13 ka24de has a huge loss of power. The car as a hard time revving past 4k in all gears. Drove a friends s13 and it hadabout double the power. check or replaced the fallowing:
aiv
fuel pressure
fuel filter
clogged cat
battery chassis ground
air intake tracking and maf
vacum leaks
ignition timing plugs wires
fuel injection cleaner seafoam
throttle cable

that is about it. If anybody has any idea i would love to hear it. let me know!
Old 12-05-2003, 03:51 PM

i got the same problem man!
Old 12-07-2003, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

first off, check ecu for codes.

i'll list all IO can think of off the top of my head. sorry if I put something you posted, i'm just listing these all

AIV system messed up, just remove it.
clean your mafs
take carb cleaner to your throttle body
how old are your plugs & wires?
timing could be off
injectors leaking
burning ol a all?

Dr.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:03 PM

so if the problem is the AIV.. just unbolt it and take the whole thing out? and the car would run ok, gasmileage same? thanks.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

yeah. The only reason the AIV was put there was to help warm up the cat, helping with emissions a tad. Check the forums @ **********, they have a decent walthrough on removing it, it's not under the FAQ's, it's in general or technical, technical if I recall correctly. There is no down side fvrom what i've seen and is a noticeable difference.

Dr.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:33 AM

disconnected the aiv and it didnt do anything. i do have a code for a knock sensor that just came up. with that do it?
Old 12-11-2003, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by gotboost
disconnected the aiv and it didnt do anything. i do have a code for a knock sensor that just came up. with that do it?
That's a definite sign sir. Is there any black smokish coming out of the tailpipe? Do you smell fuel when the engine is idling? I'm thinking maybe your timing is off, or the fuel mixture isn't quite right - but none the less, major power loss means that something is definitely off spec

Just remembered, check your ignition too. I had a bad spark wire when I bought my car and I had similar symptoms... mine's an S14 but you might wanna add that to your checklist.

Last edited by l2aine; 12-11-2003 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:42 PM

hey raine,
are you talking about mechanical timing or ignition timing. i have checked the igition timing twice. I also do not smell any gas or blow black smoke. The car runs perfect just has no power. My compression was at 210psi in all four! but after i got some "seafoam" and got it down to around 185psi. ill check the timing again but maybe a little more thorough. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:13 PM
Contributing Member

wow, thats hella high, isnt stock compression like 159 160 ? your compression is hella high, try using higher grade gas?
Old 12-11-2003, 11:32 PM

no i dont need a higher gas grade. see i have no power due to lack of fuel or a/f mixture. that is the reason i am getting more compression. because fuel isnt burning up and it is leaving carbon build up in my combustion chamber.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by gotboost
no i dont need a higher gas grade. see i have no power due to lack of fuel or a/f mixture. that is the reason i am getting more compression. because fuel isnt burning up and it is leaving carbon build up in my combustion chamber.
My mistake, I was referring to ignition wires but I see you had that listed in the 1st post...

... "not getting enough fuel" as you said: so you're telling me it's running lean? but then "fuel isn't burning up" is telling me it's running rich. And if fuel isn't burning up then it would dump out into the exhaust, which would = gas smell, but you said there is no gas smell...

hmmm... where's your temp gauge at when you're driving? Is it higher than half? Normal?

this one's a weird one...
Old 12-19-2003, 12:56 AM

very confused for sure. do you know if the ecu will cut power because of a faulty knock sensor? i know 300zx's do it but i dont know about 240's. engine temp has always been cool. just below half. i have talked to many mechanics and they are stumped. just dont want to leave the car with them and spend a whole buch of money. let me know if you can think of anything.
thanks
Old 12-25-2003, 10:17 PM

Get a turbo kit,,, that should get your power back!

nah jk

If your knock sensor is bad, then it might be telling the computer that you are getting a lot of knock, and the computer would respong by retarding the timing, that would make you lose a lot of power,,,

did you take the plastic sheet off your air filter when you replaced that?

maybe you need new muffler bearings?

hehe,,, you got me stumped
Old 12-27-2003, 11:56 PM

you know you probably got a ton of carbon build up... i recommend using ONLY chevron gas and if you can't get to a chevron station, get the chevron gas treatment cleaner stuff, it will fix the problem... i always notice a different when i use chevron gas as opposed to exxon or something... so give that a shot, once the carbon build up is gone the compression should go back down...
Old 12-29-2003, 01:03 AM

ok you guys just lost to a old neon auto! that is how much power i have lost. replacing knock sensor this week

Quick Reply: power loss