S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   NA Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/)
-   -   question about exhaust and cat.... (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/question-about-exhaust-cat-46410/)

1991se240sx 10-02-2009 12:36 PM

question about exhaust and cat....

1 Attachment(s)
my cat is junk. just no good at all. Its cloggd and the bolt holes that hold the heat shield on have rotted out into 1/2" big rot holes. Just got a new as shyt OEM cat back exhaust from the j-yard for $7. It was a 9 out of 10. seriously...nice as hell for a stock exhaust. So i was lookin at gettin a replacment....$100. No. Then i looked at some ebay test pipes and was told that most test pipes are 3" and wont work with my exhaust. So then i hit up ebvay again and put in 1991 240SX catalytic converter. It brought up a couple Hi-Flow cats. Will these work at all?? Dont have $100 to drop on a new cat. Hi-Flo cat was only $30(w/ shipping included). Any help with this will be greatly appriciated. Thanx fellas

Nickmerrone 10-02-2009 12:48 PM

is it the same piping?

1991se240sx 10-02-2009 01:05 PM

is what the same piping??? the one in the pic is jus a OEM exhaust off a 91 HB. the hi flo cat on ebay doesnt say jack shyt bout anything. No pipe sizes or anything along them lines

Nickmerrone 10-02-2009 01:12 PM

oh, well make sure you order the same diameter piping..also can you please refrain from using "shyt" its avoiding the swear filters, they are here for a reason.

jramosthe1st! 10-02-2009 04:37 PM

the piping maybe a different but the flanges are the same size, if you are a strict observer of the principles of exhaust theory you'll get a cat with the same inner diameter of the rest of your exhaust to avoid turbulence. most people don't know or care about that though and just go with what's bigger becuase in their mind bigger is always better.

1991se240sx 10-02-2009 05:32 PM

im just tryin to get somthin that works. Kno what im sayin?? and is gona be sort of problem free in the end. I plan on gettin a cat-back within the next 3or4 weeks . So i want to be able to use somethin now and later. So what are you sayin big JR, go with the hi flo....or test pipe??? or what.....im all ears brotha. Jus wana do it the right way......

hatrick6 10-04-2009 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by 1991se240sx (Post 391513)
im just tryin to get somthin that works. Kno what im sayin?? and is gona be sort of problem free in the end. I plan on gettin a cat-back within the next 3or4 weeks . So i want to be able to use somethin now and later. So what are you sayin big JR, go with the hi flo....or test pipe??? or what.....im all ears brotha. Jus wana do it the right way......

Go with the Hi-flow, there is no reason to pollute our planet so your car can make an extra 1 hp. (and obviously you won't pass emissions with a test pipe)

FuriousZ 10-05-2009 08:19 AM

all of the "universal" high flow cats your going to need to have them welded.

RickY

Lord Umoja 10-05-2009 09:25 AM

I have an OEM cat on my garage floor. PM me if you want it, light rust. Check my build thread.