S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   NA Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/)
-   -   question about ka-de (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/question-about-ka-de-45973/)

1991se240sx 05-28-2009 06:06 PM

question about ka-de

well, i was looking in a few old magazine stacks (super streets from over 3 -4, and a few 5 years old) and saw this Datsun 510 w/ a KADE swapped in it. Shyt looked sweet.....but what i noticed is why im here......so here it goes. At the front of the valve cover, opposite side of the oil cap....there is a big rubber hose that goes to the intake (if im not mistaken), but this particular 510 had a little air breather/filter there. It was jus attached to his valve cover in place of the big hunky rubber hose. i was told that you have to run some EMS system for that to work???? all i know is, that 510 looked clean and i want the look, jus didnt think a EMS system would be needed for that.
anything will help guys, thanx

JapanS15 05-28-2009 07:05 PM

No, you don't need EMS for disconnecting a hose and replacing it with its own filter. I had a Turbo'd RSX Type-S that I did the very exact thing. If you have a hole in your intake where the hose attaches, you'll need to cap that off though.

fadedsilvia 05-28-2009 09:44 PM

yea i belive thats just a breather
cap off the hole in the intake an put a filter on the valve cover
whateveru do dont cap it off, it needs to breath, also it is very possible that oil will seep from that filter, if you take that hose off an look in it there will prolly be some oil in it

1991se240sx 05-29-2009 05:50 AM

i assume you can get that breather/filter from pep boys,auto zone, etc. What would be my best thing to use to cap off the intake??? i jus bout a Injen intake,MAF, and filter unit.

fadedsilvia 05-29-2009 08:43 AM

a rubber cap of sum sorts, nething that will seal it and not get sucked into the intake

and yea at most auto stores you can prolly find sumthin and there relatively cheap

1991se240sx 05-30-2009 06:55 AM

well heres the low down....i jus picked up a complete Injen intake system w/ couplers, clamps and erything for jus $40. Was on my buddys s14 KAde and it is next to mint condition. So, i was putting it on yesterday....and made some pretty nasty realizations-the s13 KAde isnt the same as the s14 KAde. the s13 looks likke it had a bit more hoses goin on for it. Anywho, we bypassed and got passed all the hoses except for the breather hose on the valve cover. Surely enough, i went out and piked up one of those breather filters and rigged up a 1" piece of rubber to join it to the valve cover. Finally its all buttoned up and i must say....i am impressed with my $45 engine bay make over. Also, i wasnt aware of the effects of a real intake systtem. Maybe its a mental thing, but my coupe seems so much quiker now...and awwwww-the sound of the engine, OMG!!!!!!!! it sounds so damn good. It sounds like some real import balls. all in all, thanx for the info and what not i needed on the breather filters. its people like yall that are helping me get my baby to where she needs to be. Again, i thank yall. Pics of my engine bay will deff be coming soon ( red valve cover, Injen intake, breather filters, gray primered engine bay w/ a few red accents(radiator tie downs, strut bolt covers, etc.) Maybe next im gone look into the AVI removal or even do some wire hiding and tucking. Speaking of which....AVI removal-any thing id be hurting by removing it??? thanx guys

240smoke 05-30-2009 07:55 AM

Its prob a mental thing. It does sound a hell of alot better with a cone filter than the box filter.

JapanS15 05-31-2009 04:46 PM

I don't know if its a mental thing or not...I could tell a difference when I swapped intakes on my 350Z. Car was more responsive and the sound was definitely more aggressive! Glad we could brighten your day! Don't stop there...keep modding!

EBE23 06-08-2009 05:24 PM

my aem air intake kit was supposed to give me a lil over 10 horsepower that i installed and i felt a pretty good difference in power for being my 1st real mod. better throttle response, better gas milege if you drive easy, but who does that! =) and of course that mean sound

Biggamehit 06-09-2009 12:28 AM

sorry buddy, they don't do that much.... especially to a KA, they have breathing issues do to head and intake designs. you must do other things such as remove secondary butter flies if you have them on your manifold. any thing mid 95 and up doesnt.

after that, i noticed a bit of a jump but nothing spectacular.

EBE23 06-09-2009 10:16 AM

i have a 91 s13 now a newer s14, and yes it did make that much of a difference, the intake kit got rid of like 3 breather hoses. check it out aempower.com or even knfilters.com

Biggamehit 06-09-2009 05:42 PM

.......... ill take your word for it.... didn't make a difference to me until i removed my emissions. Turbo makes a BIG difference though lol.

JapanS15 06-09-2009 07:32 PM

^that's the power mod I plan on doing!

Biggamehit 06-10-2009 01:45 PM

yea .... im not trying to rain on a parade EB.. but it's not a significant boost to me. yes its better than a stock air box to a point, but its not much.. the KA head design is not the best. in stock form.

EBE23 06-11-2009 01:20 PM

lol well ya in reference to a turbo ya an air intake kits got nothin on it, but not bad power for that intake kit does. i have federal emissions on mine if that makes any difference