S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   NA Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/)
-   -   question about noise..... (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/question-about-noise-45503/)

1991se240sx 03-06-2009 06:06 PM

question about noise.....

please...bare wit me on this one guys....recently aquired my first 240 and its really awesome...but after it idles for about 5minutes....it starts makn a noise under the valve cover right near the oil cap(. Sounds like a marble rolling around...not really-but quite similar. What could that be? im new to DOHC motors at that.....im a previous owner of a pushrod 60degree v6 engine(Pontiac Grand Am GT) never had any experience with DOHC motors.....please help. Thnx guys

FuriousZ 03-06-2009 06:48 PM

That is very simple. maybe.
All of us as 240 owners know of this.
It is probably one of the first things we all ask/search.
It is the timing chain guide that hits the timing chain.
It is removable, it is not needed.
There are two that you can remove Top and a lower one.

Search:
Timing chain guide removal.

its EVERYWHERE!

1991se240sx 03-06-2009 07:14 PM

kool man....thank u so much. Is it somthin i can leav alone for now? will it cause anything catastrophic?? i appriciate the dogshyt out of it man

1991se240sx 03-06-2009 09:15 PM

well....i checked it out in the search spot. Read the thread and it was very damn helpful....few questions tho....can this be done with the engine still in the car? and it may sound like a retarded question, but how do you set TDC??? do i have to remove them both?? thanx

shaban 03-06-2009 10:24 PM

Yes it can be done while the engine is in the car, just pop off the head.

battosaii930 03-07-2009 12:41 AM

LOL Alex not the head thats a very complicated process on a Over Head cam motor just pull the valve cover should be a bunch of 10mm bolts the one that usually makes the most noise is the one under the valve cover its easy to do.

pull off valve cover and you will probably see it there sitting right on the timing chain broken. no need to put it on TDC or pull anything important apart. also keep in mind your car is old so you may break the valve cover gasket when you take it off but a new one from nissan is like $16

1991se240sx 03-07-2009 12:49 AM

awesome...just down right fuh-king awesome. Thanx alot yall. U really jus saved that car from being sold. I thought it was somthing much more serious and was gonna turn around and put my attention into my 275 naturally aspirated horsepowered 1995 Pontiac Grand Am GT coupe.......again...thanx guys

shaban 03-07-2009 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by battosaii930 (Post 382894)
LOL Alex not the head thats a very complicated process on a Over Head cam motor just pull the valve cover should be a bunch of 10mm bolts the one that usually makes the most noise is the one under the valve cover its easy to do.

pull off valve cover and you will probably see it there sitting right on the timing chain broken. no need to put it on TDC or pull anything important apart. also keep in mind your car is old so you may break the valve cover gasket when you take it off but a new one from nissan is like $16

... that's what I meant.

240smoke 03-07-2009 11:28 PM

HAHA, you just said pop the head off. HAHA. Not the cover. Thats awesome.