S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   NA Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/)
-   -   Recommend a QUIET Muffler please. (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/recommend-quiet-muffler-please-10472/)

240sxFan 03-02-2004 06:53 PM

Recommend a QUIET Muffler please.

I got a 5ZIgen FIreball in my 1995 s14. It was great until i added headers, incredibly loud now! I know I'll get pulled over if I keep it going. I'm looking for a good Silent muffler with good air FLow. I was looking at the Flowmaster Series 60. Please tell me of some good ones, the quieter the better, as long as it has good flow, I don't want a Straight thru design anymore. THX!:)

tommyboy 03-02-2004 06:57 PM

I dont know if these are queit or not, but are some you can check out: HKS, Blitz, GReddy, A'pexi, Tanabe. I have heard that HKS makes some nice exhausts, but are kinda pricey. Do you have the silencer in the exhaust? That could quiet it down alot.

240sxFan 03-02-2004 06:59 PM

Yeah, I added the silencer it's still too freaking loud! lol. At idle it sounds SOOOOOOoooooooo Sweet, VEry bassy and rumbles nicely, but once I step on it, Forget it! lol it screams like a cat! lol.

tommyboy 03-02-2004 07:07 PM

My friend has the A'pexi N1 dual cat-back. I dont recommend it, but man is it loud even with the silencers. We took out the silencers, and it hurt my ears in the car!!! GReddy makes a nice sounding exhaust, think it is the EVO or something. Good flow and quiet.

-HyJynX- 03-02-2004 08:15 PM

Stock exhaust...thats all I can recommend. There really isnt a quite after market exhaust, possibly the HKS might be the quietest

skatanic28 03-02-2004 09:48 PM

your best bet would be to get a baffled muffler or a hi-flow baffled muffler and put it where the canister(s) are. im going through the same thing right now.....really no way a canister can be quiet.

240sxFan 03-02-2004 11:14 PM

I don't mean that i want a dead silent muffler. I just want somethign that will tame my exhaust right now, it can be loud some, that's ok, but not ear shattering like what I have now. lol As long as it gets rid of the "grainny-Cat squealing" is 100% fine with me.:thumb:

Ps. Would a Resonator help me resolve my problem? WHat about if I add a resoantor and quieter muffler?

-HyJynX- 03-03-2004 12:00 AM

I was going to say that, Add a Resonator and it will quite down dramatically

240sxFan 03-03-2004 06:03 PM

Thx Jinxy! I was looking for some resonators online, but I can't find any! It gives me other things related to music and stuff. Any of you have any links to any? I know Magnaflow sells some, but who else? Again, thx for all your help everyone!:wave:

-HyJynX- 03-03-2004 07:21 PM

I would go to a exhaust shop and they can add one for you

95_240SXSE 03-03-2004 08:30 PM

Greddy claims that all their exhausts comply with the 92dB "law" but that is probably not with afm headers.

240sxFan 03-03-2004 10:19 PM

Yeah, I don't think any muffler alone will quiet down my exhaust, LOL. I added the silencer and it's still freaking loud! I'm always looking around for cops now. I'm going to add a resonator and a flowmaster Series 60Delta Muffler, that should tame the b1tch, if not, then i'll add another resonator, lol. I don't want it dead quiet, just not soo hugely ear pircing loud! I scared the Be-Jesus out of my coworkers with it today though... :naughty:

Driftmonster 03-04-2004 12:28 AM

I Have an RS-R system on my car from the catback, with an aftermarket header and a catylic conv. it sounds awesome without the silencer, with the silencer you would have no clue I was there! I have an SR20det BTW.

Driftmonster

http://www.geocities.com/wardog5811/SR20det.html

dkdeleon 03-04-2004 09:43 AM

Ractive makes a very good and sweet sounding muffler.
I'v got hot shot hedders and a ractive and it sounds low and tough

240sxFan 03-04-2004 05:56 PM

Is a resonator the same thing as a glass pack? I called my muffler shop and the guy who answered didn't know what I was talking about, so I told him that I wanted to reduce the sound, and he said: "Oh! We can add a GLass Pack then." Are they both the same thing?:dunno: