S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   NA Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/)
-   -   running rich, 3/4 plugs carbon fouled (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/running-rich-3-4-plugs-carbon-fouled-9063/)

pezdespencer 01-19-2004 10:46 AM

running rich, 3/4 plugs carbon fouled

My 1993 240SX won't pass the emissions test. I replaced the spark plugs, and #1 was fine but the other three were sooty black. I though maybe the O2 sensor needed to be replaced again. (Last year's emissions test looked identical, and after replacing the O2 sensor it passed). The sensor is also covered in black soot. A voltmeter reading shows the O2 sensor is working properly, but also shows that the car runs rich in idle. I figure the real problem is the rich mixture, and that 3 fouled plugs and 1 normal plug is a clue. What is the problem? Has anyone had something similar?

drnovascotia 01-20-2004 09:15 AM

Yy manual says that means you are running rich or having weak ignition. Says to make sure the plug has the right heat range, check for clogged air filter or fuel system or engine management system. Also check for ignition problems.
Sooo, clean your mafs, throttle body, injectors, fuel filter, etc.
Ever try seafoam? worked well for my car.

As well, there is stuff you can buy at the auto store to help your car pass emissions.

Dr.

pezdespencer 01-20-2004 09:49 AM

Thanks

Right now I'm running Guaranteed to Pass through on this tank of gas. My puzzle is why plug #1 was clean and the other three were fouled. I thought maybe the fuel injector(s) on the first cylinder is/are plugged, and the computer is trying to compensate causing the other three to be too rich. Anyone got any ideas?

-HyJynX- 01-20-2004 10:40 AM

Lots of carbon deposit in your engine possibly? Try running some seafoam threw there and it should clean most of it out.

drnovascotia 01-20-2004 10:45 AM

brilliant idea hyjnx, wish I had said that

lol.

Dr.

-HyJynX- 01-20-2004 11:22 AM

sarcastic doc? lol

drnovascotia 01-21-2004 11:33 AM

yeah, lol. I was like seafoam is a good idea, great suggestion bud, then I was like. . wait a minute, I told him that too!

Dr.

-HyJynX- 01-21-2004 11:45 AM

....lol:dunno:

Sil40_Mayhem 01-21-2004 12:03 PM

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
....lol:dunno:
here:

Doc's post:

Originally posted by drnovascotia
Yy manual says that means you are running rich or having weak ignition. Says to make sure the plug has the right heat range, check for clogged air filter or fuel system or engine management system. Also check for ignition problems.
Sooo, clean your mafs, throttle body, injectors, fuel filter, etc.
Ever try seafoam? worked well for my car.

As well, there is stuff you can buy at the auto store to help your car pass emissions.

Dr.

now ur post (two posts later):

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
Lots of carbon deposit in your engine possibly? Try running some seafoam threw there and it should clean most of it out.
;)

-HyJynX- 01-21-2004 12:04 PM

we are just hijacking the thread...doesnt this always happen lol

Sil40_Mayhem 01-21-2004 12:12 PM

soooooooo, would that make us the "Pirates of the Message Board"?:dunno: lol

-HyJynX- 01-21-2004 12:20 PM

:laugh: Arrrrrrr! lol...pirates and whores? haha

drnovascotia 01-21-2004 09:26 PM

great, you're both a bunch of loose pirates.

Think his questions has been answered, anything else ?

Dr.

-HyJynX- 01-21-2004 10:26 PM

lets wait till he responds...

pezdespencer 01-22-2004 12:22 AM

a bit to rich for my taste

Yeah, I've got the cleanup down. Even if I clear up all the deposits, it's still running rich. WHY? Again, I think the best clue without any trouble codes is that there was one plug that wasn't fouled. Anybody had a problem like this?