NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

S14 Apexi N1 exhaust fitment problems.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 08:46 PM

Angry S14 Apexi N1 exhaust fitment problems.......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought my Apexi N1 3 months ago. I installed it myself and everything was good for about 2 weeks.

I got to my friends shop and decide to put my car on the lift and check things out for the hell of it. I noticed that the resonator was touching the driveshaft.So I remove the exhaust and then re attach it. It helped a bit but the resonator was still prettly close to the driveshaft.

I return to the shop to get my Kaaz 2 way installed and again that I noticed that there was still an issue between the resonator and driveshaft touching.Now there are grooves in my driveshaft. We install the the 2 way and break it in. Still the problem exists. I decided to heat up the exhaust hangers w/ a torch and adjust them a bit. This proved to be ok because I created a 1/2 gap by manipulating the hangers. Next, I bring the car to a body shop and put it on a frame rack and the frame was straight. I thought maybe a bent frame could be throwing off the alignment of the exhaust. All fine and dandy.

So now life is great and I'm having my fun w/ the 2 way. This happiness ends. I hear a rattling sound coming from the exhaust. I look and investigate but couldn't find the problem. I decide to go to Mineke mufflers and it turns out that my muffler is shot!

I bought this system from Heavy Throttle. I called them and spoke to Jeff. We had a great conversation I told about each of the problems I had since I bought it from him and he would not understand that I paid $450 for this POS exhaust and I deserved better service. Obviously he didn't give a **** because he already had my money.

Now I decide to call Apexi. I called them and speak to Wen. I explained to him in detail whats going on. He tells me since I altered the hangars that the warranty is void He told me if I send the exhaust to him that he would test fit it on another 240. I told him that great but now the Exhaust can is blown and rattling. By this time my blood is boiling and I can't believe that I spent $450 on an exhaust and it didn't fit and it's now broken after 3 months! He was acting like a douche and that was that.

Now, I go to a 240 meet and I meet this guy w/ a '95 S14 just like mine. After talking with him he tells me that he has the Apexi N1. I could not help going into my rant about my problems with my N1. Turns out that he had the same exact fitment problem as I did. The resonator was hitting the driveshaft.
He also had to heat up and bend the exhaust hangers to get it to fit correct.
This confirmed that my car was not messed up

Now I'm in the market for a new exaust.I like the Apexi GT spec but I am afraid to buy another Apexi exhaust due to fitment issues.

Has anyone experienced this problem or have heard about anything like this before?

I'm thinking of just buying a universal N1 can and putting that on. I dunno, I feel like this really sucks. Maybe I will just go w/ a different manufacturer this time.

Later,Joe
Old 04-27-2004, 10:13 PM

damn, No one has ever had a fitment problem or knows anyone how has? I feel so alone.....youv'e changed!
Old 04-28-2004, 01:14 AM

Sorry dude. I don't have and S14 or an aftermarket exhaust. That really sucks about your story though. Did you not notice it hitting the driveshaft when you first installed it?
Old 04-28-2004, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

Never heard of a problem like this before....sorry to hear that
Old 04-28-2004, 11:20 AM

When I stalled the exhaust it was at 10pm and I did it w/ a flashlight. I mean an install really can get any easier. I didn't notice anything and when i took it for a ride right after that it seemed to be ok..oh well time for a new can.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:09 PM

I was actually really considering the Apexi N1 ...Do you think that this problem could be avoided if the exhaust was professionally installed?? I have a 97 Kouki so do you think that would make a difference on the clearence between the resonator and the driveshaft??
Old 05-12-2004, 03:15 AM

Bro, I installed it professionally. I have installed many exhausts w/ friends and at the shop I hang out in. It's not the installer, it's the hardware. Plus the Apexi guy said and I quote

"Apexi exhausts should only be installed with hand tools not with an air compressed tool"

What a load bull**** that is. Anyways, I DID IN FACT USE MY OWN HAND TOOLS! Thats exactly how I put the exhaust on. Have you ever heard of a bigger load than that? Like if you bring your car to a shop their not supposed to use the air gun. OMFG I'm getting pissed just thinking about what that tool told me.

My man, don't buy the Apexi. Buy from someone else. HKS has a nice one among others. Do some checking around, I'm sure you can a better cat back.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:42 PM

i installed my GT spec last weekend....mine seems to be running fine... imma go under my car next week and make sure