S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   NA Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/)
-   -   Stale gas, what to do? (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/stale-gas-what-do-28664/)

servo09 12-03-2005 10:24 AM

Stale gas, what to do?

Yes well, I finally got my engine and drivetrain into a new shell, and the @##@% won't start. Getting fuel and spark- no problem.

Seems the gas in the tank has been sitting there for who knows how long, and I am assuming this is why it won't start.

I'm going to syphon out the tank, and refill, anyone know if this should do it, or if there are other steps that need to be taken after this?

God 12-03-2005 11:04 AM

I'd say just add new gas, and keep running it. I wouldn't completely run it out of gas though, because it will probably suck in all the junk at the bottom of the gas tank, and clog your fuel filter.

LA_phantom_240 12-03-2005 11:17 AM

Well, if your 240 is anything like mine was, the gas isnt the problem. The tank of gas that is in my 240 right now is about 4 years old and it runs great, suprisingly. Id say there's another problem... there may be a clog, or a bad fuel filter or what not. In any case, I'd say get a can of seadfoam and pour it into the gas tank, either after you refill the tank if you siphon it out, or as the gas sits... it will help clear out any gunk in there. let us know how it goes.

nsn240 12-03-2005 12:03 PM

yea, its not the stale gas... after sitting for a very, very long time... it started fine. But put new gas in asap

servo09 12-03-2005 12:45 PM

Turns out I couldn't syphon it anyway. 3 feet of hose into the tank, and it's not even wet. Added 2 gallons of fresh gas and a iddy bit of techron, and it still won't start.

Checked the fuel lines agian, and it's getting gas above the filter, so it's not a clog in the line. I guess it's time to tear apart the fuel rail agian and see if it's making it to the injectors.

If that dosen't work, I suppose I should reset the timing, but I'm pretty sure that's not it. Only other thing I can think of would be a vacume hose in the back behind the valve cover seems to have suddenly gone missing.

Any vacume leak back there that would keep the engine from starting?

Cape 240 12-03-2005 06:06 PM

no, that hose is just for EGR pruposes, not neccasary. However, good luck on emmissions if your leaking that vacuum back there.

Thats my issue right now.

dak2007 12-04-2005 07:45 AM

you know i'm not a car expert by no means but when was the last time that fuel filter was changed.

Roastem 12-05-2005 04:11 AM

no offense man but just because you have fuel at the rail doesnt mean it is gettin into the engine. yes find out if the injectors are firing. you can use a noid light or a test light or pull the rail and see if you have fuel.

if you dont then you need to find your spark controller... (cam sensor or crank sensor) and find the bad one. Or the bad wire coming from one.