S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   NA Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/)
-   -   Starting Problem when warm - Fuel Starvation? (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/starting-problem-when-warm-fuel-starvation-45446/)

RS250 Chester 02-24-2009 06:36 PM

Starting Problem when warm - Fuel Starvation?

I'm having an issue starting the car when warm. When its cold, it starts with no problems, but once its warm and has sat for 20-30 minutes, it has difficulty starting or won't start at all. When it has difficulty starting, it cranks fine and starts but quickly the RPM's drop and starts to sputter. Sometimes I can step on the gas in time and the RPM's will pick up and all is fine. If it stalls or doesn't start, it won't start again until I remove the gas cap.

I assume either the system isn't venting or the pump is going bad. What do you guys think.

jramosthe1st! 02-24-2009 06:49 PM

what year and engine are we talking about here?

240smoke 02-24-2009 07:19 PM

Just a thought, maybe your lower o-rings on your injectors are bad and are spraying excess fuel into your manifold and flooding the motor.

RS250 Chester 02-24-2009 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st! (Post 381759)
what year and engine are we talking about here?

It's a 90 S13 SOHC

RS250 Chester 02-24-2009 08:10 PM

To add a little more background.

About 2 weeks ago, my upper radiator hose cracked. I don't know how long that went on for, as the car never overheated. I finally discovered it when I heard a hissing noise coming from the engine when the motor was warm. When I went to diagnose the problem (not knowing it was the hose yet), the car was idling fine, but when I stepped on the gas, the RPM's would drop and it would hesitate.

I fixed the hose, but the hesitation problem was still there. I used Sea Foam in the gas, but that didn't help. At this point, I was now having problems starting the car when warm. I changed the cap/rotor, but that didn't help. I removed the plugs and cleaned them, but that didn't help.

The car runs great when is up to speed, but there's the slight hesitation when engaging into first and the problem when starting when the car is warm.

I do need to replace the valve seals, as I'm getting the white smoke on start.

jramosthe1st! 02-24-2009 08:29 PM

when you replaced the hose did you add coolant and bleed the air out? it sounds to me like there may be some air trapped causing you're coolant temp sensor to send wrong info to the ecu which would cause this problem.

Nickmerrone 02-24-2009 08:31 PM

I think its too warm. Move to alaska. Probably help your problem..

hahahahah just messing.
Not sure..sorry.

240smoke 02-24-2009 08:39 PM

Turbo charge it. That will fix all your problems.

jramosthe1st! 02-24-2009 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Nickmerrone (Post 381797)
I think its too warm. Move to alaska. Probably help your problem..
hahahahah just messing.
Not sure..sorry.

Originally Posted by 240smoke (Post 381801)
Turbo charge it. That will fix all your problems.

you two must be lost this is for technical discussions. the off topic is in the opposite direction. no run off and play while the adults use talk about grown up things.

240smoke 02-24-2009 08:45 PM

Just a thought, maybe your lower o-rings on your injectors are bad and are spraying excess fuel into your manifold and flooding the motor.
I already put in my 2 cents.

RS250 Chester 02-24-2009 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st! (Post 381795)
when you replaced the hose did you add coolant and bleed the air out? it sounds to me like there may be some air trapped causing you're coolant temp sensor to send wrong info to the ecu which would cause this problem.

No, not at that moment. I actually forgot to bleed the thing. I drove it around the block and everything was ok, then drove it about 3 miles and when I got to my destination, I noticed that the temperature gauge was reading higher than normal. I opened the hood and opened the overflow and some air pressure released. When i went to drive it again, the temperature was back to normal and has not increased since. I've had to top it off once.

Is there an air bleed screw or is it one of those things I run the engine with the radiator cap off.

jramosthe1st! 02-24-2009 08:52 PM

there is a bleeder bolt next to the temp sensors on the intake manifold. it has a 10mm hex head, bleed it and hope for the best.

RS250 Chester 02-24-2009 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by 240smoke (Post 381762)

I thought it could be flooding too, but I pulled the plugs once after it failed to start, but the plugs were dry.

RS250 Chester 02-24-2009 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st! (Post 381808)
there is a bleeder bolt next to the temp sensors on the intake manifold. it has a 10mm hex head, bleed it and hope for the best.

Thanks, I'll try it out tomorrow and I'll check my codes.

240smoke 02-24-2009 09:50 PM

Hmm... disreguard anything I said... HAHA