S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   NA Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/)
-   -   timing chain replacement help (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/timing-chain-replacement-help-43393/)

Darkvillin 03-26-2008 10:30 PM

timing chain replacement help

im in the middle of tearing down the front of the motor on my newly purchased 93 koop. any suggestions on the whole procedure would be greatly appreciated. ive taken some pics. im mainly concerned with how i can tell for sure that the motor is in tdc on the compression stroke in cyl. 1. also any suggestions on how to pull this main pulley off without turning the crankshaft would be great. so far all i can think of is to put a wrench on the camshaft so it locks it in place while im turning the bolt on the crankshaft pulley. i have it in gear and the whole motor will still turn. like i said, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as im gonna try like hell to finish this project within the next couple of days, work permitting. ill try to get these pics up in a lil bit. im at my neighbor's house. also, if this is the wrong place to post, im sorry. lol. thanks in advance guys.

ConceptS14 03-27-2008 11:31 AM

put the car in 5th and have someone stand on the brakes.
there should be a mark on the crank pully indicating TDC.
you can also tell by looking at the cam lobes on cylinder 1. cylinder 1 compression stroke is when the cam lobes for that cylinder are facing away from each other. the intake cam lobe will be pointing to the passengerside fender and the exhaust lobes will be pointing to the driverside fender.

Darkvillin 03-28-2008 12:48 AM

thanks for the help brother. i got the crankshaft pulley off no prob thanks to your suggestions. i cant get the damn bottom timing cover off. do i have to separate it from the oil pan as well? i dont wanna go and try yanking the thing off.

dkdeleon 04-01-2008 10:57 AM

You have to drop the oil pan to get the front cover off.

Darkvillin 04-05-2008 03:34 AM

so its 5:23am here in arkansas. i stayed up all night workin on this damn car. i got the valve cover painted (nothing fancy but a sick color i might add), trimmed down and installed my altima fans that i got today, installed my DiF dual fan controller, zip tied the hoses and wiring out of the way, fired her up and added coolant. it idled weird for a couple seconds then idled fine. then it started to die so i shut it off cuz i thought i blew the head. silly me. the fans were trying to come on and apparently they take a lot of juice. i started it up again, she idled fine after like 20 seconds. the 1st fan kicked on then the 2nd and it still ran like a champ. im freakin stoked. ive never done a project like this and not had help. u can make fun if u must, i would. after i get some sleep, ill take her for a test drive and try to put up some pics. can someone tell me how to put the pics directly into the thread instead of me giving a link to photobucket? thanks for your help guys. :bigok:

BigVinnie 04-05-2008 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Darkvillin (Post 361444)
ill take her for a test drive and try to put up some pics. can someone tell me how to put the pics directly into the thread instead of me giving a link to photobucket? thanks for your help guys. :bigok:

Go to www.photobucket.com
or www.imageshack.com

Darkvillin 04-05-2008 10:54 AM

thanks for the help bigvinnie. i need more from u. i drove the car around town a bit and whenever i drive and rev the car to 2300 rpm, the damn thing hesitates quite a bit and seems like i lose a lot of power. beyone 2300 rpm the car just hesitates throughout the rpm range. also, its gettin pretty close to over heating on me and no coolant is getting into the bottom hose. i replaced the water pump and put in a superstat thermostat. the car idles fine and doesnt over heat or hesitate when u rev it. idk if it makes a difference, but i dont have the hose thats connected to the intake and the fan shroud hooked up. the car did this hesitation stuff before i started workin on it, but only after i drove it for more than an hour. and even though my temp guage reads hot, i have the heat on and it isnt blowing hot. any help is appreciated guys. lmk what u think.

BigVinnie 04-05-2008 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Darkvillin (Post 361466)
thanks for the help bigvinnie. i need more from u. i drove the car around town a bit and whenever i drive and rev the car to 2300 rpm, the damn thing hesitates quite a bit and seems like i lose a lot of power. beyone 2300 rpm the car just hesitates throughout the rpm range. also, its gettin pretty close to over heating on me and no coolant is getting into the bottom hose. i replaced the water pump and put in a superstat thermostat. the car idles fine and doesnt over heat or hesitate when u rev it. idk if it makes a difference, but i dont have the hose thats connected to the intake and the fan shroud hooked up. the car did this hesitation stuff before i started workin on it, but only after i drove it for more than an hour. and even though my temp guage reads hot, i have the heat on and it isnt blowing hot. any help is appreciated guys. lmk what u think.

Sounds like the thermostat is bad, or you need to open up the bleeder for the coolant system and fill it up.

Darkvillin 04-05-2008 08:16 PM

i opened up the bleeder valve after my drive home from work (short drive, plus i drove it to work as a test and had to get it home) and after i opened it up, i heard like a gulping noise coming from there. also, my resevoir tank has a huge gash in it. u think that has anything to do with it? seems like a silly question i know. just so u know, my thermostat, water pump, and radiator are brand new. im thinking either i need to bleed the air out better or replace my rad cap and resevoir tank.

i also read a thread on nico about the hesitation problems people are having and most of the people had to check the ground from the battery to the chassis. do u think these new altima fans are taking too much juice and my ground is no good? once i figure out how to use this ohm meter i got, ill check the ground cable. thanks again guys.

dkdeleon 04-18-2008 05:53 AM

If it will not rev above 2300 rpms it is most likely your MAF (mass air flow) or you forgot to reconnect the MAF connector.

Darkvillin 04-19-2008 11:32 AM

i think it is my MAF because when it does idle, the idle climbs then falls and repeats that pattern. im not sure what else could cause that to happen. i also gotta figure out a way to have my car get more spark when the two fans come on, cuz when they do, my car wants to die just idling. it still rises and falls but it goes to about 300rpms instead of just staying at 700rpms like its supposed to. if my battery is too small, could that cause my idle to be low when the fans come on? any ideas?

dkdeleon 04-19-2008 09:44 PM

to fix the MAF problem you need to disconnect the battery for about 20 to 30 minutes. while the battery is disconnected check you maf connection to make sure its connected good then reconnect the battery. this will reset the ecu and it should recognize the maf after reseting. As for the idling problem, you can adjust the idle by turning (a little at a time) the idle adjusting screw on the IACV-AAC valve until the rpms are at desired level.