S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   NA Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/)
-   -   Unique Swap Disapointment (KA vs SR) My story / theory (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/unique-swap-disapointment-ka-vs-sr-my-story-theory-45018/)

S13 シルビア Steve 11-12-2008 10:54 PM

Unique Swap (Disapointment KA vs SR) My story / theory

So I started out in the States, Washington State to be specific, about 3 years ago and I got me a 1990 240sx coupe. I was a young ricer then looking to go fast an do it sideways and flashy. I started to realize the stock KA24DE was not good enough for me, oh yeah the car came with the motor swaped already. I started looking into SR20DET's because they did not have jack **** for the KA at the time.

I started saving what little money I had up to buy an SR20DET, but was still looking at things for the KA that I might be able to upgrade or do in the process. (I always had the theory of why replace a motor when you can build what you have?) When I finally had enough money saved I noticed thing getting more and more popular with the KA and was reallizing I may no need to buy a whole new motor, so I decided to build a KA25DE(T) While I was on cruise I started bying engine internals and picked up a KA24DE Motor Tranny and ECU for $200. when I got off cruise i was going to star the rebuild and notice the 2.6 liter stroker kit and debated for a day and bought it 3 days after the kit was announced.

I tore appart the 91 ka and built the entire botom end of the KA, bored and stroked it to a 2.7 Liter and had the head resurfaced. stock top end and got rid of efery vaccume line ecept for the Fuel pressur regulator and redid the entire fuel system with top feed 550cc injectors, and got an AFC II for fuel control on the stock ECU. It was like a dream the car started first try and sounded mean as hell. I did the brak in period and went balls out from there on out. 5500 rpm red line sucked but I still got the car to 140-145 MPH no problem and could kick her sideways with minimal efort ie 2000-2200rpm throttle feather.

I then moved to japan and decided to take the 2.7 with me to build the head and turbo charge it. I wanted to by another S13 to be able to transfer parts back to my other car in the states. I got a 1989 with an SR20DET swap already done to it.

I was so excited to be getting an SR finally and to boot it is Turbo as well. I finally got in the car and drove it and was so dissapointed in the motor, but once again I have a theory of why replace a motor if you can build the one you have. well I feel that that theory is gone now considering the SR is such a finicky motor and it is only a 2 liter. I am trying to now find some parts to do a reverse SR swap. KA27DE(T) into the RHD Nissan Silvia S13! I am now anxiouse to get it done to be one of the first to put a KA in a real JDM s13 RHD and all. The purpose of this post was to see what all of you think of my Idea and maybe be able to get some contacts for some parts I need to do this Unique Swap.

Biggamehit 11-13-2008 01:00 AM

well first let me start out by saying. i know where steve is coming from. this thread will not turn into a SR vs KA deal lol we have enough of those. if you have your reasons as to why one is better, state it and then provide factual first hand info.

LOT's of people swap SR's and they dont race them. When you race anything, you will began to see the pro's and con's of the motor. When i was home, there was only about 3-4 guys out of the 30ish or so i knew with SR20's that actually raced. 2 of them blew the motors with proper care.

they are not high performance engines. they just happen to be 7psi boosted motors from the factory. now when you get into the valve systems for the later SR's they get much better but the craze over the dated red tops in the states will never go away sadly...

S13 シルビア Steve 11-13-2008 01:11 AM

I agree with Donnie, This is not a KA vs SR argument forum, More Just what people think of a KA in a RHD s13. I would like your inputs and advice on doing the swap because I have only helped with a couple of SR swaps in a LHD 240 in the states. We all have our reasons for going KA or SR, I was just more or less puting a background to my new Idea for a swap. Thanks again Donnie, I did not try to make this a SR vs KA forum.

Biggamehit 11-13-2008 03:13 AM

no problem bro... as for the swap... its just reverse man...

hatrick6 11-13-2008 01:10 PM

great idea man, i look forward to seeing your build as it comes along

p.s. where did you find the 2.6 liter stroker kit for the KA?

S13 シルビア Steve 11-13-2008 02:05 PM

Thanks. I ordered it from Brian Crower directly. I will post a build page when I start working on it again.

jramosthe1st! 11-13-2008 03:32 PM

where exactly in wa are you from?

btw i love the 2.7ka idea, i thought about going up to 2.6l a few years ago but at the time it was more money than i had.

S13 シルビア Steve 11-13-2008 10:40 PM

I am from all over. Mostely Utah, but I spent 4 years in Washington, Whidbey Island, near Bremerton, and the last year has been in Misawa, Japan.
I am very anxious to do the swap myself, but I want to do it right and take my time on it.

USMCDrifter 11-13-2008 11:32 PM

pfft, SR . . . KA . . . .

. . . . .

V8

Yeah, i'm just startin trash, that's what I do . . .

LOL!

But yeah, a 2.7 liter KADET . . . that is insane . . .we need more people on that level of tuning and building, think outside the box and have fun with it. That's what keeps drifting fun and that's what makes grassroots events AWESOME!

fadedsilvia 11-13-2008 11:34 PM

i luv the 2.7 KA in rhd s13 idea dude, GO FOR IT! cant wait for a biuld thread

jramosthe1st! 11-14-2008 12:56 PM

just how mush boost will a 2.7l ka handle though?

USMCDrifter 11-14-2008 01:03 PM

OVER NINE THOUSAAAAANNNDDD!

crazydrifter 11-14-2008 05:28 PM

i remember seeing a video of a rhd ka-t in japan and thought it was a pretty sweet idea. good luck with it.

S13 シルビア Steve 11-14-2008 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st! (Post 376402)
just how mush boost will a 2.7l ka handle though?

I am hoping to boost 1.5 bar, but I would be happy to just boost 1.0.
The only part I will not have the money or time for is the head =(
I would like to be able to rebuild a complete head so I can get my top end back. But reguardless it is still a fun and bad-ass motor!

Biggamehit 11-14-2008 11:45 PM

yea... you dont need mega boost with what the motor can do in N/A form.